Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   I really need your opinion... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/37874-i-really-need-your-opinion.html)

Ford390pwr 05-14-2009 10:16 PM

I really need your opinion...

Well I was all set to go to school with Central Refrigerated starting May 18, then I was told by the recruiter that they will not accept me because of an OLD misdemeanor DV that was on my record. Not getting into too many details but that charge was dismissed in 2005, and I served NO time and have not had any other arrests prior to or after that charge.

So scrambling to get back with another school, I followed up with C.R England and Swift. I made sure that they all knew about that misdemeanor, and I talked with Swift investigations department. So I get a call today from C.R England saying I can start school on Monday May 18. About 2 hours later I get a call from Swift saying the investigators decision is back, and they would be happy to start me in school on June 1st.

Swift has a great online program where I get my CDL learners permit before I go to school. Then after 18 days of school in Lewiston ID, I go back to my home terminal and take my CDL driving exam to get my license in WA.

CR Englund is done in in Salt Lake City UT. All testing is done there and I receive my CDL in UT. I assume that means I give up my WA license, and could get it back later if I so desire.

My question to this community is this. Both schools have about the same reputation. Is there anyone with first hand experience that could give me details about either carrier? I told them both that i would have a decision tomorrow, so I have some heavy thinking to do tonight.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

marcel27208 05-14-2009 10:23 PM

whatever one is gonna get you your CDL in YOUR HOMESTATE, go with that one, it will save you trouble later!!!!!!! Especially with swifts rep in that department.

Orangetxguy 05-14-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford390pwr (Post 450179)
Well I was all set to go to school with Central Refrigerated starting May 18, then I was told by the recruiter that they will not accept me because of an OLD misdemeanor DV that was on my record. Not getting into too many details but that charge was dismissed in 2005, and I served NO time and have not had any other arrests prior to or after that charge.

So scrambling to get back with another school, I followed up with C.R England and Swift. I made sure that they all knew about that misdemeanor, and I talked with Swift investigations department. So I get a call today from C.R England saying I can start school on Monday May 18. About 2 hours later I get a call from Swift saying the investigators decision is back, and they would be happy to start me in school on June 1st.

Swift has a great online program where I get my CDL learners permit before I go to school. Then after 18 days of school in Lewiston ID, I go back to my home terminal and take my CDL driving exam to get my license in WA.

CR Englund is done in in Salt Lake City UT. All testing is done there and I receive my CDL in UT. I assume that means I give up my WA license, and could get it back later if I so desire.

My question to this community is this. Both schools have about the same reputation. Is there anyone with first hand experience that could give me details about either carrier? I told them both that i would have a decision tomorrow, so I have some heavy thinking to do tonight.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

When having to choose between two Evils, always pick the lessor of the two.

Go with Swift. At least they won't force you to jump into a "Fleece Purchase" program.

Ford390pwr 05-14-2009 10:42 PM

Swift would be getting me my CDL in my home state of WA. They actually require me to have a learners permit before attending school, then do the driving part of the test after school at my home terminal.

As for that Fleese purchase deal, I was very concerned about that. What if i get done with all the training and mentoring at C.R England and am ready to get my own truck. I want to stay a company driver, but they could always say there are no spots open for that and i could be waiting for an open seat for who knows how long. I know for sure that i do not want to fall into the lease purchase trap!

I looked at the online CDL course for Swift and they seem to be using the course from [urlhttp://onlinecdltraining.com/[/url] which I looked at weeks ago and almost bought for $30. I will be going over those modules tonight either way!

matcat 05-14-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford390pwr (Post 450189)
Swift would be getting me my CDL in my home state of WA. They actually require me to have a learners permit before attending school, then do the driving part of the test after school at my home terminal.

As for that Fleese purchase deal, I was very concerned about that. What if i get done with all the training and mentoring at C.R England and am ready to get my own truck. I want to stay a company driver, but they could always say there are no spots open for that and i could be waiting for an open seat for who knows how long. I know for sure that i do not want to fall into the lease purchase trap!

I looked at the online CDL course for Swift and they seem to be using the course from [urlhttp://onlinecdltraining.com/[/url] which I looked at weeks ago and almost bought for $30. I will be going over those modules tonight either way!

That is something new swift is doing, when I went to swift school it was 3 weeks, the first week was to get your permit.

But Swift is much better then CR England, I was originally going to go to CR England for school, but changed my mind after reading all the horror stories of their accommodations and training.

Quite honestly swift's school is not that bad, they will train you good enough to get your CDL, and the real learning is with your mentor anyway.

Fredog 05-14-2009 10:55 PM

AND, if you go with Swift, you wont have the added headache of dealing with a reefer

matcat 05-14-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 450194)
AND, if you go with Swift, you wont have the added headache of dealing with a reefer

Unless you go with swift's reefer devision, which is pretty big out west :)

Syncrosonix 05-14-2009 11:00 PM

whenever i had a choice between empties after dropping a trailer, it was usually between intermodal containers and reefers. i usually went for the reefers because i hate dealing with rail yards and all the extra bullchit with the containers. reefers were alright, i suppose. just don't go hooking up to a reefer if you haven't had the training in handling reefer loads.

Ford390pwr 05-14-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 450194)

I am not worried about dealing with a refer. That was where i was going to begin with. In the end it comes down to the fact that I do not want to get pressured into a Fleece Program, and I am afraid that is where CR England will try to get me.

I am very impressed with the Swift recruiter, she was very nice, answered every question on the phone, and had a lot of great detail about the program.

On a side note I think these companies are having a lot of recruiter problems right now. My recruiter from Central Refer "moved on" in the middle of my application. I never spoke to my original recruiter at CR England, that's why my App was "lost". And at Swift I talked to my recruiter on Tuesday and got my app submitted. On Wednesday I was called by another recruiter from Phoenix who said the guy moved to a different department. So I had 6 different recruiters at 3 different companies!

Fredog 05-14-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford390pwr (Post 450198)
I am not worried about dealing with a refer. That was where i was going to begin with. In the end it comes down to the fact that I do not want to get pressured into a Fleece Program, and I am afraid that is where CR England will try to get me.

I am very impressed with the Swift recruiter, she was very nice, answered every question on the phone, and had a lot of great detail about the program.

On a side note I think these companies are having a lot of recruiter problems right now. My recruiter from Central Refer "moved on" in the middle of my application. I never spoke to my original recruiter at CR England, that's why my App was "lost". And at Swift I talked to my recruiter on Tuesday and got my app submitted. On Wednesday I was called by another recruiter from Phoenix who said the guy moved to a different department. So I had 6 different recruiters at 3 different companies!

it seems to me that you have answered your own question, if you just want moral support that swift is the right choice for you. you got it