Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Swift ... what is good or bad or what should I be aware of?? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/41572-swift-what-good-bad-what-should-i-aware.html)

cliffankersen 07-31-2011 10:50 PM

Swift ... what is good or bad or what should I be aware of??

Just getting going in trucking and looking for some input, insight and such.
Have my CDL-A, have some experience from several decades ago ... things have likely changed and I'd like to be sure I'm getting started in at least mostly the right direction. Need some current road experience and thought this was as good a place to start as any..

Input, comments are welcome.
Thank you!

VPIDarkAngel 08-01-2011 02:02 AM

Bad = no APU's, 9 speed transmissions, 62mph governed trucks.
Good (depending on how you look at it) = going to Qualcomm paperless logs
If you can get on a dedicated account, do it. Even though their dedicated guys don't make THAT much money, the ones I've talked to agree that it pays better than 48 state.
Also, where are you? That could affect the freight that's available to you.

cliffankersen 08-01-2011 01:29 PM

I'm in Denver.
What other companies would be some to consider for getting started?
APU's would certainly be nice ... Swift mentioned having me do the southwest ... very hot. APU would most likely be required for this area don't you think?
10spd tranny would also be something I'd think should be a minimum.
I'd consider going to the midwest vs. southwest if I could get going that direction with someone.

solitary glen 08-08-2011 03:10 PM

Hello, first post!

I'm new and I start with Swift next week so I am excited. I've heard lots of negative and positive so I've just decided that I will learn for myself and go in with an open mind.

But, I can't for the life of me what APU is. What is it?

VPIDarkAngel 08-14-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solitary glen (Post 501295)
Hello, first post!

I'm new and I start with Swift next week so I am excited. I've heard lots of negative and positive so I've just decided that I will learn for myself and go in with an open mind.

But, I can't for the life of me what APU is. What is it?

APU = auxilliary power unit
Long story short, this is a device that handles climate control in the sleeper without idling the big engine. Some, like the Thermo-King TriPac (like I have on my company truck), and the Carrier ComfortPro use a diesel engine mounted on the frame to power an air conditioner and charge the batteries. Others, like NITE (No Idle Thermal Environment), ClimaCab, and the TriPacE use batteries and no engine. These things aren't cheap, though. The TriPac's cost in the ballpark of $10k per unit, so it takes a little while to recover the cost. They also add about 400lbs. to one's gross weight.
Most companies don't invest in these, especially with new trucks that are "Clean-Idle" certified. Werner has actually ceased putting APU's on new trucks (except for million-mile drivers) :banghead: To add insult to injury, most companies (Swift included) want you to keep your idle percentage down. I can't remember what the Swift guys in South Boston said that percentage was, but I'd say it's in the ballpark of 30%.
Since I'm not out that far west, I'm not entirely sure what companies are hiring for what fleets. Check out Werner (I work for them, but on a dedicated account in VA), since it seems like we're almost always taking in new drivers. I thought we had a terminal out there somewhere, but I'm not positive. The recruiters would know about the terminals, but check with driver placement to see what accounts are available in your neck of the woods.

Sheepdancer 08-15-2011 04:19 PM

You have to start somewhere and Swift is about the same as any other large company that hires new drivers. Its not going to be great, you arent going to make a lot of money. But after a 6 months to a year at swift, a lot of better jobs are going to open up for you. And Swift looks good on your resume

geeshock 08-15-2011 08:01 PM

bad, you'll get harassed by many ppl out there. You have a better chance to get a bad dispatcher, just because there are more out there. They are a starter company so the times to deliver will be longer, but there is a window usualy so you CAN delver early usualy.

good, you also stand the chance to get a good dispatcher ( I had one bad and one good), LOTS of terminals so if there is no truck parking at the truck stop, just go to the closest terminal or drop yard, the windows on deliveries are larger so less chance on a service failure. stick it out with them for a year and they are a good stepping stone to another company.

As with all companies out there they are no better or worse. In my opinion they were good to me. If I hadn't had a major accident with them I'd probably still be driving with them 5 1/2 years later. That being said, good luck whatever route you choose.

One 08-24-2011 08:53 AM

what is 'clean idle certified' anyway? If been so out of the loop....
Regarding swift- I do not reccommend them as a first choice but then again i drive for Tango that seems to want to model themselves after swift. Swift looooooooooves Walmart. Tango Loooooooooves international Paper. Neither are fun to deliver to, esp if u have scrap. Walmart reminds me of the machine off the pink floyd cover. People seem to be a means to the end. A lot of walmart loads have exta time to deliver and u cannot deliver early at all locations. Every walmart load pulled i ended up sitting way more than driving= no money in it. If u run Elogs sitting around waiting to be unloaded counts against your 14. On paper logs u dont start your 14 till u pull out. How can anyone like elogs? the damn box calls our your name and sends a message to your boss the minute u go over hours- so instead of getting to a safe spot to sit u end up having to sit in a ****hole.

VPIDarkAngel 08-27-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One (Post 502198)
what is 'clean idle certified' anyway? If been so out of the loop....

It's an engine certification issued by the Commufornia Air Resources Board (CARB) for diesels that emit less than 30 grams of nitrogen oxide per hour. These engines can get away with [legally] idling past the five minute mark, due to the lower emissions, and circumventing the need for an APU out there. Granted, I had heard recently that California was working to make it illegal to run diesel-powered APU's for longer than 5 minutes also, but I haven't heard anything lately about it.

geeshock 08-28-2011 06:29 AM

and thats why we need to boycott Ca. I know they say it's against the law, but what law states we HAVE to run out there