Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   USF Glen Moore (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/42071-usf-glen-moore.html)

madaxeman 12-20-2011 06:24 AM

USF Glen Moore

Glen Moore treated me very well and weren't full of sheet like most companies who blow smoke up your rear. I think most Glen Moore drivers would agree after talking to and working along side them all year. I really enjoyed working for them.

Thanks for screwing me and a whole lot of other drivers the week before Christmas, Celadon! It only costed me $200 out of my pocket to get home with my property. You offer people a bus ticket or the price of one which does a whole lot of good to get home when you have all of your stuff in your truck. You force all of our Glen Moore loads there then give them away to Celadon drivers while we sit there in your fire hazard cluster funk of what you call a drivers lounge and classroom. That was the most disorganized sheet I've ever seen. You have several different management employees all telling you something different when you ask specific questions about the company. Then, you won't let us leave the terminal since we don't have our personal vehicles there because you forced us there with no advanced notice (like it's a Nazi concentration camp). That communal bathroom, those showers and those bunk rooms are beyond disgusting. Charge drivers for a prepass (a company expense...not a driver expense) then force them onto the crappiest route possible but don't pay them for the miles so they can use all of their hours on your e-logs. Sit for an entire 48 hours before you pay a dime of layover pay. Sit for four hours before you pay one cent of detention pay. Who cares, right? Celadon profits off of the misfortunes of others. Screw the drivers! You're number one...and I'm not holding up my index finger. Happy Holidays from Strap-it-on!

Malaki86 12-20-2011 07:05 AM

I take it that you didn't stay with Celadon? I've been here for 18 months now and, for the most part, pretty happy. They keep me rolling, that's for sure. I've got right at 120,000 miles in for this year and I've already had 3 weeks vacation, as well as my normal time off. I'm due home tomorrow to start my Christmas vacation and won't come back out until the 2nd.

No, they're anything but perfect, but, like I said, for the most part, they keep me happy.

BTW - if you think that the Indy terminal has nasty conditions in the bathroom/showers, glad you didn't go to our Laredo terminal and especially not the Richmond one. Greensboro, well, there's no shower, just a single bathroom. Waxahachie, that's a good one (best in the company).

madaxeman 12-20-2011 09:39 PM

Stay with Celadon? I never worked for Celadon. Large companies with 1000+ trucks suck. They don't care about you. I'm talking about companies like Celadon, Schneider, JB Hunt, Knight, Western Express, CRST, Transport America, etc...not the ones where you actually make great money. You are dispensible and they don't care if you work for them because they are a mill with 10 people to replace you. What you take home for the year, I made a lot more than that like 4 years ago. I was off 3-4 days every other weekend, too. I was home like clockwork. Sacrificing your entire year (about 85%-90% of your time) and making what you make isn't anything special. Celadon's pay (what you will take home) is a huge downgrade for drivers from Glen Moore. The insurance is a huge downgrade...and yet it costs drivers more! I don't need to be micro-managed 24/7 by ridiculous nonsense policies. You have e-logs because they hire idiot drivers who screwed you all! I'm not going to just park "wherever" because Celadon has given customers 4 hours of YOUR time for free! I'm not going to sit around for two days FOR FREE! I'm not going to be forced on some half-ass route and eat up all of my hours driving miles you are not going paying me for. Sorry! I drive to make a significant amount of cash...not pocket change. They couldn't even cover my cost to get home with my property after they forced me there...because they don't give a flying flock. I don't live in Indianapolis!

Malaki86 12-20-2011 10:38 PM

I was at the Carlisle yard today and spoke with a few of the Glen Moore drivers that were staying. They're keeping the same pay rate. They're also getting new trucks and we have a hell of a lot better trailers than Glen Moore. As for sitting for 2 days waiting on a load, that has happened to me a total of 1 time in the past 21 months I've been with them. And I wasn't the only one sitting - every truck in Laredo at the time was stuck. Why? How about a hurricane that flooded the river. Driving out of route to save tolls - nope. Hell, they deadheaded me home just south of MOrgantown, WV today and they routed me on the turnpike from Carlisle to Bedford. I get a day off for every 7 days I'm out. I get a week's paid vacation for every 30,000 miles I'm dispatched. I just started a 2-week vacation today, and that makes 4 weeks for the year. As for the e-logs, they're going to end up in every truck on the highway anyway, so why worry about it? I get more than enough LEGAL miles that I don't worry about it. I've worked for small companies that MADE you run and made a hell of a lot less money. But, you do your thing, I'll do mine.

madaxeman 12-21-2011 11:40 PM

Very few are "staying". They have either moved on already or they are looking for a new job right now. A lot just used the new truck to get home since Celadon forced everyone there and stranded people. YRC owns the terminal where I parked. I have nowhere to put a 70' truck. Celadon couldn't give me a straight answer about anything when I asked questions. How many days have you sat LESS THAN TWO DAYS AND GOT PAID NOTHING? How many times have you waited at a customer LESS THAN FOUR HOURS AND GOT PAID NOTHING? EXACTLY! Those policies have red flag written all over them or those policies wouldn't exist like that. I guess you never noticed how Glen Moore drivers (and every other company who gives two hours free) were in and out of shippers and consignees...and all of the drivers of companies who give away your time for free were still sitting there. You can dumb down the pay rate but it's not the same. Compare your take home check to a Glen Moore driver's one who was actually running. They are not even close. How many checks (take home pay after taxes, insurance, etc.) do you have that exceed $1000-1200? What is your average take home weekly? According to Celadon's CEO, he said $850 pre-tax which amounts to about 600-700/week. That is nothing! I can work two regular jobs, make more money, have a lot more free time (and by free time, I mean not stuck wherever babysitting a truck and/or load), etc. I made $40k+ the first year I drove, straight out of school, working for a medium-sized company (about 425-450 van drivers). That includes the fact that I started at .295 and got raises every three months boosting me to .35 after a year. That was practical mileage, too. I got paid for about 97-102% of the actual miles I drove. You might get paid for 85-90% of the miles you drive at an already cut rate. I don't think you really realize how much time you sacrifice (from the time you leave in your truck til you get home and out of the truck), the work you do which you get paid $0, etc. Divide your total pay by the quantity of hours you sacrifice of your life in a truck and the pay is mediocre (at best). Four weeks vacation plus the 42 days you earned off (7/8 of a day per week) equals 70 days off for the entire year...or 295 days in a truck 24/7. That is 7080 hours you are stuck in/with a truck. Even if you sleep 8 hours a day (which I don't) and subtract that, it's still 4720 hours. If you are lucky enough to make $40k for the year, that comes to less than $9/hr....and a year gone from your life. You can drive locally for a good company and make more than that. If you are happy with what you make, more power to you. I need a whole lot better than that. You can't "buy more time". I'm not 21 years old. Best of luck to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 506613)
I was at the Carlisle yard today and spoke with a few of the Glen Moore drivers that were staying. They're keeping the same pay rate. They're also getting new trucks and we have a hell of a lot better trailers than Glen Moore. As for sitting for 2 days waiting on a load, that has happened to me a total of 1 time in the past 21 months I've been with them. And I wasn't the only one sitting - every truck in Laredo at the time was stuck. Why? How about a hurricane that flooded the river. Driving out of route to save tolls - nope. Hell, they deadheaded me home just south of MOrgantown, WV today and they routed me on the turnpike from Carlisle to Bedford. I get a day off for every 7 days I'm out. I get a week's paid vacation for every 30,000 miles I'm dispatched. I just started a 2-week vacation today, and that makes 4 weeks for the year. As for the e-logs, they're going to end up in every truck on the highway anyway, so why worry about it? I get more than enough LEGAL miles that I don't worry about it. I've worked for small companies that MADE you run and made a hell of a lot less money. But, you do your thing, I'll do mine.

Malaki86 12-22-2011 05:41 AM

Well, I guess you can look at it like this: USF Glen Moore was in the process of closing down their operations when Celadon made the offer to purchase them. So, you would've been out of a job before the end of the year anyway, along with every other driver for them. It's possible that they could've even went as far as doing what Arrow Trucking did a couple years back. That information came from high up at Celadon's management.

BOL in the job searching

madaxeman 12-22-2011 06:23 AM

That's true that Yellow-Roadway Corp. was going to shut the doors down Jan 1. I heard that after the fact. That's fine...but it was the whole sneaky way that it went down. None of us were told anything! We were just forced to Indy at the last minute. They wouldn't even cover getting me home with my property. I had to pay $175 out of my pocket because Celadon gave me $48 and I had to rent a car which costed about $225 with gas. I could have just stayed at home with all of my stuff since I had just left two days earlier. Regardless, I cleaned the inside of the truck before I left because I have class and do what is right. They have none and don't care about anything. We made $560 million blah blah blah but we treat people like sheet. We don't care how or if you get home with your property. That's what it comes down to. Celadon was only looking at their own financial interests in acquiring the property and customer base for cheap and the almighty dollar they can make from it. They are a greedy corporation and all that matters is making money for shareholders.

Malaki86 12-22-2011 11:45 AM

They're not allowed to tell you anything. Ever hear of the term "insider trading"? Celadon and YRC are publicly traded companies.

As for them only paying you $48 and you had to pay the rest, why is Celadon responsible? You're the one that quit. They didn't fire you. You left on your own.

Windwalker 12-23-2011 02:57 AM

As I recall, back at the "turn of the century", Celadon did not have a very good reputation. A little better than C R England, but not by much. I still haven't figured out how they wiggled out of a conspiracy charge for paying the general manager of another company to run that company into bankruptcy. The (former) general manager of that company went to prison for industrial espionage, and Celadon was actually behind it all. I never worked for them, but I was working for the company that went bankrupt because of them. They got some of the drivers, picked the rolling stock they wanted, and took over the whole customer base.

Mackman 12-23-2011 03:56 AM

hey madaxeman. I dont blame you i would be pissed too. Sounds like you had a good job. Sucks a coolie bought you guys out. Just keep on looking im sure something will pop up.

Orangetxguy 12-23-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madaxeman (Post 506659)
That's true that Yellow-Roadway Corp. was going to shut the doors down Jan 1. I heard that after the fact. That's fine...but it was the whole sneaky way that it went down. None of us were told anything! We were just forced to Indy at the last minute. They wouldn't even cover getting me home with my property. I had to pay $175 out of my pocket because Celadon gave me $48 and I had to rent a car which costed about $225 with gas. I could have just stayed at home with all of my stuff since I had just left two days earlier. Regardless, I cleaned the inside of the truck before I left because I have class and do what is right. They have none and don't care about anything. We made $560 million blah blah blah but we treat people like sheet. We don't care how or if you get home with your property. That's what it comes down to. Celadon was only looking at their own financial interests in acquiring the property and customer base for cheap and the almighty dollar they can make from it. They are a greedy corporation and all that matters is making money for shareholders.

While I can appreciate your contempt for Celadon, for the money you are out getting yourself home..........Why are you so surprised that Glen Moore was sold? YRC offered them up for sale a couple years ago, when they sold off the "Logistics" side of USF. You have not mentioned if you received a WARN letter in late October. Did you and the rest of the Glen Moore drivers receive one of those? If so....the hand writing was on the wall. 60 days after the issuance of that WARN....you were going to be out the door. YRC has been slowly sliding into the toilet for 4 years. They should finish the slide in the next year or so.

You had a choice. Drive for Celadon until you found something better.....or walk. You chose to walk. Why cry about your choice?

Perhaps you will find the money you want to make in the Chicago area. I doubt it.

I'm not trying to be ignorant towards you......But you did make a choice.

If you want to try something different, get in touch with Ergon Trucking and see if you can get hooked up with them hauling oil in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. You would make about what you have been averaging at Glenn Moore....if not 1/2 again as much more.

Ergon Trucking, Inc. Employment

Windwalker 12-23-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 506690)
While I can appreciate your contempt for Celadon, for the money you are out getting yourself home..........Why are you so surprised that Glen Moore was sold? YRC offered them up for sale a couple years ago, when they sold off the "Logistics" side of USF. You have not mentioned if you received a WARN letter in late October. Did you and the rest of the Glen Moore drivers receive one of those? If so....the hand writing was on the wall. 60 days after the issuance of that WARN....you were going to be out the door. YRC has been slowly sliding into the toilet for 4 years. They should finish the slide in the next year or so.

You had a choice. Drive for Celadon until you found something better.....or walk. You chose to walk. Why cry about your choice?

Perhaps you will find the money you want to make in the Chicago area. I doubt it.

If you want to try something different, get in touch with Ergon Trucking and see if you can get hooked up with them hauling oil in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. You would make about what you have been averaging at Glenn Moore....if not 1/2 again as much more.

I don't know about Celadon and Glen Moore. I do know that when ITC was sold to M S Carriers back in '98, we got absolutely no warning until one morning in November. We got to the terminal and everybody was milling around. Even the office personal were stunned that the company was sold. No one got any advanced warning about it. And, M S Carriers was one great big step down. Not in their pay, but in the way they treated their drivers. Of the 293 drivers they put on their payroll (out of 315), only six were left after two months. There was very "underhanded" treatment of drivers and a number of flat-out lies. We did find out from one of the former ITC exec's later, that M S Carriers did not want anyone to know they were buying us out because they did not want the drivers to "jump ship".

With the "back door" means that Celadon used to put one of their competing companies out of business, I've never had any respect for them. I would not be the least bit surprised they went about it the same way M S Carriers did. Total and complete surprise. I've always ranked them somewhere along with (not so) Swift.

madaxeman 12-26-2011 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 506663)
They're not allowed to tell you anything. Ever hear of the term "insider trading"? Celadon and YRC are publicly traded companies.

As for them only paying you $48 and you had to pay the rest, why is Celadon responsible? You're the one that quit. They didn't fire you. You left on your own.

If you disclose it publicly, it isn't insider trading. Companies sell assets and attempt mergers and takeovers all of the time....just like AT&T was trying to acquire T-Mobile....and a billion other deals you see all of the time.

I didn't quit nor was I fired. I NEVER WORKED FOR CELADON...NOR WOULD I EVER! I worked for USF Glen Moore dba YRC Glen Moore. Celadon bought the assets and shut the doors on Glen Moore! THE COMPANY I WORKED FOR NO LONGER EXISTS! Celadon forced me and every other driver (GLEN MOORE EMPLOYEEs), my load (A GLEN MOORE LOAD), my company truck (A GLEN MOORE TRUCK AND TRAILER) to Indy where they stranded me. Glen Moore would've made arrangements to get me home even I decided to quit. That's the difference between these run of the mill companies that don't give a flying flock about people!

Frankly, it puzzles me that you are trying to justify the mistreatment of drivers because of greed...just because you work for Celadon! That is why cheap freight companies have and will continue to mistreat drivers...and the industry treatment of drivers, pay, etc. went to hell...because people just shrug like it's no big deal. Steering wheel holding puppets who need to be micromanaged and don't know the difference are a dime a dozen.

madaxeman 12-26-2011 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 506686)
As I recall, back at the "turn of the century", Celadon did not have a very good reputation. A little better than C R England, but not by much. I still haven't figured out how they wiggled out of a conspiracy charge for paying the general manager of another company to run that company into bankruptcy. The (former) general manager of that company went to prison for industrial espionage, and Celadon was actually behind it all. I never worked for them, but I was working for the company that went bankrupt because of them. They got some of the drivers, picked the rolling stock they wanted, and took over the whole customer base.

It really would not surprise me if it is later revealed that there was more than one Burlington ordeal! Sorry that you got caught up in the whole mess! Hopefully, you are a lot better off now. :)

I have 34-1/2 months experience, hazmat, tanker, doubles/triples, a passport, no tickets, no DUIs and no criminal record. I should be able to find something decent after the holidays. (Celadon gave me a sheet saying I only have 25 months experience for whatever reason...which is completely inaccurate!)

madaxeman 12-26-2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 506687)
hey madaxeman. I dont blame you i would be pissed too. Sounds like you had a good job. Sucks a coolie bought you guys out. Just keep on looking im sure something will pop up.

Thanks, Mackman! Yes, it was a pretty good job for drivers to have. We got paid pretty well (above average) and had excellent benefits. We were treated really well not only as drivers but as people, too. Many of the drivers were there for a very long time. I feel really bad for them. It happened a week before Christmas, too. The drivers had class and were great people...as well as the rest of the employees in Carlisle and White Pine. I'll miss everyone! I hope they all find great new jobs soon. :)

madaxeman 12-26-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 506690)

Orangetxguy,

None of us received any letters whatsoever. We found out on December 15th about 3:30PM via a Qualcomm message (wherever we happened to be with our loads). I actually just left home to go back out again on the 12th (from time off at home).

I do understand YRC is/was having financial issues. The Yellow-Roadway merger came at a bad time and the economy went down the toilet. They laid off a lot of drivers. For the sake of all of the drivers and employees that still work there, I hope they can turn it around.

Celadon is a huge downgrade that involves a lot of complications, a significant pay cut (among other things), and it's not really a "choice". It was more like a forced ultimatum. You couldn't even get a straight answer about anything from Sell-a-con when you asked specific questions. It's like o........k! All of the Glen Moore drivers I talked to either left or were searching for other work. It wasn't a feasible option for me (and most GM drivers) for many reasons.

You are right about Chicago though. I don't plan on staying in Chicago and was actually about to transfer/move when this happened. I did put aside a significant amount while working for Glen Moore. I'm not married and don't have children. I do have some time to job hunt and find something significantly better. I will check out Ergon. Thanks for the recommendation!

madaxeman 12-26-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 506693)
I don't know about Celadon and Glen Moore. I do know that when ITC was sold to M S Carriers back in '98, we got absolutely no warning until one morning in November. We got to the terminal and everybody was milling around. Even the office personal were stunned that the company was sold. No one got any advanced warning about it. And, M S Carriers was one great big step down. Not in their pay, but in the way they treated their drivers. Of the 293 drivers they put on their payroll (out of 315), only six were left after two months. There was very "underhanded" treatment of drivers and a number of flat-out lies. We did find out from one of the former ITC exec's later, that M S Carriers did not want anyone to know they were buying us out because they did not want the drivers to "jump ship".

With the "back door" means that Celadon used to put one of their competing companies out of business, I've never had any respect for them. I would not be the least bit surprised they went about it the same way M S Carriers did. Total and complete surprise. I've always ranked them somewhere along with (not so) Swift.

Windwalker,

That sums it up pretty well! If they actually told us ahead of time, Celadon would have had to pay to recover all of the trucks and loads to their seedy operations, too...instead of the underhanded way they did it for a lot less money. I parked at USF Holland's terminal which they don't own. I know numerous drivers (all over the country) who didn't live near Carlisle or White Pine, parked at 'non-Glen Moore' YRC locations (Holland, Yellow-Roadway, etc.).

Malaki86 12-26-2011 09:59 AM

I just love it how you're pissed at Celadon not telling you about the buyout and not Glen Moore. You also keep saying how great you were paid - maybe that's why they went out of business.

Windwalker 12-26-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madaxeman (Post 506770)
It really would not surprise me if it is later revealed that there was more than one Burlington ordeal! Sorry that you got caught up in the whole mess! Hopefully, you are a lot better off now. :)

I have 34-1/2 months experience, hazmat, tanker, doubles/triples, a passport, no tickets, no DUIs and no criminal record. I should be able to find something decent after the holidays. (Celadon gave me a sheet saying I only have 25 months experience for whatever reason...which is completely inaccurate!)

You kept your pay records from Glen Moore for tax purposes, didn't you? What period of time to they cover? If you have pay records for 34 months, you can tell Celadon to "KISS YOUR .....". Next job, take your pay records to your next employer to prove how long you were there. If Celadon insists that you only have 25 months, you may need to account for an eleven months gap in employment when talking to the new employer. But, if you can produce pay records to cover all 34 1/2 months, it shows that the information from Celadon is unreliable.

Mackman 12-26-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 506777)
You also keep saying how great you were paid - maybe that's why they went out of business.

I love people that think like that LMAO. Let me keep working for lower wages so the company can stay in business. Thats great thinking. Like the company really cares about you. Your just a run of the mill driver to them mega carriers.

Malaki its sounds like your a good driver that cares about your job. Which is hard to come by now a days. But Celadon could careless if you leave 2morrow. Or have one little mess up and they will get rid of you.

GMAN 12-26-2011 04:37 PM

YRC has been living on borrowed time for several years. No company can survive by paying wages and benefits so much higher than that of their competition. With the help of the unions, they have priced themselves out of the market. Unless a company can offer their services at a competitive rate they won't stay in business long.

madaxeman 12-27-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 506778)
You kept your pay records from Glen Moore for tax purposes, didn't you? What period of time to they cover? If you have pay records for 34 months, you can tell Celadon to "KISS YOUR .....". Next job, take your pay records to your next employer to prove how long you were there. If Celadon insists that you only have 25 months, you may need to account for an eleven months gap in employment when talking to the new employer. But, if you can produce pay records to cover all 34 1/2 months, it shows that the information from Celadon is unreliable.

It wasn't all with Glen Moore but yes I can prove I have 34.5 months OTR experience. I have proof that shows otherwise. I'm not really worried about that. I do still have to print off my settlement statements so I can get some more money from the government back (from taxes). Thanks for the reminder! :D

madaxeman 12-27-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 506789)
I love people that think like that LMAO. Let me keep working for lower wages so the company can stay in business. Thats great thinking. Like the company really cares about you. Your just a run of the mill driver to them mega carriers.

Malaki its sounds like your a good driver that cares about your job. Which is hard to come by now a days. But Celadon could careless if you leave 2morrow. Or have one little mess up and they will get rid of you.

My thoughts exactly! You can work at McDonald's for $6-7/hr (or whatever they pay) or at Portillo's for $12/hr. You are doing the exact same thing. Why work for less money? It's the same with any other job. Some places pay more for doing the exact same thing. Others (most) try to milk your efforts and pay a fraction of what you should be making. In OTR trucking, you have to make a lot of sacrifices of your time. I'm not just talking about when you are driving. Being forced to sit for several hours - two days and getting ZERO pay is completely unacceptable!

I'm not the accountant or CFO and have no control over their actions. Glen Moore was losing money because repair costs were very high. It wasn't because they paid 43cpm because they raised the rates before they authorized the raises. It wasn't because of union because they were non-union. My truck was older but it didn't really break down. It was a 2007 with 948k original miles on it but it ran like a champ! The 2005-2006s were breaking a lot more than anything on the 2007s. The older 9400i had a build issue and blowing a wrist pin in the motor was all too common. International corrected that in the later trucks.

madaxeman 12-27-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 506790)
YRC has been living on borrowed time for several years. No company can survive by paying wages and benefits so much higher than that of their competition. With the help of the unions, they have priced themselves out of the market. Unless a company can offer their services at a competitive rate they won't stay in business long.

Yes, unions can drag a company down when they are paying out more than they take in. The domestic automakers were a good example. The government works kind of like that on every level, too. By the people, for the people my *****! What's sad is that it negatively affects the entire country and will never change with our government. If the government was an actual business, it would have been out of business long ago. It's more like a criminal organization though.

By the way, Glen Moore was non-union.

madaxeman 12-27-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 506777)
I just love it how you're pissed at Celadon not telling you about the buyout and not Glen Moore. You also keep saying how great you were paid - maybe that's why they went out of business.

You miss the point! Celadon stranded me! Celadon controlled the assets after December 15th at about 3:30PM. Celadon forced me to Indianapolis. Celadon refused to get me home after I turned in my issued equipment on good terms. I PAID MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET SO THAT I COULD RETURN THEIR ASSETS. So thoughtful of them!

High repair costs are what ran Glen Moore into the ground...not paying drivers a good wage. They raised rates before they gave the raises. If you enjoy working for about 70-75% (along with all of the megacarrier drivers) more power to you!

Mackman 12-28-2011 12:02 PM

Hey madaxeman. You are beating a dead horse around here. Seems like 90% of this forum thinks driving for pennys per mile and being gone for weeks on end for 600/week is a good deal. I gave up. Now i just sit back and laugh. I love the posts when people talk about how great there job is and they make 30cpm lol.

madaxeman 12-30-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 506851)
Hey madaxeman. You are beating a dead horse around here. Seems like 90% of this forum thinks driving for pennys per mile and being gone for weeks on end for 600/week is a good deal. I gave up. Now i just sit back and laugh. I love the posts when people talk about how great there job is and they make 30cpm lol.

True. I prefer to progress rather than go backwards from where I was. I was thinking about becoming an owner-op or just buying a bobtail or lease-purchase with a company but I don't know that I have enough to start...or where to start (and my credit score is like -850). I wouldn't know which companies are worth starting out. Most seem to pay you less than $1/mile (around .88 or so). The first company I worked for had a lease program with a mileage guarantee per week. If they didn't get you the minimum in the contract, you could walk away clean from the lease. You knew that you weren't just buying a truck but you were making good money, too. I've been reading through a bunch of the posts on here lately. Are companies like Dart, Landstar, etc. good for a driver's wallet? What are the better ones that you will make a lot? Thanks!

Snowman7 12-30-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madaxeman (Post 506915)
True. I prefer to progress rather than go backwards from where I was. I was thinking about becoming an owner-op or just buying a bobtail or lease-purchase with a company but I don't know that I have enough to start...or where to start (and my credit score is like -850). I wouldn't know which companies are worth starting out. Most seem to pay you less than $1/mile (around .88 or so). The first company I worked for had a lease program with a mileage guarantee per week. If they didn't get you the minimum in the contract, you could walk away clean from the lease. You knew that you weren't just buying a truck but you were making good money, too. I've been reading through a bunch of the posts on here lately. Are companies like Dart, Landstar, etc. good for a driver's wallet? What are the better ones that you will make a lot? Thanks!

You seem like a smart guy why aren't you checking into LTL co's? If you like to run Estes or Old Dominion will keep you out all week, legal, sleeping in motels. They'd probably start you .44-.48 range. Or UPS Freight Truckload is like like USF's Glen Moore division was.

Fredog 12-30-2011 10:38 PM

this remind me of years ago when my friend was all excited about his new job with MS Carriers, right up until he got to orientation and found out he was working for Swift, they forgot to mention that part to him

madaxeman 12-31-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 506923)
You seem like a smart guy why aren't you checking into LTL co's? If you like to run Estes or Old Dominion will keep you out all week, legal, sleeping in motels. They'd probably start you .44-.48 range. Or UPS Freight Truckload is like like USF's Glen Moore division was.

Hi, Snowman! Are you talking about company driver positions for all of these? I heard UPS is hard to get hired on unless you know someone or have worked your way up...or is that a different branch of UPS? Are these jobs running doubles pups (linehaul) or 53' dry van? Thanks!

madaxeman 12-31-2011 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 506924)
this remind me of years ago when my friend was all excited about his new job with MS Carriers, right up until he got to orientation and found out he was working for Swift, they forgot to mention that part to him

Yes, there is a lot of dishonest companies. Unfortunately, I guess it boils down to who lies to you the least. USF Glen Moore and WH Transportation were honest with me while Knight and Western Express were not. I didn't work for Schneider or Transport America after attending their orientations either. From my experience, the smaller companies that I worked for (less than 500 drivers) tend to care more about their drivers than these megacarrier mills...and pay better, too. Just because the company isn't gigantic it's not a guarantee to be the best job in the universe though. There seem to be a few great paying, larger companies like UPS, OD, Estes, R+L, Walmart...also heard FedEx and Conway...(YRC and USF Holland but who knows if they will make it), etc. That is the main reason I didn't apply at Holland. I don't think they are hiring and possibly laying off drivers. Glen Moore and WH were pretty rare gems for smaller companies that paid well and treated their drivers well. I will be looking into those larger companies and maybe some smaller/medium sized carriers.

Snowman7 12-31-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madaxeman (Post 506930)
Hi, Snowman! Are you talking about company driver positions for all of these? I heard UPS is hard to get hired on unless you know someone or have worked your way up...or is that a different branch of UPS? Are these jobs running doubles pups (linehaul) or 53' dry van? Thanks!

Yes company driver. Estes and Old Dominion are LTL companies. LTL would include as you know Holland, YRC, Fedex FREIGHT, UPS FREIGHT, Conway FREIGHT, ABF, among others but those are the big ones. I mention Estes and Old Dominion because I feel that is your best chance to get hired and get some work. These companies all operate on seniority, they all have feast or famine times, they all have a city operation, and they all have a dock operation. You may get hired at any of them but you will have slow periods where you wont get alot of work until you build your seniority. Or the work you get, you may not like. For example dock or city driving. If you are a young guy who doesnt have alot of responsibility or debt, and who doesnt mind doing whatever, you could sacrifice a few years now at the bottom and you will be a fat cat later on. I work at UPS FREIGHT, I'm at .62 cpm and 24.50/hr. But if you dont like doing dock or city, and have to make a solid paycheck right away, talk to ESTES or Old Dominion about a "wild" linehaul driver job, or whatever term they call it. Your first dispatch of the week goes by seniority. After that its first in first out at a foriegn trerminal. So when you get where your going and they ask where you want to go tell them anywhere but home. Keep me moving. All your dispatches are terminal to terminal, drop and hook. When you get there if they have freight to match your hours they run you on, when you're out of hours they put you to bed in a motel. If you return to your home terminal then seniority determines your next dispatch. During good times you should get 2500-3000 miles and be home on weekends. ABF, Holland, and YRC also have wild linehaul but good luck getting hired there. UPS, Conway and FEDEX dont do as much of this, most of there runs are out and back every night and everything is relayed. So the seniority issue comes up everyday. Its not a problem when we're busy but when we're slow you'll starve. Unless you can get some docktime, maybe. Most of LTL is doubles and all require hazmat. This is a brief description and very broad. Conditions vary by company and even by terminal. Your best chance for one of these wild linehaul positions is at a hub operation which is different from an "end of line" or "satelite" terminal. All questions to ask at the interview. Nothing wrong with a satelite except that the runs are bid by seniority and the board moves agonizingly slow, nobody quits so it takes forever to move up. At a hub and running wild you make money sooner, but you stay out all week. A linehaul driver, at top rate, at any of these companies, who works everyday, is making 80-100 grand a year. The hard part is working everyday.

UPS FREIGHT TRUCKLOAD is non union regional OTR and dedicated logistics. I only mention them because its probably real similar to Glen Moore. Doesnt pay as well as LTL and run a sleeper. It will not get you any seniority or transfer rights to the freight side, just like Glen Moore and Holland.

UPS package. forget about it. Impossible to get hired off the street. Everybody starts part time on the dock. Full time is awarded by seniority and could take 5 years. To get a spot in a tractor trailer could take 10-20 years. Its easy to get hired as part time dock, but you wont need your CDL for years, and you will need a second job till you get full time, or a sugar momma. LOL.

madaxeman 01-13-2012 06:02 AM

Thanks much for the info and help, Snowman! :)

geeshock 01-14-2012 05:11 AM

madaxerman, I feal for you and hope all goes well. I work for celadon and am happy so far. not starving by a long shot myself but I understand. From what the glen more drivers that are staying with the company say they miss the most, they mention the benifits, what they miss the least is glen more didn't care what you had for hours, the load WOULD get to it's detenation on time. I do wish you the best of luck and might take note of those other companies listed above for later on. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.

madaxeman 01-19-2012 05:05 AM

Geeshock, thanks! I hope it works out for you, too.

The benefits were definitely top-notch! I was NEVER forced to run a load illegally. In fact, I always told my DM if I couldn't make it or if it was cutting too close with the given timeframe. If they sent me a pre-plan and it wasn't happening, I told them right off the bat I can't make this time but I can and will do the load and get it there ASAP. Usually, they would say ok after they checked and would give it to me anyway. Sometimes, they would send me a different load, If I ran into a delay (loading, flat tire, etc.), I always communicated it so it was never an issue for me. Sometimes, they would have me relay the load to still make the appointment time if I couldn't do it legally. At least, I was covering myself and they couldn't come back later and say "why was this load late?" If drivers don't communicate to the office about any of that and just accept the load, they can't really blame anyone but themselves...and they would be expected to get it there by the appointment time.

As far as Celadon goes, sitting for up to two days without layover pay...or four hours without detention pay is completely unacceptable to me...and just plain wrong! Truck drivers already don't get paid for a lot of things. It's one job where companies can legally screw workers out of pay if they let them (unless it's hourly pay). For the most part, all we really get paid for is mileage (and it's short on every load at that). Even when you got detention pay, layover pay, stop pay, etc...it really isn't worth it versus the truck rolling down the highway (because all of that consumes a ton of your time for minimal or no pay). Practical mileage pay screws you far less than short miles. Right now, I am making more money not working than working. If and when that changes, I will get back out there. :)

geeshock 02-04-2012 03:50 AM

heh, i hear ya. it's nice to get some of those things done that keep getting put on the back-burner while we are out on the road. I do agree that 4 hours detention time and 2 day layovers b4 getting payed are not a good thing. One thing i can say is I got the layover for more than 24 hours only once or twice myself. and since I'm dealing mostly with drop and hooks I rarely ever have to worry about detention time. Also, the pay is .32 right now for me but the vacation pay every 30,000 miles bumps it up to .34 and when i reach the 120000 miles it'll be .35.

I guess it's a matter of what's most important to a driver and for 120 drivers that would be 130 different things :)

yup, not keeping dispatch up to date on your hours and road conditions is a common problem no mater what company your with and if you don't let them know what the deal is they can't work with you. If thats the case with these drivers, shame on them, they won't find the time thing any easier with celadon.

as always, BOL