Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Smith Transport (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/35337-smith-transport.html)

FedExFr8 09-03-2008 08:46 PM

Smith Transport

Hey guys, my son is 24 has 3 yrs OTR experience, and is looking to go to Smith Transport. I tried to do a search but didn't really come up with anything, can anybody give me the good or bad, about the company? I appreciate it!

Mr. Ford95 09-03-2008 08:59 PM

If you haven't found much, then it usually means they are a decent outfit or nobody here has knowledge of them. I notice their trucks always seem to be clean.

Jimbpard 09-03-2008 11:00 PM

Their cpm is very low IMO. I think around 36.cpm.
If I had 3 years OTR, I wouldnt work for that. Nice trucks or not.

Jumbo 09-04-2008 12:23 AM

Big fancy trucks and they are ALWAYS looking for drivers. Any company that requires an escrow account ($500.00 according to their website) isn't worth driving for.

Double R 09-04-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbo
Big fancy trucks and they are ALWAYS looking for drivers. Any company that requires an escrow account ($500.00 according to their website) isn't worth driving for.

That's so you have some money set aside to buy CHICKEN LIGHTS and CHROME for the company truck at the company store. :lol:

They USE to be a decent compnay to drive for. Rarely did I hear any of thier drivers complain, trucks were washed weekly(paid by the company). Now it seems the oppisite. Dirty trucks and drivers complainig about miles and hometime.

09-04-2008 12:45 AM

Re: Smith Transport

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedExFr8
Hey guys, my son is 24 has 3 yrs OTR experience, and is looking to go to Smith Transport. I tried to do a search but didn't really come up with anything, can anybody give me the good or bad, about the company? I appreciate it!

Why not get him into FedEx Freight?

FedExFr8 09-04-2008 05:05 PM

Thanks guys for the replies! I've tried to get him on here but its hard as hell to get on with us. We haven't done any hiring here lately and I don't think he wants to pull wiggle wagons anyway. But I think he's decided to go to orientation with them on Monday so we'll see..

jd112488 09-04-2008 09:24 PM

in my opinion any comapny right now is a risk. th market in everything, not just trucking is so volitale right now..it is scary. i recently made a change about three months ago thinking it would be great and it did not pan out at all, i just started back with my contractor at fed ex ground this week. my advice, go with caution and don;t burn your bridges, he may need to go back to the other side someday.

Fredog 09-05-2008 09:40 PM

Re: Smith Transport

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedExFr8

They recently filed bankruptcy

coastie 09-05-2008 10:24 PM

I did look into them many years ago, and they were not what I wanted. East of the Mississippi River what I was told they ran. I was looking for a company that ran west since I seem to be bound to stay on the east coast all the time with everyone else I worked for in the past and recent also..