User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Volvo power questions?

Is 30psi of boost pressure enough for maximum power on my 16 liter engine? It is supposed to be 450 hp. and create 1650 ft lbs. of torque at 1100 rpm. I have an Eaton 10 speed with 3.73 gears, 395/75R22.5 tires and the color is white.

I had the horsepower increased to 500 believing it would also increase torque, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

These are my woes, and the short history of this truck. :sad:

My truck is a 2007 VNL64T300 with their new 16D Liter engine. It was built in Oct. 2006 so it doesn't have the new emission stuff on it. The first thing that happened was at 250 miles the coolant all leaked out and it took 10 gallons of water and my screwdriver to re-install the bottom radiator hose and re-clamp it to get back to the dealer. (I had to fight with them to install new coolant at no charge as if it was my fault they didn't check the clamps).

After 1500 miles the coolant system wiring harness had to be changed as it seeped coolant into the contacts and coroded them out. (I have had three harnesses installed so far).

It started going through oil so I took it in and they changed or added the copper seals they thought they didn't originally need. It worked for a while but then went through a gallon and a half of oil in 65 miles. They replaced the engine wire harness this time (They say it runs under the head to the injectors and the epoxy they used originally wasn't strong enough. (They have a new epoxy now).

They have so far installed a new Turbo, Headlight Relay Fuses, ECU upgrade, and the newest malfunction,a crankcase pressure switch.
This last one was to cost me over $2000 because I have had the truck over one year. I told them that it was not fair because I have less than 20,000 miles on this truck. Not only that but when the tow truck company towed me in, they didn't "can" the brakes and I had to replace the drums and brakes on my number two axle. The company said they were not liable as they had sufficient air pressure to activate them.

The other maddening thing is that for a brand new truck it is a slug. I have wine bottling equipment in my trailer and weigh in under 65,000 lbs.
total and can barely maintain 45mph up a 3.5% grade. I had it on the dyno and it seems ok, but I am not sure I am getting the 1650 foot lbs of torque I am supposed to. My boost pressure barely hits 30. I am going to dyno it again next week to see if I got what I was supposed to with the upgrade.

Any help will be welcome.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 AM

The company I drive for has a bunch of volvos with engines ranging from the VED 12, D13 and the D16. They are utter crap and are always in the shop while the Petes and the KWs keep ticking.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 AM

I have a volvo D12 and it has been rock solid. You definitely have something going on that is not right. As far as volvo motors being crap, I only laugh. You should look at what most fleets are going too while you are in the fuel lane and the volvo's pass by the pump more often. My motor has 723K on it. Is your truck governed? That could have something to do with it if it is.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Rookie

Thanks Mike for your response and input.

When I first purchased the Volvo, it was governed at 55mph. I had it changed to 75. Can the boost pressure be governed? Also the temperature gets up to 210 degrees when climbing grades that aren't steep enough to have a grade sign. Any thoughts?

I filed a complaint with Volvo and it has been three weeks and I've not had a response. Maybe they are busy with a lot of complaints or they've sent mine snail mail in a new D16. ;-)