Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Southern Refrigerated Transport (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/29118-southern-refrigerated-transport.html)

davemaes 08-21-2007 12:13 AM

Southern Refrigerated Transport

Southern Refrigerated called me today. It was a short conversation, so I was wondering if I could get some insight from anyone who might drive or has drove for them.

Jackrabbit379 08-21-2007 04:13 PM

I dont know anything about the company, but you might scroll down, or search for SRT, you will find a lot of older threads. There are several SRT threads.

davemaes 08-21-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
I dont know anything about the company, but you might scroll down, or search for SRT, you will find a lot of older threads. There are several SRT threads.

Thanks

Jackrabbit379 08-21-2007 07:36 PM

Youre welcome, davemaes.

blackwolf07 04-06-2008 12:44 PM

I just ended my job with SRT-Do not drive for them!

They'll drive ya into the ground if you let them-the pay is poor and the signon bonus is a joke-the maintenance is really bad(better off having your service done during hometime-if they get you home).

I know-all companies are pretty much the same when it comes to all the bs they spread, but SRT is one of the worst.

Also-their SafeStat score is an abysmal 97, with 100 being the worst-they will be losing the prepasses soon, and there is a huge lawsuit pending over an accident in December where a driver killed a woman just 8 minutes out on his first load after orientation.

Try and find another company to drive for-that's my advice!

countryhorseman 04-06-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwolf07
I just ended my job with SRT-Do not drive for them!

Also-their SafeStat score is an abysmal 97, with 100 being the worst-they will be losing the prepasses soon, and there is a huge lawsuit pending over an accident in December where a driver killed a woman just 8 minutes out on his first load after orientation.

Try and find another company to drive for-that's my advice!

Let's see: Are we talking about Southern Refrigerated Transport out of Arkansas, or Southern Refrigerated Transport LLC of Mississippi?

If there Safe-Stat score was a 97, well, that would be excellent! And since complete Safe-stat scores, at this time are not available to the public, it would be interesting to know how you came up with your imaginary number!

SRT of Arkansas!
In the last 30 months, they have had 97 reportable accidents (based on states that report, not all do), 5 which resulted in fatalities, and 41 that resulted in a injury! (remember, a bruise is considered an injury). with a reported 781 power units, that is not bad, in a reality since, considering the number of miles those trucks travel in a year!
Source Page: http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/Acc...010&WhichForm=

Now lets look at Driver Inspections: 3037 were conducted in the last reported 30 months, of those, 217 were Out-of-service type inspections, which resulted in 0 OOS orders, for an average OOS Rate of .071 - again, not a bad number, in fact excellent!
Souce Page:
http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/Dri...010&WhichForm=

While I am not, and have not ever driven for SRT, or any of their affiliate companies, I despise someone putting out crap, that they cannot substantiate through fact!

Want to compare numbers to any other 48 state carrier, you can start the search on this page:
http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/safestatmain.asp

Sounds like another disgruntled driver, that could not make it on the open road!

Added note: IF they were indeed in a position to loose pre-pass and such, they definitely would have had a compliance review since 2004!! Just about every large or medium sized company out there has some type of lawsuit going against them in regards to an accident. It is the vulture mentality of the lawyers!! Big trucking company = Big dollars!

blackwolf07 04-06-2008 07:31 PM

Ok-so why would the safety department there be broadcasting to every driver how close;ly they are watching EVERYONE?! And the SafeStat score has been posted in the Safety Department since December.

So when you say "Imaginary Number", better get your facts straight pal-you know what they say about the word assume.

BTW-This is the same company that fails to send the long form medical reports to the state of residence-in my case they failed to send a long form that had the blood pressure readings on it, and Indiana medically disqualified me from the date of that medical-06/04/07-but SRT did not inform me of what had happened, even though the state told them that I was not qualified to drive until a proper medical had been done-and I drove for them until 03/03/08.

Finally-here is the REAL explanation of the Safestat Score-you obviously do not have a clue what you are talking about:

SafeStat calculates a SafeStat score to rank carriers in descending order by their safety status (i.e. a carrier with the highest SafeStat score is the first ranked carrier in terms of poor safety status). SafeStat does not assign SafeStat scores to all carriers. To obtain a SafeStat Score, a carrier must be deficient in at least two different Safety Evaluation Areas (SEAs). SEA values range from 0 (best) to 100 (worst). A SEA with a value from 75 to 100 is defined as deficient (highlighted in BOLD type). SEA Values that are less than 75 are not used in the calculation of a SafeStat Score.

Quote:

SEA values range from 0 (best) to 100 (worst). A SEA with a value from 75 to 100 is defined as deficient (highlighted in BOLD type).
Read a little more next time.

dle 04-06-2008 07:53 PM

I drove for SRT, in fact I trained with them.

They pull dry and reefers in 48 and Canada.

Overall I had a good experience with them.

At the time I thought their breakdown and maintenance was a joke - but then I went to Werner. I took a pay cut going to Werner as well.

Yes, they will run you as hard as YOU let them --- hmm wonder how many other companies does this to.

countryhorseman 04-07-2008 01:02 AM

Hmm, maybe the safety department wants to keep everyone on their toes and on best behavior! Or maybe they have found that is one of the best ways to rid themselves of malcontents, that refuse to follow rules and instructions!

You did get me on one thing, a number of 75 or greater does indicate a deficiency, but again, the number quoted in my previous post, and those on the SafeStat website, that are available are well below that! Read the numbers!

If the numbers you are quoting is something on your companies bulletin board, well, more than likely it is a game, that many large carriers play to keep attention of the borderline drivers.

As for long forms from your DOT physical! 1 - not all states require it and 2 - I have not once been asked for my long form, and have only been asked once, in 5 full level one inspections for my physical card(Banning, CA). Also, I could not find anywhere stating that the form needed to be sent to your state of residence, unless that is something weird Indiana request, then it possibly may be the drivers responsibility to provide that, and not the carrier. Not sure, I would not be a Indiana resident!

As for the blood pressure thing, the federal regs changed sometime late in 2006, so it is quite possible it occurred between your 2 year renewal!

As for Indiana and notification - had their been an issue, you would have been mailed an official letter to your residence notifying you of the problem!

I posted the link to the SafeStat website, go there, type in Southern Refrigerated, and look at the available data yourself! But since you just want to rant, it shows with the available data posted for SRF is well below what you stated!

Keep barking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwolf07
Ok-so why would the safety department there be broadcasting to every driver how close;ly they are watching EVERYONE?! And the SafeStat score has been posted in the Safety Department since December.

So when you say "Imaginary Number", better get your facts straight pal-you know what they say about the word assume.

BTW-This is the same company that fails to send the long form medical reports to the state of residence-in my case they failed to send a long form that had the blood pressure readings on it, and Indiana medically disqualified me from the date of that medical-06/04/07-but SRT did not inform me of what had happened, even though the state told them that I was not qualified to drive until a proper medical had been done-and I drove for them until 03/03/08.

Finally-here is the REAL explanation of the Safestat Score-you obviously do not have a clue what you are talking about:

SafeStat calculates a SafeStat score to rank carriers in descending order by their safety status (i.e. a carrier with the highest SafeStat score is the first ranked carrier in terms of poor safety status). SafeStat does not assign SafeStat scores to all carriers. To obtain a SafeStat Score, a carrier must be deficient in at least two different Safety Evaluation Areas (SEAs). SEA values range from 0 (best) to 100 (worst). A SEA with a value from 75 to 100 is defined as deficient (highlighted in BOLD type). SEA Values that are less than 75 are not used in the calculation of a SafeStat Score.

Quote:

SEA values range from 0 (best) to 100 (worst). A SEA with a value from 75 to 100 is defined as deficient (highlighted in BOLD type).
Read a little more next time.

headborg 04-07-2008 07:20 AM

Well I almost went to work for them... from what I was told by recruiters, talked to drivers. And read--- seemed to be OK out fit.

But, my wife said I couldn't park a Purple Truck in the driveway-- because she didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night with a band of bed sheet bandits dancing around a burning cross planted in our front lawn.

and they said I couldn't have a power inverter over 800watts-

and I would have to take the bus down to Texarkana for orientation- not a really big deal-- but since they were too cheap to rent me a car- I went with

Shaffer instead.

the are fair about paying an extra .05cents for haz-mat loads,
and you can use the qual-comm( read & send) while the truck i in motion( like any big boy with half-a-brain should be able too safely.

and they have the desk/drawer in the freighliner.( nice not to be driving a completely stripped fleet truck.)

but, I was worried about the quality of their refridgerated freight and where I would find myself setting at sorry grocery warehouses.