Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Central Transport or Yellow? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/27810-central-transport-yellow.html)

russk1 06-21-2007 02:59 AM

Central Transport or Yellow?

I Have been offered two jobs. Central transport as city driver in chicago starting at $19.00 hour.Yellow is road driver out of chicago ridge .41c a mile. I was wandering if any one has worked for these co. and what ther experance was. Just got done with 1 year comitment to SNI as reginal driver 30 c mile.

Smooth 06-21-2007 04:22 AM

Yellow can be rough your first few years , but Chicago is a hub terminal so you are more then likely to keep you fairly busy at least during the summer and you can pick up city work if road lays you off .

Central by all accounts is a terrible company who advertises all over the place . A few drivers on here have drove for them and can give you detailed input on how horrible they are .

Ian Williams 06-21-2007 05:38 AM

Both could be ok.

I'd go with Yellow. Better bennies, job security and you will top out at 53cpm (IIRC) in 2 years. The parent company is talking about merging the linehaul side of Yellow and Roadway.

FYI most every LTL is always hiring city drivers in larger high cost of living areas.

I know our barns in Oakland and Sacramento are having a hard time keeping people. They use all our drivers at the hubs and they are not getting back on time.

BigWheels 06-21-2007 12:09 PM

I'm coming up on my 1 1/2 year anniversary with Central Transport as a city driver.

Yes--Central Transport has been a terrible/horrible company to work for in years past. However, in the past 6-months, I see things changing s-l-o-w-l-y for the better.

Here's one example: when I first started with CT, by the time freight got to my barn, a fair amount of it had been damaged one way or another. Now, I see far less damaged freight by the time I load it on to my city truck.

Another example: when I started, overtime was after 60-hours per/week. They recently lowered it to 55-hours per/week. I suspect they will lower it again within 6-months to 1-year. (sure wish they would have overtime after 8-hours per day!)

I'm not sure if I can wholeheartily recommend CT to other drivers just yet...BUT things are changing--now may be a good time to get in....

ben45750 06-21-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Both could be ok.

I'd go with Yellow. Better bennies, job security and you will top out at 53cpm (IIRC) in 2 years. The parent company is talking about merging the linehaul side of Yellow and Roadway.

FYI most every LTL is always hiring city drivers in larger high cost of living areas.

I know our barns in Oakland and Sacramento are having a hard time keeping people. They use all our drivers at the hubs and they are not getting back on time.

I agree, I would go with Yellow. I work for Roadway and I'm pretty happy. Just have to get your time in and build seniority to avoid lay-offs.

ben45750 06-21-2007 06:22 PM

Might go check this site out. More dedicated to the LTL drivers. There is a CT and Yellow section.

http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/

Snowman7 06-21-2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben45750
Might go check this site out. More dedicated to the LTL drivers. There is a CT and Yellow section.

http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/

They dont have a section for CT there Ben. They have Central Freight but thats a different company.

My cousin works at Central Transport and they are getting better but they have a long way to go. One good thing is the work is steady (partly due to the high turnover) and you'll be home every day. Yellow is a much better long term option but you will have periods of no work or lay offs for 2-5 years in the beginning (due to low turnover ). A good employer dont mean squat if your too low on the board to make a paycheck. Yellow has alot of laid off drivers right now and this is the busy season. But if you can afford to stick it out you'll be glad you did.

06-22-2007 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWheels
I'm coming up on my 1 1/2 year anniversary with Central Transport as a city driver.

Yes--Central Transport has been a terrible/horrible company to work for in years past. However, in the past 6-months, I see things changing s-l-o-w-l-y for the better.

Here's one example: when I first started with CT, by the time freight got to my barn, a fair amount of it had been damaged one way or another. Now, I see far less damaged freight by the time I load it on to my city truck.

Another example: when I started, overtime was after 60-hours per/week. They recently lowered it to 55-hours per/week. I suspect they will lower it again within 6-months to 1-year. (sure wish they would have overtime after 8-hours per day!)

I'm not sure if I can wholeheartily recommend CT to other drivers just yet...BUT things are changing--now may be a good time to get in....

Sign the card, driver. Get yourself overtime after 8/40. A hefty pay-raise up to union-scale. A pension. Medical benefits with no out-of-pocket expenses.

If you stand around and wait for things to happen, the only thing you'll get coming to you is the shaft.

BigWheels 06-22-2007 04:19 AM

yeah...I hear ya....

russk1 06-23-2007 06:57 PM

Central Transport or Yellow?

I went to Yellow every thing seemed to go good,told me to go to DMV and get a driver history report,said ok and left.Went to local DMV was told it would come from down state.Icalled line haul manger to give a update I was told no problem fax it over when you reiceve it.When Igot home Ihad Email saying he had found some one more qualified for there needs. :evil: Look out Centrail Trainsport here I come!