Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Car hauling in the NE (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/31528-car-hauling-ne.html)

kimoyo 12-29-2007 05:28 PM

Car hauling in the NE

I was talking with my instructor the other day and he told me that a car hauling recruiter had visited our school either earlier this year or last year. I was a bit surprised because I had given up on the idea of going into the car hauling right out of CDL school. So I thought I might ask here.

Are there any car hauling companies near the NYC area that would hire and train a newbie?

Thanks.

mbadriver 12-29-2007 06:53 PM

I think you need a year's experience.

Precision Motor Transport Group. If you can't drive a BMW, may as well haul one.

kimoyo 12-29-2007 07:39 PM

Thanks mbadriver. First company I looked at but need a year experience.

The trucking world is strange to me. All the good companies want experience but don't train to give it to the drivers. Yes there is the chance a driver will leave but if you treat the driver like a person, give him a good wage and a chance to work the retention rates might be better.

I have a very good resume and have other options than trucking. I'm 29, no felonies, clean mvr, looking forward to working hard and willing to put some years in while I finish grad school. But I'm not the type of person to start somewhere and then jump ship a year later. If this company will treat me right and give me a chance, why would I leave to go to this other company when these guys gave me a chance. PMTG was probably the first company I wanted to work for when I started looking these past few months. But if I get a chance with Cassens or Allied and am treated fairly, why would I leave? It doesn't make sense to me. Why would a company want someone who would leave after a year of being in a good situation? Don't they realize there's a good chance they will leave them also?

mbadriver 12-29-2007 07:50 PM

Trucking, riddles, mysteries, and drunken sorrority girls.

Seems to be the trucking game. Get your experience with a dirt bag company. Get used like a drunken sorrority girl. Then you have some options.

There is no rationality in this business. Churchill said, "It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key." Ol Winston may have figured out them Ruskies, but the only key he would find in trucking would be in the ignition. :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimoyo
Thanks mbadriver. First company I looked at but need a year experience.

The trucking world is strange to me. All the good companies want experience but don't train to give it to the drivers. Yes there is the chance a driver will leave but if you treat the driver like a person, give him a good wage and a chance to work the retention rates might be better.

I have a very good resume and have other options than trucking. I'm 29, no felonies, clean mvr, looking forward to working hard and willing to put some years in while I finish grad school. But I'm not the type of person to start somewhere and then jump ship a year later. If this company will treat me right and give me a chance, why would I leave to go to this other company when these guys gave me a chance. PMTG was probably the first company I wanted to work for when I started looking these past few months. But if I get a chance with Cassens or Allied and am treated fairly, why would I leave? It doesn't make sense to me. Why would a company want someone who would leave after a year of being in a good situation? Don't they realize there's a good chance they will leave them also?

thebobguy 01-02-2008 11:24 PM

United Road Service will take newbies...www.unitedroad.com, they have terminals all over as well.

kimoyo 01-03-2008 01:20 AM

Thanks thebobguy but URS wants 6 months. And those guys are advertising everywhere, go figure. I might have a shot at a company but we'll see, I'm filling out an application tomorrow. I'll give it a few weeks and let you guys now.

thebobguy 01-03-2008 09:06 AM

United Road

Who did you talk to and what divison/city, I know the West Coast Division hires out of schools and I think the URS headquaters out of Romulus, MI does so as well?

kimoyo 01-03-2008 12:47 PM

Vince Visconti. He said they really needed people but oh well, call back after 6 months.