User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Default Volvo clutch brake adjust??

I'am looking for help with adjusting the clutch brake on my 1 million mile 2001 Volvo 770 Cummins N14 with Meritor 10. The clutch was replaced at 750k. I did a search and found some info from Bob H but need more info.
I have done clutch work on cars and light trucks but have never worked on a heavy truck clutch.
Thanks BIll
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

assuming it's an easy-pedal clutch;... if it has hydraulic linkage, the only difference is that the free travel at the release bearing is nil (the final adjustment for mechanical linkage is 1/8")
Old 10-10-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob h
assuming it's an easy-pedal clutch;... if it has hydraulic linkage, the only difference is that the free travel at the release bearing is nil (the final adjustment for mechanical linkage is 1/8")
I'll be under it tomorrow and will find out if I need more info
Bill
Old 11-15-2007, 10:57 PM

I just finished replacing my clutch brake. Not alot of fun! First I split it into pieces with a air chisel and then used careful applications of my torch and chisel to remove the pieces, and installed the two piece. I now have a working clutch brake.
The clutch is a Eaton-Fuller. There is a single bolt with a arrow pointing in a clockwise direction. Do I remove this bolt to adjust the disc or is this the adjustment?
Bill
Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzostd1
I just finished replacing my clutch brake. Not alot of fun! First I split it into pieces with a air chisel and then used careful applications of my torch and chisel to remove the pieces, and installed the two piece. I now have a working clutch brake.
The clutch is a Eaton-Fuller. There is a single bolt with a arrow pointing in a clockwise direction. Do I remove this bolt to adjust the disc or is this the adjustment?
Bill
it is the adjustment... use a 5/8 socket to push the bolt in and hold it, rotate clockwise to tighten the adjust, ccw to back it off... the bolt will only turn if the clutch is released

careful with that clutch brake, it is not torque limiting
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
it is the adjustment... use a 5/8 socket to push the bolt in and hold it, rotate clockwise to tighten the adjust, ccw to back it off... the bolt will only turn if the clutch is released
Bob, didn't you mean turn it clockwise to loosen the adj. (give more free pedal), and CCW to "tighten" the adj. (give less free pedal) ???
Old 11-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the replies....I'll be underneath, "adjusting" ...Fri. morning
Bill
Old 11-18-2007, 01:27 PM

New clutch brake installed and properly adjusted. (I'am pretty sure)
Thanks again for great advice!
Bill
Landstar Driver
Old 11-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:
Bob, didn't you mean turn it clockwise to loosen the adj. (give more free pedal), and CCW to "tighten" the adj. (give less free pedal) ???

clockwise rotation moves the pressure plate closer to the flywheel... this adds pedal free travel
Old 11-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob h
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:

clockwise rotation moves the pressure plate closer to the flywheel... this adds pedal free travel
Yes, that is what I call "loosening" the adjustment, because if the clutch adjustment is "tight",(no free pedal travel) it needs to be loosened by turning the adjuster clockwise, therefore moving the pressure plate closer to the discs which results in the release bearing moving rearward, away from the release fork, giving more free travel at the pedal before the fork contacts the release bearing.

This internal adjustment has no effect on clutch brake squeeze however.

The way I do it is to set up the external linkage first, to get the proper clutch brake squeeze with the pedal slightly off the floor, then once that is set, I adjust the adjuster on the pressure plate to give the 1/8 clearance between the release bearing and the fork, and take note of how much free travel the clutch pedal has at this point.

On subsequent adjustments I can then just turn the adjuster to regain the previously noted amount of free pedal, resulting in the 1/8 in. clearance automatically.