Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   LC Transportation, WLA, Cooke, etc. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/40093-lc-transportation-wla-cooke-etc.html)

VPIDarkAngel 06-27-2010 09:55 PM

LC Transportation, WLA, Cooke, etc.

Lately I've been studying about some job prospects, and have been trying to find information about a few carriers, mostly LC Transportation in Pilot Mountain, NC. I know they haul a lot of FedEx stuff, but I don't know anything about their running area, hometime, solo/team status, etc. I've also been looking at running team with a friend of mine at Cooke Trucking or WLA, but I don't know much about them, other than what equipment I see.
Also, I've been reconsidering Howell's Motor Freight and maybe even Lawrence Transportation Systems out of Roanoke. If anyone has some info on these outfits, I'd be more than grateful to know about it.

Syncrosonix 06-28-2010 01:38 AM

why not specialize in some area? if you're going for that dry, reefer, or common flatbed crap. i bet you won't make nearly as much as those in specialized commodities.

VPIDarkAngel 06-28-2010 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syncrosonix (Post 482961)
why not specialize in some area? if you're going for that dry, reefer, or common flatbed crap. i bet you won't make nearly as much as those in specialized commodities.

You may very well be right, but geography is somewhat working against me there. There's not much specialized freight moving into or out of this area (that I know of). I'm also not too fond of this crap of being out more than a week at a time. If it weren't for that, I'd have probably found an outfit such as the one you just signed on with. Hopefully, by the end of this week, I'll have more info on what's going on at work (IE, the whole reason I'm asking about different companies and different job prospects right now).

Syncrosonix 06-28-2010 02:54 AM

yeah, the geographic issue can be a cumbersome one. i can understand that.

i've been off for almost a week now. in about a week, i'll know where i'm going next. word in the office is that i may be sent to either prince edward island, upstate new york, somewhere north of vancouver, b.c., or nova scotia. the length of time away from home is unknown. i'll know once they are telling me and booking a flight for me. i can be gone for 2 or three days or 2 days to 3 months at a time. fortunately i'm not confined to a mobile jail cell. all the hotel stays are on their dime as well as the airplane tickets. the time home can range from 24hrs or up to 3 weeks.

Hawkjr 06-28-2010 04:05 AM

I can tell you that Lawrence doesn't pay crap... Its like .32 cents a mile and 13 hr for live unloads... Most of there Trucks are trash.. i personally would say no... I know Van Wyk out of Waynesboro is hiring, Can't Take the Truck home tho... There are home every weekend so what i hear..

Hawkjr 06-28-2010 09:58 AM

VPI Check PM...

Syncrosonix 06-28-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkjr (Post 482971)
I can tell you that Lawrence doesn't pay crap... Its like .32 cents a mile and 13 hr for live unloads... Most of there Trucks are trash.. i personally would say no... .

c'mon hawk, that is the industry standard. sounds good to me!
:rofl:

Hawkjr 06-28-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syncrosonix (Post 482987)

c'mon hawk, that is the industry standard. sounds good to me!
:rofl:

yeah thats why they are always in the newspaper and on job sites... complete industry standard

Syncrosonix 06-29-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkjr (Post 483007)
yeah thats why they are always in the newspaper and on job sites... complete industry standard

in this harsh economy, job openings are an immediate "feck yeah!" slave wages: FECK YEAH!

VPIDarkAngel 06-29-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkjr (Post 482971)
I can tell you that Lawrence doesn't pay crap... Its like .32 cents a mile and 13 hr for live unloads... Most of there Trucks are trash.. i personally would say no... I know Van Wyk out of Waynesboro is hiring, Can't Take the Truck home tho... There are home every weekend so what i hear..

That doesn't fully surprise me. Depending on what happens, I might look into Van Wyk. I'll probably talk to Howell's, Houff, and maybe a few others now that I'm gonna be off on Sundays and Mondays again. I think my first mistake was applying online, rather than opening doors.