Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   What ever happened to....... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/30650-what-ever-happened.html)

htown 11-10-2007 02:58 PM

What ever happened to.......

What ever happened to the guy who worked for Swift flatbed and became a lease operator with them?

gottaroll 11-10-2007 03:28 PM

i WAS wondering the same thing.

GTR SILVER 11-10-2007 03:43 PM

if you can think of his name ..............do a search for him

htown 11-10-2007 04:07 PM

I cant remember the name, only the situation. I will use the search to see if I can answer my own question. Thanks anyway.

htown 11-10-2007 04:23 PM

The guys name is samael9. Has anyone heard from him?

steelhauler2007 11-10-2007 05:48 PM

He delivered to the Bermuda Triangle.

htown 11-10-2007 06:47 PM

:lol:

Bigmon 11-10-2007 07:44 PM

Last I remember he said he wasn't gonna post because of the people ragging on him for leasing.

tootie04 11-10-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmon
Last I remember he said he wasn't gonna post because of the people ragging on him for leasing.

awww cant take negative critisim.....what a shame.

I went to his web page and he was in NY with his truck in OCT. So he still must be leased to Swift and doing fine....

tootie

Skywalker 11-12-2007 02:51 AM

Talking to him now....he's in TX...headed east... toward TN.... still doing well, and trust me...he can handle criticism, but the difference between him and others....he has a concrete business plan and a plan for where he's going and what he's doing...stay tuned for his updates!! 8)

Bigmon 11-12-2007 04:14 PM

I hope he comes back. It'd be nice to hear how it's going. I remember one thing he said was the timing of getting you invoices in by the cutoff date was important to cash flow. Info like that can help out L/O's.

samael9 11-13-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
Talking to him now....he's in TX...headed east... toward TN.... still doing well, and trust me...he can handle criticism, but the difference between him and others....he has a concrete business plan and a plan for where he's going and what he's doing...stay tuned for his updates!! 8)

:evil: Aww, gee whiz guys...... I'm flattered! :evil:

I had actually planned to exhume my old Swift Flatbed thread. But now, you have gone and started a new one for me <evil grin>.

November 7th marked my 6-month anniversary as a Swift O(Lease)/Operator. More on that later, though...

Such a coincedence, Sky... Chatting it up on the phone while you were reading the posts to me, just at a time when I thought it might be nice to update my once loyal audience as to the mischief of yours truly.

"Last I remember he said he wasn't gonna post because of the people ragging on him for leasing."

"awww cant take negative critisim.....what a shame"

Actually, that wasn't the case at all. And Tootie, you should know me better than to cave under a little flame. I never mind telling someone where to go and how to get there <hehe>!!!!!!!!

http://www.pbase.com/ckapp/image/88102090.jpg

htown 11-14-2007 09:22 PM

Looking Good! 8)

samael9 11-15-2007 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htown
Looking Good! 8)

Thanks, Htown!

Yup, Ms. BB is still kickin'. I am so deeply in love with this hunk of bolts. Hard to believe that I've racked up 85,000 on her since signing the papers. She loves getting serviced as much as I do. She's had her fair share of visits to the shop in the past several weeks.

To date, she's gotten new steers, new batteries, a new starter, a new EGR valve, several ECM diagnostics, the re-rate and re-cal back in July, and she gets PM'd like clockwork every 15,000.

But, it pays off handsomely. Her monthly average fuel usage consistently comes back @ 6.8 mpg. Not too shabby for a Dub-9.

Late this winter, I am going to have these guys: http://www.fireemup.com/

Install their Diesel Magnum kit on my tractor. It all makes perfect sense to me. Between the power gain and the increase in fuel economy, my bottom line should look damn good. I might see 9 or so MPG by the time all is said and done.

Swift continues to satisfy... I was having some issues with my DM and fleet manager at the Gary terminal during the past month or so. I was getting quite pissed off about a decrease in my mileage. I did everything I could to resolve the matter, but it got worse-er.

I jumped over the guys in Gary and started a line of communication with the fleet manager @ the PHX terminal. It was a good call and much has come to be as a result.

One of the many things that has made my Swift-Life so good is that I have networked myself with the load planners in the various regions in which I run. We all know each other on a first name basis, they all know my truck number by heart, and they are always happy to receive my calls and route me when I am in their area. This helps immensely when a favor is needed now and then.

Yup. I've been with Swift for 9 months and there's no appeal for me to look outside the company.

I'm very pleased with the operations of the leasing department and its staff. Everyone is extremely helpful to me. There are a lot of things to learn, regarding protocol and procedures, but I seem to find my way around without much fuss.

Believe me when I say that this is hard work. The trainers and the teams, with two log books to play with, do much better than the solos. What makes it so challenging for solos is the fact that Swift sets the rate of re-payment on high. It can be done, though. And I am living proof that the lease is nothing like a fleece.

Still, they'd have to kill me to get me out of this thing...... :twisted:

geomon 11-15-2007 02:26 PM

Yo Clint-o...good to see you tappin the keyboard again. Reminds me I need to give you a call and check in on your world. 'Member...the invite is still valid if you make your way thru the Sactown area.

Skywalker 11-16-2007 01:18 AM

Clint...got your voice-mail....I'll call you in a few days.... I'm up to something 8) No, not a new job....no way I'm quitting my job!! I'm on vacation right now....and well... I'll just have to tell you later... :D :D :D

yoopr 11-16-2007 03:53 AM

Quote:

Glad it's working out for him

worldisnotenough 11-16-2007 09:12 AM

What ever happened to Randolph Scott?

Kurbski 11-16-2007 12:26 PM

Samael9 wrote:

Install their Diesel Magnum kit on my tractor. It all makes perfect sense to me. Between the power gain and the increase in fuel economy, my bottom line should look damn good. I might see 9 or so MPG by the time all is said and done.

Sounds like a good investment. Have you asked the mfg about propane consumption ratios ? or what size propane tank they recommend for your truck ? They pictured a 40 lb horizontal tank in the bed of a pick up.

Filling might be a challenge now and then unless you have access to a propane filling facility with easy access. Maybe you can mount an RV rack that secures a 30lb upright tank out of an an impact zone for easy access. Looks like a pretty nice product. Hope it works out ok for you.

samael9 11-16-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurbski
Samael9 wrote:

Sounds like a good investment. Have you asked the mfg about propane consumption ratios ? or what size propane tank they recommend for your truck ? They pictured a 40 lb horizontal tank in the bed of a pick up.

Filling might be a challenge now and then unless you have access to a propane filling facility with easy access. Maybe you can mount an RV rack that secures a 30lb upright tank out of an an impact zone for easy access. Looks like a pretty nice product. Hope it works out ok for you.

It is a very good investment. They claim a 40% savings in *combined* fuel cost. If it's even close to that, I'll be happy. Seeing as how I've burned nearly $40k's worth of juice so far, it will be a welcomed addition to my margin of profit.

I spent a long time on the phone with John @ Fire 'Em Up. Apparently, the ideal ratio of diesel to LPG is 80%/20%. They calibrate the system to stream heated/gaseous LPG at an optimally determined boost pressure. As the gas is fed into the intake tract, the ECM then trims back on the amount of fuel. I guess that the system will get dialed in on a chassis dyno before I take it away.

They have a specially developed 45 gallon tank for class 8 rigs that exceeds DOT safety requirements. Also, because of the relatively small capacity, it in no way butts up against HazMat regulations.

Even though I carry 300 gallons of juice, I only think in terms of 200 gallons. Given the 80/20 ratio, then 45 gallons of LPG should be fine.

As far as where to buy LPG? Just about ever F/J has bulk LPG. I may have to unhook to get pumped, but so what. The money I save, in the long run will be well worth the extra effort.

The whole sha-bang, installed will run just under $5000.00. It should pay itself off very quickly. Figure this: If I knock off even 20% in my overall fuel cost, that would mean 8 grand more in my pocket, at the time of this post.

Very exciting indeed...

tootie04 11-21-2007 01:42 PM

Hey clint....

Glad to see you are still out there and hanging in there.

I didnt mean my comment in a mean or bad way....I was being PMS....ing
and hopeing it would promp you to post :lol:

Have a happy and safe holiday!!

tootie

samael9 11-23-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootie04
Hey clint....

Glad to see you are still out there and hanging in there.

I didnt mean my comment in a mean or bad way....I was being PMS....ing
and hopeing it would promp you to post :lol:

Have a happy and safe holiday!!

tootie

No worries, you evil beotch...... Seeing as how I don't have any of your hair or fingernail trimmings, it would be very challenging to put a curse on you :twisted:

Hope everyone had a phat t-day. I'm taking a 34 in PHX. Denny's serves up a mean turkey dinner (yeah, right). Too bad my favorite Scottsdale haunt, Wildfish, was closed last night. (Wahhhh). :oops: Oh well.

There are a few Doberman listings in the local paper this morning. Maybe it's time for a new Bob.

I thought it might be fun to post my YTD summary for everyone's edification. I had a slight jump in pulse when I saw it. Looks like I'm doing very well. How 'bout that? A Swift fleece-op making money.... Hard numbers tell no lies. I'm right at 30% net, as anticipated. Good enough for a first-year runner, and remember, this is from May '07. The year ain't over yet.

The only thing I can really change is my fuel cost. I literally can't run any harder than I do, I don't suspect that Jerry will give me a raise, and I am not quite ready to approach my bank for a loan to buy out my tractor ahead of the lease's end.

This LPG system is the intelligent ticket to raising my margin. Meanwhile, for a solo runner, I don't see how it could get much better.

The "additional pay" is fuel surcharge money, tarping and tie-down pay.
The "advances" are withdrawals I made from my maintenance account for repairs, dental work and other mundane things. This figure, and "shop repairs" gets added to my bottom line, as it was money I had in savings.

As I don't have much in the way of comparison with other lease-ops, I would welcome intelligent feedback as to how this gig looks to an "informed" eye. Questions are also welcomed.

SUMMARY RECAP SHEET
DUE OWNER
LOADED MILES 71,445
EMPTY MILES 9,573

LEASE AMT (PCT) 0.00
LEASE AMT (MILEAGE) 74,912.43
ADDITIONAL PAY 23,904.92
GROSS DUE OWNER 98,817.35

REIMBURSEMENTS
42 ROAD EXPENSE 461.50
46 BALANCE FORWARD 2,330.14
TOTAL REIMBURSEMENTS 461.50

CHARGES
57 O/O INTERSTATE EQUIP TRCTR PMT 15,457.00
59 QUALCOM 766.18
60 IEL FHUT 60 361.37
61 MAINTENANCE RESERVE 493.93
63 PERFORMANCE BOND 1,450.00
65 O/O INTERSTATE EXCESS MILEAGE 817.29
68 ACCIDENT CHARGES -169.22
69 PRE PASS 116.70
71 SHOP REPAIRS 1,425.35
73 FUEL TAX 738.23
76 CITATIONS 156.50
78 FUEL COM-CHECK 42,289.28
81 O/O COLLISION INSURANCE 1,199.15
82 ADVANCES 5,726.88
83 O/O NONTRUCKING LIABILITY 167.33
86 O/O OCCUPATIONAL ACCIDENT 987.75
89 BALANCE FORWARD 2,330.14
TOTAL CHARGES 74,313.86

UNSETTLED BAL FWD
NET AMT DUE OWNER 24,964.99
ESCROW INTEREST 7.86

geomon 11-30-2007 12:34 AM

(bump)

Clint...you aught to transfer this to the O/O section. Probably get more replies on the numbers.

samael9 12-04-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geomon
(bump)

Clint...you aught to transfer this to the O/O section. Probably get more replies on the numbers.

Ehhh.... Not too worried about it. :roll:

samael9 12-04-2007 02:14 PM

Oh yes. I got a new Doberman right after Thanksgiving. Guess what his name is.... What a cutie.

http://www.pbase.com/ckapp/image/89888001.jpg

geomon 12-10-2007 05:09 AM

Clint...Nice lookin dog, he's the spittin image of Bob. Don't tell me his name is Turk(key).

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-10-2007 05:49 AM

Quote:

Having well thought out business plan sounds all fine an dandy , But unless I'm wrong regardless of his plans he would still be getting paid the going lease rate...And I beleive this is why lease ops fail not the lack of a business plan ...After all you can have all the plans in the world ,but it takes money to carry those plans out ,And I do beleive that is missing element in lease purchase ... :?:

tootie04 12-11-2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:

Having well thought out business plan sounds all fine an dandy , But unless I'm wrong regardless of his plans he would still be getting paid the going lease rate...And I beleive this is why lease ops fail not the lack of a business plan ...After all you can have all the plans in the world ,but it takes money to carry those plans out ,And I do beleive that is missing element in lease purchase ... :?:

That is the case in 90% of L/P BUT Clint is an exception to the rule. He fits the profile of one who will make it.

He has very little overhead....no wife, kids, child support, rent....ect so he is one of the few who CAN make if he plays the game smart he will win.

tootie

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-11-2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

That is the case in 90% of L/P BUT Clint is an exception to the rule. He fits the profile of one who will make it.

He has very little overhead....no wife, kids, child support, rent....ect so he is one of the few who CAN make if he plays the game smart he will win.

tootie

So basicly he lives in the truck ,and lives to pay for truck ...That doesn't sound like making it to me ...That's like buying a house you can't afford and having nor car no furniture and eating at the shelter , And getting all your clothes at the thrift store .

tbrown 01-07-2008 03:48 AM

Oh yes. I got a new Doberman right after Thanksgiving. Guess what his name is.... What a cutie.

Oh my Clint... he does look just like Bob...a beautiful Red!!

Glad to hear you're still doing the "do." If you're happy, you're happy and isn't that what most of us are striving for in one fashion or another?

rons247 03-01-2008 03:10 AM

sounds good

bigm3944 03-16-2008 10:03 PM

[quote="samael9"]
Quote:

Hey clint....SUMMARY RECAP SHEET
DUE OWNER
LOADED MILES 71,445
EMPTY MILES 9,573

LEASE AMT (PCT) 0.00
LEASE AMT (MILEAGE) 74,912.43