Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   FedEx Freight/UPS Freight (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/41176-fedex-freight-ups-freight.html)

Snowman7 06-03-2011 08:17 PM

BigSlim, Truckload and LTL are two seperate divisions. I dont know alot about them but they are more of a logistics operation with dedicated services and regional OTR. They are non-union, I dont think they wear uniforms, they drive sleeper Volvos, pay is typical of regional OTR work. Most guys spend a few nights a week in the truck but that depends on the account you are on. I would think if you have been invited to orientation then you have been hired?

BigSlim 06-03-2011 09:23 PM

Thanks, I was told that I would be out a week at a time and will be home on weekends. Yes, they do have the Super 10 Volvo's, but I didn't know that they weren't union. I thought the whole outfit was the same when it came to union and the Brown uniforms. Well, this will be the beginning of my end; after 2yrs. out of work and not driving, I'm glad I'm part of the family now lol.

Kentla93 06-04-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 497731)
See what I mean? It didnt work for Timberwolf. he didnt like it. The funny thing is he was actually working, it was the dock, but he was working. I know some guys who werent working at all, maybe 2-3 days a week, and had to quit because they couldnt hang in there financially. Those guys would have jumped all over dock work if they could get it. They just wanted to work here because they know what a good job it is down the road. I also find it odd that TW says "all you have to do is stick it out and if you have patience and the ability to stand by while some (NOT ALL workers) "BUT SOME" lazy azz guys who have no work ethic and know how to play the system get to beat you out of the schedule / shift bid, & The job bid because they have been there longer then you". They didnt play the system they simply had more seniority, period. And the union has nothing to do with it as pretty much all LTL's work on seniority. Just sounds like sour grapes to me. Seniority only makes sense when you have some, to a guy who has none the system sucks. There's another member here that just recently got hired and works with me as a road driver and he's getting 2000+ miles a week with little to no dock, and hes the bottom guy. Thats partly because of the terminal hes at, there's guys off sick, freight levels are up, and vacation season has started. Come this winter he might be begging to work the dock or he could still be busy. Again no way of knowing. But I do know several top guys at several barns who make a hundred grand a year with a set schedule and its a pretty easy friggin job. The vast majority of road drivers are still doing 75-90k. One reason its so hard to move up is 30 year guys like feederfred have it so easy they never leave LOL! Besides they still have to pay for their F350's, bass boats, and all their other toys. But in my opinion 2-5 years at the bottom of the board is a small price to pay. To each his own.

Snowman it's not sour grapes it is simply put... Two and a half herniated disc a back operation and the fact I am 47 years old 44 at the time I worked there.. If you could go back and look at my post under Timberwolf when I was looking to make the jump in jobs you would see I was looking to work smarter not harder, and the possibility of having to work the docks at 55 + did not seem like a smart move for me and my situation.. You are right senority is great for those who have it, I didnt and I was not willing to stick around to get it, I still BS with the guys at the Orlando barn and nothing has changed there in fact I deliver fuel to them.. It was all about working smart for my situation. Plus I am making a considerable amount more now then I would be there if I had stayed, and my back is much stronger not having to climb into a pup loaded floor to ceiling with very small Bed Bath and Beyond boxes needing to be palletized and sorted for the 10 different Central Florida stores, the same goes for all the Nike, Addias, and other outlet mall stores here in Orlando as all thier orders come non palletized into Orlando and require sorting and palletizing.. That to me is hard work for a young man... Not for me..

Timberwolf

One 06-05-2011 02:00 AM

Not that Im an expert on UPS but from what ive been told by UPS truckload drivers is that it may be the same company but a seperate division. Moving between divisions is more like going to work for another company than getting a promotion...I worked for Conway's expedited division wich is O/O's , eventhough i was pulling load from Conway truckload also didnt mean i could switch to Conway truckload or freight for that matter...And then theres the fact that one division doesnt want to loose its help to another, so dont expect much help getting into the freight division...

BigSlim 06-05-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One (Post 498635)
Moving between divisions is more like going to work for another company than getting a promotion...And then theres the fact that one division doesnt want to loose its help to another, so dont expect much help getting into the freight division...

So what you are saying is that if you go from one division to another, you will loose your senority and climb the ladder all over again?

Snowman7 06-05-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSlim (Post 498651)
So what you are saying is that if you go from one division to another, you will loose your senority and climb the ladder all over again?

Yup. But I'm not even sure if they will let you transfer to LTL. You'll have to ask. I know we cannot transfer to Parcel and they cannot transfer to LTL freight. We would have to resign first and then apply at Parcel and vice versa. Heck these days we cant even transfer service centers anymore, but back when we could you would lose seniority if you transferred. Matter of fact if I transfer to a different department at my own terminal (ie from road to city) I go to the bottom of that board.

BigSlim 06-06-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 498679)
Yup. But I'm not even sure if they will let you transfer to LTL. You'll have to ask. I know we cannot transfer to Parcel and they cannot transfer to LTL freight. We would have to resign first and then apply at Parcel and vice versa. Heck these days we cant even transfer service centers anymore, but back when we could you would lose seniority if you transferred. Matter of fact if I transfer to a different department at my own terminal (ie from road to city) I go to the bottom of that board.

That is totally unfair to all the Browns lol. And I thought there's always room for advancements towards moving up the ladder. Sounds like when I was at Pepsi Bottling Group going from a non-union to union at a different facility. After 11yrs. non-union, I thought I was getting a promotion to another facility that was union; a demotion is what it was. It didn't work out, so I know exactly what you mean.