Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Crete - What's the catch? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/31351-crete-whats-catch.html)

headborg 12-21-2007 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmh
Quote:

Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
They're pretty touchy about the logs, but for the rest of the stuff they really should hassle guys like me more than they do.

Maybe they don't want to wake up with their horse's head in bed with them?

LOL...that was a good one....sorry, gmh for taking your thread slightly off topic....just comparing company proceedures with a peer.

It's basically the same payroll proceedure here at Crete/Shaffer only without the honor system- Payroll cut-off is midnight Friday night- based on what we empty out(get the unloaded call done in computer before midnight) but we also have to have the trip(bills) scanned into transflow by midnight(central time) the same night.

Logs in every three dayss!

:asta: that's just stupid

You got to turn in fuel receipts? we just throw ours in the trash.

VitoCorleone99 12-21-2007 03:17 AM

The fuel receipts from the big chains don't matter as it's all electronic, but they want the ones from the hole-in-the-wall places.

gmh 12-21-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmh
Quote:

Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
They're pretty touchy about the logs, but for the rest of the stuff they really should hassle guys like me more than they do.

Maybe they don't want to wake up with their horse's head in bed with them?

LOL...that was a good one....sorry, gmh for taking your thread slightly off topic....just comparing company proceedures with a peer.

Take it wherever. I've been online since the early 80's; threads go where they'll go. Also, as a newbie, I learn a heckuva lot about stuff by reading this diversions.

zipy46 12-21-2007 11:53 PM

Re: Crete - What's the catch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmh
So I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and want to go OTR (wife is of the 'ex' variety, kid lives w/her 300 miles away, no girlfriend, etc). And nearly unanimously, Crete is suggested. They pay 41 cpm, compared to many of the places that pay 30-35. I only found one 'horror' story here, compared with dozens about Werner, CRE, USX, etc. So what's the catch? Why are they paying more, and why are they in need of drivers? It doesn't look like they have a school, is that it? They don't have the big shiny ads in the magazines? Am I missing something?

Should be testing on Friday for my CDL. Tomorrow I'll be at school all day practicing range stuff.

.41 cents a mile would be exellent :!:

Karnajj 12-22-2007 02:33 AM

GMH, transflo is a system that is found at some truckstops that allows you to send in your bills instantly rather than having to wait for trip pak. Its essentially a fax machine. At Crete any trips that have been transflowed by midnight on Fri are on the check you get next Thurs.

movinit 12-22-2007 03:13 AM

Quote:

I currently have the TRANSFLOW NOW! software here on my laptop--so I can scan bills from my cab now( which is great if I get caught somewhere on a Friday night close to payroll cut-off)
Where might we find Transflow Now software?

headborg 12-22-2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movinit
Quote:

I currently have the TRANSFLOW NOW! software here on my laptop--so I can scan bills from my cab now( which is great if I get caught somewhere on a Friday night close to payroll cut-off)
Where might we find Transflow Now software?

well i got mine while we were doing a "test" of the system.......Crete provided us with a link where we could download the software. It still works. Your company would need to have an account with transflow- and you'd need there company code--so you could "route" it properly.

I'd have to look up the link.

haze2 01-03-2008 05:29 AM

there is no catch

crete hired me back in june 07, gave me the title of limited experience driver and assigned me to a trainer for 3 weeks before turning me loose on my own. i had been with werner for a total of 8 months and crete actually started me at .40 per mile and after completing my 6th month i was bumped up to .41 per mile which is the starting rate for experienced
drivers on the national fleet. so far it has been very good with crete, plenty of miles, home when requested, mostly drop/hook loads and treated with respect. :D

Doktari 01-03-2008 11:42 AM

Hi Haze. I was happy to read your post. I sent in my application to Crete the other day. Waiting to hear back from them now.

I live in Tampa and it's always an issue but I'm told 2-3 weeks out which is more than I want to be out but I'll live with it I guess. How long are you out at a time?

You say you're getting good miles. Care to elaborate on that? I'm hoping for 2800/week or more.

Have you had any runs up to NYC? I really don't wanna drive through that neck of the woods. Can you refuse to do NYC if you don't want to do it?

Are you able to route your own trip or are you assigned a specific route to follow?

Thanks
Dok

haze2 01-03-2008 02:48 PM

hey dok, i usually stay out at least 4weeks sometimes little longer, but thats what i find works for me as far as being productive and making a paycheck, i dont have a pressing reason to have to get home sooner. on average my miles are 2800 per week sometimes i have those really great
weeks 3500 miles. i dont mess around while out here, my main goal is to make a decent paycheck so i keep the left door shut and the pedal to the floor. as far as new york, i havent had any new york city loads but i have been to upper new york state, conn, mass, and new hampshire. crete normally sends you 3 load offers and you choose the one that fits your needs, but sometimes you have to accept the bad along with the good if you know what i mean. i have never outright refused a load but if i need to be more productive with more miles i have asked for a better load and found that most all the dispatchers will work with you. crete gives you a suggested route and would rather you stick with it, if you make an adjustment to the route they wont scream as long as you dont get to far out of route, but they are very strict on their fuel solutions keeping you fueling at mainly pilots and loves.
welcome aboard and hope everything works out for you.

haze2