Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Narrowing my choices Please Put in your vote!! And Comments! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/7482-narrowing-my-choices-please-put-your-vote-comments.html)

Maveric 03-22-2005 01:56 PM

Narrowing my choices Please Put in your vote!! And Comments!

Well I have taken 35 companies and whittled it down to 7 in order of preference (so far).

Crete
Roehl
Gordon
Stevens
Schneider
deBoer
US Express

I am still a little confused on US Express and Stevens if they take new grads or have CDL courses or not.
My ranking is based on reading hundreds of posts, CPM starting pay. There is about 20 more factors that I will need to make the final decisions that I will get from interviewing the recruiters.

So select the company your most impressed with. A little background on my requirements. I am not concered with home time (a few days or a week every 3 months is good for me) but employee treatment, equipment, and milage are the biggest things. A great Dental plan would be nice too so I can afford to get my damn teeth fixed.

bluebeetle 03-22-2005 02:49 PM

But I am biased!

Maveric 03-22-2005 02:58 PM

Nothing wrong with being biased, but since you are please state your reasons why you (if you were in my shoes) whould choose Crete.

yoopr 03-22-2005 03:25 PM

uh-Cuz he Works for Them :D :D

marklangdon4 03-22-2005 05:07 PM

Stevens accepts recent graduates, plus they have their own training. If you don't have any reason to be home. Stevens is the way to go. I am looking into a few other companies. Might actually have a job with an O/O from this board. Plus app is going into Crete. Swift called me back. Shocker. anyway good luck on your search

727guy 03-22-2005 05:20 PM

Well, it boils down to what is right for "you" and your situation. What is right for me or someone else may not be what's right for you.

Personally, I think Crete is #1. But since they don't do training, and I can't afford the extra $$, or an extra student loan, I'm going with Stevens Transport for at least a year. Then I'm planning on going with Crete.

My brother has been with Crete a number of years, and he loves it there. He says Crete is the best trucking company he has ever worked for. He recent got raised up to either 42 or 45 cents per mile, don't remember which.

One of their benefits is they get a $1,000 referral bonus for everyone they get hired. My brother said that some drivers make an extra $4K-5K per year just in job referrals. So I'm gonna put my brothers name on my application after my year of experience (sorry Bluebeetle). :D

Here's my reasons for going with Stevens over other companies:
1. I'm single, not dating, and no family close by so home time isn't important to me.
2. Stevens you have to stay out at least 6 weeks...the less home time for me is all the better. More miles that way.
3. Driving a nice truck in good shape that's not going to keep falling apart on me will keep me on the road and getting the miles.
4. I've heard too many bad things about the other companies. I know no company is perfect. But I'm more comfortable with my decision going with Stevens than any other company.

727guy

bluebeetle 03-22-2005 05:28 PM

Stability - Debt free, privately owned, less then 40% turnover rate, growth ability in base pay, profitability.

Reputation - Known for hiring quality professionals, on time delivery reputation, open door policy.

Equipment - Clean, newer model trucks, good looking trailers, several terminals nationwide to take care of equipment.

Negatives

Home time - Get drivers home every 14-18 days. These issues are being addressed currently to improve to get drivers home in more time manner.

Don't hold drivers hands - Some of our policies seem severe to drivers who have limited experience in making management type decisions.

Both the good and the bad!

marklangdon4 03-22-2005 09:01 PM

bluebeetle, are you a recruiter for Crete? If so we should talk sometime

Maveric 03-22-2005 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bluebeetle:
Stability - Debt free, privately owned, less then 40% turnover rate, growth ability in base pay, profitability.

Reputation - Known for hiring quality professionals, on time delivery reputation, open door policy.

Equipment - Clean, newer model trucks, good looking trailers, several terminals nationwide to take care of equipment.

Negatives

Home time - Get drivers home every 14-18 days. These issues are being addressed currently to improve to get drivers home in more time manner.

Don't hold drivers hands - Some of our policies seem severe to drivers who have limited experience in making management type decisions.

Both the good and the bad!

Thanks bluebeetle for the honest truth, I respect that, ALOT!

As far as training goes I can go either way, I can use my GI Bill money and goto Fox Valley Tech, only thing with that is that I might have to wait till May 2nd to get in, but it is a very good school I am told. (I am the type of person who takes great pride in anything I do and demand that I be the best I can be, so I want the best training I can get). At the same time I have no problem with going through a company training program on a 1 year contract either. I have enough money saved to cover whatever I would need.

Ridge Runner 03-22-2005 09:45 PM

Re: Narrowing my choices Please Put in your vote!! And Comme

Originally Posted by Maveric:

I am still a little confused on US Express and Stevens if they take new grads or have CDL courses or not.

Maveric,

The last time I was at Medway USX was shuting down the school. They do however take new Grads. and have a a good finishing program. They are a top notch company as far as I'm concerned. Not to say that the others are'nt. As a matter of fact your list looks about like mine did when I was at the same stage you are. Just keep narrowing it down.

littleman2 03-22-2005 11:07 PM

I perfer Gordon, Only because they were the best I worked for. But you have to get your CDL on your own. Also You need to live in the 11 Western States.

bluebeetle 03-23-2005 12:46 PM

Yes I am a Recruiter for Crete Carrier.

Maveric 03-23-2005 01:00 PM

come on folks, make your voice heard!!

Ok, now. There is 3778 registered users on this board and I only have 14 votes. So come on folks help out. I would like to get a total of 50 votes before I make a decision.

FlyByWire 03-23-2005 01:05 PM

<----------------------------------

What state are you in?

Maveric 03-23-2005 02:03 PM

I am currently in Green Bay, WI but also have a house in Clearlake, CA

marklangdon4 03-23-2005 04:07 PM

thats cool, just submitted my app with crete, waiting on a call. I will probably call them on Monday if I haven't heard anything.

long_hauler2005 03-23-2005 04:23 PM

Hey Blue... waht are due you recruit out of?

bluebeetle 03-23-2005 06:15 PM

I am in Lincoln, Ne.

marklangdon4 we got your app and it is being reviewed at this time.

long_hauler2005 03-23-2005 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by long_hauler2005:

Hey Blue... waht are due you recruit out of?

Talk about not being able to type... or proofread before submitting....

BlueBeetle ... check your pm

Maveric 03-24-2005 12:54 PM

^bump

GirlnamedShannon 03-24-2005 01:20 PM

Never mind.

Ridge Runner 03-24-2005 03:36 PM

One other thing you might want to think about: One day I droped by the school that I attended and the guy in the office was on the phone with a company trying to get the grades and verify a formed student. Just so happened the student screwed the school over and they did not get paid. All of a sudden the school DK (did'nt know ) the student. I'm not saying right or wrong but if you go to a company school and leave before working full time on your contract ( get license then quit ) the same thing might happen. Yep, I went to a "mill" ( I know hindsight ) and paid up front, but I do own my license free and clear. Just knowing that takes a lot of stress off me. May be also why some training companies ( dispatch )
treat you worse because think you have no other choices. Just a thought.

Maveric 03-24-2005 07:55 PM

Good points! I really want to goto the tech college driving school if I can afford to wait till May. I am just not sure if I can hold out for another 6 months with no real income. Have to crunch some numbers, but my thanks for the comments. Good food for thought.

Maveric 03-25-2005 04:18 AM

One other quick question. When should a someone apply to companies for a pre-hire?

wanderingson 03-25-2005 07:25 AM

Maveric,I did cast a vote. In my 7 yrs in the business,and talking to and training drivers,I think Schneider has one of the better training programs.

If you live in Green Bay, that is a good thing as far as Sni goes. You are close to the home terminal,which may get you home more often.

With Sni,and many other big companies,they will train you,but you have to commit to them for 1 year,or else pay them back for your training.
Getting your class A from a tech school may be a better choice.....it will cost you more out of pocket,but you will not be tied down or obligated to any company. In my opinion,this gives a driver more options.

As you know,most companies want experience,but many will train a school grad with CDL in hand. I think this is the way to go.

GMAN 03-26-2005 04:44 AM

Some time ago my sister and her first husband drove team for Crete.

They really loved the company. They worked out of the Knoxville, TN

terminal. If I were you I would find a junior college or vocational training

school and pay for my own training. That way regardless which company

you choose, should you decide to leave you would not leave with a big

financial obligation. A fellow I know went through Schneider's program

and had to stay for a year. Had he left prior to the end of the year he

would have been obligated for up to $5,000. He kept the agreement and

left after a year. If you go through a local junior college or vocational

school they will usually assist you in job placement with no charge! :D

Maveric 03-26-2005 06:15 AM

Yea that is what I am trying to do, just not sure if I will be able to with the funds I have saved.

Maveric 03-28-2005 12:16 AM

Well I started a Blog

I decided to start a Blog today. Now i still am not sure if I will be becoming a truck driver yet or not (will find that out on monday) but none the less I thought you all might be interested in following the posts in it.
I will try and update it daily and if I do become a truck driver it will be a fun read I ma sure.

http://mavericsadventure.blogspot.com/

So stop by if you get a chance and let me know what you all think of it and anything I should change.

long_hauler2005 03-28-2005 12:27 AM

Great Blog Maveric... will have to remeber to check it out as you go. Happy easter....

Maveric 03-28-2005 01:50 AM

Thanks long haul, Happy Easter to you too!

Maveric 03-28-2005 09:59 PM

Well just got word, the position at Aflac was cancledby upper management. So truck driving ......Here I come!