Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   wheat harvest? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/39947-wheat-harvest.html)

okieoo 05-23-2010 11:24 PM

wheat harvest?

Any of you all ever been on a wheat harvest?>

What was the pay like?

Orangetxguy 05-24-2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okieoo (Post 481243)
Any of you all ever been on a wheat harvest?>

What was the pay like?

:D

$16.00 a day plus "Found"!!! 18 hour days!! Chaffee up the wazzooo!! Dust? You ain't seen dust until you work wheat!! :thumbsup:

Oooooooh! Wait! You wanted "recent" harvest experience didn't ya?

:rofl: :rofl: :lol2:

That was 1973 wages............in Montana!!

okieoo 05-24-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 481246)
:D

$16.00 a day plus "Found"!!! 18 hour days!! Chaffee up the wazzooo!! Dust? You ain't seen dust until you work wheat!! :thumbsup:

Oooooooh! Wait! You wanted "recent" harvest experience didn't ya?

:rofl: :rofl: :lol2:

That was 1973 wages............in Montana!!

I know about the dust as we combine our own oats,but the $16.00 a day was a little light for me..even in 73!

Thanks for the reply.

okieoo 05-24-2010 02:52 AM

In case anyone else is interested,I have been contacted by 2 people needing driver.

The general pay,as best I can figure.

$2000 a month for CDL school graduates and $2500 a month is what they offered me.
That includes a bunk and 2 meals a day. Work 7 days a week,all day,unless it is raining.

Jackrabbit379 05-24-2010 06:55 PM

Don't worry, Orange. It hasn't changed much in the last 30 years. :p The pay that is. :p :p
Okie, $2000 a month is good harvest wages. The guys that I know have some South Africans working for them, but they are still needing hands. I'm not sure what they pay now days. When I went on harvest, I got $300 a week. Of course, that was during the Ice Age. :thumbsup:
If you really want to go on harvest, let me know. They could use some good hands. Also, you could drive a big ole Pete (like the one in my avatar). That's one of their trucks. It's old, but it runs like a scalded ape! http://forum.thescubasite.com/evilgrin/evilgrin0010.gif

I wished I could go on harvest. If I could afford it, I would still keep going every year. It drives me nuts, not being able to go. I have to drive this piece of fine machinery that International makes every night. :mad: I could be in a Johnny Deere combine, and a long Pete, but nooooo, I got to drive this fine equipment that sysco has.

okieoo 05-24-2010 08:00 PM

I am thinking about it. I am going to buy another truck and go back to hauling fuel,but I might try the harvest first.
One has offered to pay me more than $2500,but I dont know how much more.
Right now I am trying to get him to let me just do a 30 day commintment.I hate to sign on until November not knowing what I am really getting in to.

Orangetxguy 05-25-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okieoo (Post 481254)
In case anyone else is interested,I have been contacted by 2 people needing driver.

The general pay,as best I can figure.

$2000 a month for CDL school graduates and $2500 a month is what they offered me.
That includes a bunk and 2 meals a day. Work 7 days a week,all day,unless it is raining.

That right there...that's the "Found". Only I got day-meals....plus a beef every 6 month's for the family....electric service.....telephone service...a pickup to drive (had to have something to pull the horse trailer).....and for a kid still in high school....I didn't have it half bad!

homer 05-26-2010 05:56 PM

[..I didn't have it half bad![/QUOTE]
was in that farming biz 13 years.
one hell of a lot of work. the real payday was selling the land.
if a farmer owes you money its real tuff ringing it out of him.
ever deal with a horse trader?
i got into trucking and never looked back.their is some similiarities between farmers and big trucking companies i guess