Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Casual drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/35927-casual-drivers.html)

driver cool j 10-21-2008 01:35 AM

Casual drivers

Im from the Tupelo, MS area about an hour from Memphis,TN and B'ham, AL. I have a little over a year exp and would like to know if any of you super truckers know of any company that hires casual drivers?

coachman 10-21-2008 01:36 AM

What is a casual driver?

driver cool j 10-21-2008 01:45 AM

Sorta like a part-time driver, Im in college and just looking to earn a few extra bucks, I have done my share of OTR and enjoyed. I just want to drive agian.

ibamars 10-21-2008 03:26 AM

Your best bet is to look at LTL. This time of year is tuff though due to the slow down period the LTL industry goes thru.

Heres a few companies that you should look at.

Roadway
Yellow
USF Holland
New Penn
UPS Freight
Conway
R & L Carriers

I know there are more companies in your area. When I was OTR I think I saw SAIA and a few others.

I do know this. The Regular UPS Parcel division up here in this area is looking for casual drivers. They're getting ready to go into their busy season. They may be looking for casual as well in your area. BTW, I am not talking about the little brown trucks. I am talking about the tractor-trailers. Check their website for more info.

GL,

Hope that helps

driver cool j 10-22-2008 11:03 PM

Preciate that Driver, All those are located in my city except for New Penn

Snowman7 10-23-2008 11:40 AM

Most of those places would have you on call 7/24 and you would have 2 hours from the time they call to show up. Besides that LTL is slow right now and most have people laid off. You might be better off calling temp agencies.

rob1972 11-03-2008 09:05 PM

CFI used to hire drivers on a casual basis. i remember an article in one of the trucking magazines about retirees driving in the summer. not sure if they still do it or not though.

Jackrabbit379 11-07-2008 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachman (Post 419032)
What is a casual driver?

Someone that has too much time on their hands. :p

It's when someone does this stuff part time, or whenever they want to. :p

driver cool j 11-07-2008 02:25 AM

Well I am a senior Logistics major, and just was looking for some way to earn a little extra cash. I driven before as a casual driver but the small company close its doors early this year. I drove in Dec and the summer months while out for break. I really love it and its hard to shake the habit, the road is addictive. Thanks for all the input drivers!

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-07-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachman (Post 419032)
What is a casual driver?

Those are the drivers wearng sweats,pajamma bottoms ...and of course the tell tale footwear sandles,crocs,and flip flops.