Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Gresham Transfer Inc (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/38212-gresham-transfer-inc.html)

glasman2 07-05-2009 11:45 PM

Gresham Transfer Inc

Anyone Know the Good , the Bad and ugly of this company?
Had an interview, but the guy giving the interview didn't have the information I wanted ( pay ect )
Making me think he was hiding something since he had been with them for 30 years.
Ya I know.... if he stayed that long , shouldn't be all that bad of a company, but then how do I even know he's been there 30 years?

Anyhow, Local Company, Local Runs, Home most nights, out of Pasco Wa.
Tankers and only 1 other driver ( besides me if I take the job ) has hazmat, and told he doesn't want the hazmat loads. So more loads for me if he refuses them.

Thanks for any help....

glasman2 07-17-2009 01:44 PM

Well, turns out to be a pretty good company.
Glad I ran into them when I did.
Everyone is friendly ( well almost every, always 1 bad apple in the bunch ).
Starting wage is 16.50 an hour and .35 or .36 cpm for 2 months.
Then 18.10 an hour and .3927 cpm Any time not driving is by the hour, or anything in a 50 mile radius is by the hour.
My lowest days pay so far was $193.98 and highest days so far $225.24
Not to bad for a days work, and crawling back into my bed at home.
I drive 11 miles to work now instead of 50 ( big break on gas and time )
NO SLIP SEATING!! My truck, if I don't work, it sits.
No weekend work.
If for some reason I get over loaded, just call dispatch and they will have shipper fix it or tell me to run and they pay the over weight ticket.

I have to tell you, I sure am glad I turned down the other job offer I had from an out-law driving company here in town. ( didn't know till the end of the day on my drive test how bad they were ).
This other Co. wanted me to drive 18 to 24 hours ( yes I said 24 ) and only log 8 to 10 hours a day
and never go over 60 hours in a 7 days.
I went on a drive test, was told it would be 4 hours, turned into 15 hours.
2 days prior to my test 1 of there drivers laid his truck over, another driver was ahead of him and seen him lay it over and called the boss and told him. His response was " Don't you dare stop, keep going "
I wasn't going to take the job because of the hours he ran his guys, but this was the ticker.
What if that was me, and I was hurt. What if he hit someone else or killed someone else.
I fine it hard to believe companies like this out-law company are still out there.

Colin 07-17-2009 05:11 PM

Does your shift vary, or is it consistent?

I saw the ad too, and have known about Gresham for years.

glasman2 07-18-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 456329)
Does your shift vary, or is it consistent?

Normal start time is between 4 and 6:30 am, But was told on some rare occasions I could start as early as midnight. Monday thru Friday work out of Pasco,. Some other yards work 7 day a week 24/7

Colin 07-18-2009 04:48 AM

That's a little early for me, but I'm going to consider applying.

glasman2 07-22-2009 09:15 PM

Well I knew something had to be a little fishy.
I'm the 4th or 5th guy at pasco yard, most days not enough work to keep me running by the time the other 3 or 4 guys gets his load. I'm lucky if I get 2 or 3 days work. Better than nothing and I'm hanging in, in hopes it picks up, but talking to couple of the guys, they have a hard time filling the spot I have due to lack of work and the driver quiting.

So.... Still filling apps out and still looking for something that will be FULL TIME, not on call and hope I work from 1 day to the next.

Could turn into a great job if they could keep me going. But wife and bills scream at me.... work work work.

Orangetxguy 07-22-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasman2 (Post 456855)
Well I knew something had to be a little fishy.
I'm the 4th or 5th guy at pasco yard, most days not enough work to keep me running by the time the other 3 or 4 guys gets his load. I'm lucky if I get 2 or 3 days work. Better than nothing and I'm hanging in, in hopes it picks up, but talking to couple of the guys, they have a hard time filling the spot I have due to lack of work and the driver quiting.

So.... Still filling apps out and still looking for something that will be FULL TIME, not on call and hope I work from 1 day to the next.

Could turn into a great job if they could keep me going. But wife and bills scream at me.... work work work.

Glassydude...Have you chatted with Harms Pacific? I believe they keep trucks in Zillah...as well as the Tri-Cities. Chemical tankers.

Harms Pacific Transport - Pasco, Washington

I will run some more through the noggin and get back to you.

Ok....thought about it a bit! Here are a couple others you might try.

http://www.generaltransport.net/employment.php

The current version of General Transport is made up of three companies. The 80's-90's-2000's version of General Transport (out of Seattle), Christiansen Petroleum (out of Zillah) and R.E. Powell Distribution (Who is the parent company of General Transport now).

The other would be Reinhard Petroleum. These guys are family operated, and have steadily growen since I first met the old man and his boy (Both named Tony) In 1987 they were a one truck operation, delivering fuel oil to homes. Most of the guys that I knew there, were great to work with and easy going folks.

http://www.reinhardpetroleum.com/transportation.html

glasman2 07-25-2009 01:21 AM

General transport ( R E Powell ) I might have messed up. When I was in troutdale for a few days ( with gresham transfer ) they called wanting an interview on that Friday. I told them I was stuck in the portland area until maybe Saturday. Then they called again wanting me there on Friday again... I didn't reply THINKING I had a good paying job, plus I had already told them I was stuck in portland area.
I'll call again just incase they haven't hired anyone yet, but after blowing them off, they may just hang up.

Tried to call Reinnhard, office closed , will try again.

Worked 1 day this week ( Tuesday ) it really ticks me off that gresham even hired me, waste of my time.
Don't find something soon will have to go back otr. Infact 1 Co. called me at home out of the blue and wants to talk just a few minutes ago... Savage Transportation here in pasco. Said they haul alot of supplies to forest fires and loads to Alaska. Wanted to give it another week to see if I find work, guess we will see what happens on monday if I don't have to work for gresham. Maybe if I chew them out they will fire me and I won't lose my unemployment.

Colin 07-25-2009 04:08 AM

Fire fighting loads and an Alaska run sounds interesting.

Good luck.

homer 07-26-2009 08:49 PM

Tried to call Reinnhard, office closed , will try again.

one of my nightshift drivers quit and went to reinhard at tacoma. he said he started at 18.69$ an hour plus ot. he said it was a good job. and when they cut back on ot this spring some people quit. he quit for 1$ more at wilcox flegle
i got my hazmat prints done on vacation but probably go no where til i cant drive anymo