Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Schneider Wal-Mart Dedicated (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/37903-schneider-wal-mart-dedicated.html)

Ndaggs 07-25-2018 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonp (Post 450614)
Been at this job for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd share a little about it.

It's running Groceries from the Henderson, NC Wal-Mart RDC in NC, Southern VA and one run to Johnson City, TN. Mostly night driving and 5 on/ 2 off with 48hrs off and that I'd be home 3-4 days a week min.

How is it working? Well, in 3 weeks I have been out overnight (or overday) once and that was because I couldnt find 2 of the Wal-Marts and got stuck 50miles from the yard when my hours were up. 48 hours home means just that. When I come in I put my ready or slot time 48hrs out and thats that. The downside of this is if I get home 2000 on Monday then I have a ready time of 2000 on Wed. Positive is if I get home Tues am then I'm off till Thurs am with a good chance of not going out till Thurs evening.

All trucks are slip-seated but this isnt proving to be a problem because all the guys are pretty clean and we are not spending the night in the truck anyways. They could run this with day-cabs and do alright.

They tend to use up your clock pretty much. I'm not back much before 12hrs everyday.

They also will call on your days off if they have the freight and need it covered but it isnt required that you work. They are asking for volunteers and its a chance to get an extra days pay if you want it. I did one last week that took about 5 hrs and made $100. $20/hr pretty good money in my book.

Pay: Was told it would average around $45,000/yr. I'm grossing $900/wk so its going to be a little more with the bonuses added in.

This week is going to be very heavy freight because of the holiday coming up and they are asking for volunteers to work on their days off. This will happen on a regular basis before holidays. They are going to pay extra for this. Work on your day off and you get the regular pay + $100. No pressure, just volunteer and if you don't want to work a full day then you can just do a local run which pays around $100 and takes 3-4 hrs. they are ok with that as all the freight needs to move anyways.

All in all this is working out just like I was told that it would. Pretty refreshing to have a company tell you what the job will be and that is exactly what it is. Sure not like JB Hunt which lied from the start.

The only downside is the night driving. I'm getting used to it but I feel like a vampire.

This is a good job so far and I'm lucky I got in.

I’m considering the same position I work for Pepsico driving a bay truck it’s the only driving job I have had. I’m pretty new to OTR or dedicated. Is it a decent started or can you make good money. I bring home about 800 850 a week working damn near 60

Mr. Ford95 07-25-2018 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndaggs (Post 542405)
I’m considering the same position I work for Pepsico driving a bay truck it’s the only driving job I have had. I’m pretty new to OTR or dedicated. Is it a decent started or can you make good money. I bring home about 800 850 a week working damn near 60

If it's with Schneider, you will be expected to run close to your 70 every week. We only have the Sterling, Illinois DC, London, Ky DC, Washington Courthouse and Wintersville Ohio DCs for Schneider. We lost Henderson a few years ago and just lost Gordonsville, Va and Bedford, Pa a month ago. I was on pace to make 50-60K doing a 5/2 schedule. You will have to pull a 34 during every holiday and expected to work every holiday. I averaged 1800 miles a week out of Gordonsville. Some 34 restart weeks I would hit 2200-2500 a week. You will be expected to try to do 2 runs for every 14 hours on duty depending on if your a night driver or day driver and which freight you will run. Dry Grocery typically has longer runs and so you will only complete 1 run. Your paid a base cpm rate. If it's under 50 miles total for the run while loaded, extra $25. Each stop is $15 AFTER the 1st stop. Return trip, base pay cpm. Over 50 miles, you see an extra .08 cpm on top of your base pay. Over 100 miles it's an extra .04 cpm. Over 200 miles, base pay only plus stop pay. Backhaul pay is an extra $30 plus mileage. Even get the extra cpm if its under the miles I just listed back to the DC. Get base pay only from last store to the backhaul facility. I typically grossed $1,000 a week, some of our drivers were grossing $1500 and up a week.

Easy as pie! You get your route, find your trailer already loaded and rock on! Get to the store, store unloads. Your job is to open the trailer door and pull a sticker tab off the pallet as it comes off. The store is responsible for removing the pallets. If you have a reefer, you must open and close the bulkheads as needed. Piece of advice, try to dress spiffy And treat them with respect at the stores. I rarely had an issue doing that, some stores even mistook me for a Private Fleet driver. Once you hook to that trailer, your considered the same as a Private Fleet driver and so the stores are to treat you as they treat them.........doesn't always happen. You will typically average 3 stores a run with reefers. Dry grocery, 2 stoppers are typical with drop n hooks! Just always demand to check the supposed empty your picking up!

Ndaggs 07-26-2018 12:37 AM

Mr ford95

Thanks for the help. Look me up on Facebook sometime. Would like to chat somemore.

Nathan Daggs

Mr. Ford95 07-28-2018 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndaggs (Post 542407)
Thanks for the help. Look me up on Facebook sometime. Would like to chat somemore.

Nathan Daggs

Aight man, sent you a message on Facebook Messenger with my user name from here embedded in the message.