User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Espar not firing, I have the solution!

For years my espar always took a few tries to fire up, and lately it was getting much worse. When it would finally fire(sometimes as long as 30 minutes) there would be a loud low rumble.

The solution is simple, maintenance. None of this is really covered in the manual, but the manual does make a vague reference to it.

The problem is by the glow plug.

Take the top cover of the unit off. Now take the rubber grommet for the glow plug off.

You can do one of two things, you can take the spark plug out(this requires a special tool, or you can grind a metric socket to fit over the wires) to clean out the port from the inside. Rr you can take a paper clip and bend it in a certain way, to get at the port from the "outside"(but inside the main unit, you'll know what I mean.

What you're looking for is a small port on the intake side of the spark plug chamber. It will be totally full of carbon.

You need to clean out that port. Me and my old man took the whole unit apart, only to realize we didn't really need to do that. Oh well.

Put it back together, and it fired as soon as the fuel pump started working, instantly! It sounded so healthy.

That port is needed to give it a proper mixture, before it enters the main chamber.