User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Brake adjustment

I understand there are not stupid questions when talking about truck , so be easy on me ops: I got a level 1 inspection last week , I was not sited on my brakes but wanted to ask a question . On my paper I recieved, it listed each axle as left and right, and axle 1,2,3 . (I have a 7500 kodiak with a pusher axle). I will try to print int as it read:

Axle# 1-------2--------3
Right 1 3/8---1 1/4 ---1 3/4
Left 1 1/4---1 3/8 ---1 1/2
Chamber C-24---C-20 --- C-30

Now I had the understanding that the slack adjusters could have 1 inch of play ( this is what I learned in CDL Training) Do these figures mean the same ? The inspector had me hold the brake pedal down hard for a few seconds at various times while he was under the truck . Any advise is appreciated . Darin
Old 02-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Senior Board Member

From what I have been told many times, the slack adjusters can have up to 1 1/2" of travel. After adjustment, they should have close to 1", with no more or less the 1/8" difference from side to side.

When the inspector tells you to push the brake pedal down, only push it down 80% of the way. Same goes for when you are checking the travel yourself. Also, when the pedal is pushed down, the adjuster shoud be at a 90 degree angle to the chamber rod.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Board Regular

Thanks but in my case wouldn't my brakes have been out of adjustment according to thier report. I was not cited for it but one was 1 3/4 ,( right axle #3). Also there is some sorta difference in the chambers .
Old 02-17-2008, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Brake adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
I understand there are not stupid questions when talking about truck , so be easy on me ops: I got a level 1 inspection last week , I was not sited on my brakes but wanted to ask a question . On my paper I recieved, it listed each axle as left and right, and axle 1,2,3 . (I have a 7500 kodiak with a pusher axle). I will try to print int as it read:

Axle# 1-------2--------3
Right 1 3/8---1 1/4 ---1 3/4
Left 1 1/4---1 3/8 ---1 1/2
Chamber C-24---C-20 --- C-30

Now I had the understanding that the slack adjusters could have 1 inch of play ( this is what I learned in CDL Training) Do these figures mean the same ? The inspector had me hold the brake pedal down hard for a few seconds at various times while he was under the truck . Any advise is appreciated . Darin

(e) Clamp and Roto-Chamber Brake Actuator Readjustment limits. The pushrod travel for clamp and roto-chamber type actuators must be less than 80 percent of the rated strokes listed in SAE J1817-Long Stroke Air Brake Actuator Marking, July 2001 (See §393.7(b) for information on incorporation by reference and availability of this document), or 80 percent of the rated stroke marked on the brake chamber by the chamber manufacturer, or the readjustment limit marked on the brake chamber by the chamber manufacturer. The pushrod travel for Type 16 and 20 long stroke clamp type brake actuators must be less than 51 mm (2 inches) or 80 percent of the rated stroke marked on the brake chamber by the chamber manufacturer, or the readjustment limit marked on the brake chamber by the chamber manufacturer.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:49 AM
Board Regular

Thanks Fredog, I will keep an eye on them , probably get someone that can show me hands on and make sure they are and remain correct.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Board Regular

I saw a neat video on brake adjustment last night . I will try to link it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXG4gjzEbDU
Old 02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Rookie

Thank you for posting that link - some very interesting and useful stuff for all of us, not just the new driver. I had no idea YouTube had instructional video on it.. Great find.