Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Gordon drivers pay for truck repairs? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/40779-gordon-drivers-pay-truck-repairs.html)

ALKELE 01-04-2011 02:46 AM

Gordon drivers pay for truck repairs?

Trying to find out if this is a new policy or something.

Blew a tire on I40 today. OTR sent out a guy to replace the tire. When he was finished with the tire, he called his boss to see how the job was going to be paid for and the boss told him that he would call Gordon Trucking himself. 2 1/2 hours later I got a message saying "here's the comcheck info" along with a huge number (looks like a check number and express code number together). So, I sent back a message asking what I was supposed to do with it (I was 2 1/2 hours down the road), was I supposed to put it on my trip sheet or something? He sends back a message saying that the comcheck had been charged to me and that I had to submit for reimbursement. ????

I have never driven for a company (and I have driven for several) who charges a driver's account for a blown tire or any other repair job. All the other companies paid for the repairs directly, not by issuing a comcheck drawn on the employee's account. I have had another blown tire replaced at a Love's and did not (to my knowledge) have this go against my account (meaning money that I have earned but have not yet been paid).

BTW, I am a company driver, not an O/O.

Are there any Gordon drivers out there that know anything about this? Is this how Gordon does it for roadside repairs? Is this a new policy? I am concerned about it considering how often companies "forget" to do reimbursements.

mitchno1 01-04-2011 03:04 AM

that is unreal mate if it true i would leave truck where it is or a harder place to find and skip it

ALKELE 01-04-2011 03:32 AM

Goes on your DAC if you abandon equipment. I will just have to ride their butts hard to make sure I get reimbursed. I just have never heard of a company being so cheap as to do this or a company that is so willing to rip off their drivers.

mitchno1 01-04-2011 06:12 AM

**** them id be on way home

repete 01-04-2011 07:15 AM

It may just be the co that came out and did the repair didn't have an account set up with Gorden, I faced a similer problem but cause I'm in and out of the same place my co set up a direct account with the small local tire co. Call your mngr to make sure you get paid back and see if this was an oddball situation.

Malaki86 01-04-2011 09:40 AM

I've had this happen at just about every company I've driven for - if the company you work for doesn't have an account with the company doing the repairs, it's on you until they get the receipt, at which time they reimburse for the repairs. And I've had some HUGE repairs on the road.

Steel Horse Cowboy 01-04-2011 09:49 AM

For a company as large as Gordon, I don't see why they would do this??? Sounds strange to me, but hey, just hit the truck-stop and fax a copy of the repair bill over to the boss man so he can just take it all at once and be done with it.

Chunker 01-04-2011 03:36 PM

It happens at the company I work for with regards to lumper fees. I send in a request for a comcheck to pay the lumpers, that amount is taken out of my paycheck, I pay lumper with comcheck and send in the receipt with the bill of lading and get reimbursed on the same paycheck. It's the only way a company can make sure a driver isn't claiming false charges on behalf of the company and padding his paycheck. One time, the lumper told me after I got the comcheck, that they made a mistake and found that the company had an account. The amount was taken out of my paycheck. I simply took the comcheck and cashed it at the nearest truckstop.

ALKELE 01-05-2011 04:37 AM

Yes, lumper fees work that way, don't send the receipt in to them in time and it gets taken from your pay until they get the receipt. I have had repairs done in shops and on the roadside, but have never been told that it was on me and that I needed to submit the receipt for reimbursement. I have had work done on a few occasions where there was no account and whatever company I was working for at the time simply took care of things themselves without having to involve the driver (and his pay).

I contacted my dispatcher who then contacted the midwest dispatch supervisor. I explained everything to him and he sent me a message saying that it was NOT how Gordon did things, that it was NOT a policy to do things that way, and how he would straighten it out and get everything fixed. A little while later I got a brief message from him saying that I needed to submit the receipt and PO number in order to get reimbursed. From his tone in his last message, I assumed that instead of him straightening out the OTR people, he was the one that got straightened out.

But, I will scan off the receipt and PO number with the rest of the trip paperwork, and then call the payroll people tomorrow and make sure that they have everything that they need. One thing that made me suspicious was the fact that OTR didn't want to give me a PO number for the repair job. No PO number = no reimbursement. I had to demand a PO number and they finally gave it to me. Setting me up for a fail??

Malaki86 01-05-2011 10:03 AM

It sounds like they had a change of corporate policy, but didn't explain to everyone, including breakdown, that the driver needed a PO number to be reimbursed.