Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Which Company: Gordon, Watkins/Shepard or Central Refrig ? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/27447-company-gordon-watkins-shepard-central-refrig.html)

Brad M 06-03-2007 11:44 PM

Which Company: Gordon, Watkins/Shepard or Central Refrig ?

I have looked into these three companies for the last several months as a newbie not yet with my CDL, trying to find the best fit. I live in Eugene, OR along the I-5 corridor and want a company that treats it's drivers well and provides decent time at home. I am looking for solo western regional or dedicated, dry van or refrigerated.

Gordon: Driving School training for 4 weeks then 4 weeks OTR with trainer at $325 a week, then .30 CPM as a new solo driver.

Watkins and Shepard: Their own driving school for 4 weeks, 10 day orientation and then on your own with a tractor/trailer. Start at .28 CPM.

Central Refrigerated: Their own school for 4 weeks then OTR for up to 7 weeks starting at $425 week for the first two weeks and then $500 week up to week 7. Start on you own at .28 CPM.

Any information to help me to decide will be greatly appreciated as well as any other companies that I may have overlooked.

jnk2001 06-03-2007 11:52 PM

Re: Which Company: Gordon, Watkins/Shepard or Central Refrig

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad M
I have looked into these three companies for the last several months as a newbie not yet with my CDL, trying to find the best fit. I live in Eugene, OR along the I-5 corridor and want a company that treats it's drivers well and provides decent time at home. I am looking for solo western regional or dedicated, dry van or refrigerated.

Gordon: Driving School training for 4 weeks then 4 weeks OTR with trainer at $325 a week, then .30 CPM as a new solo driver.

Watkins and Shepard: Their own driving school for 4 weeks, 10 day orientation and then on your own with a tractor/trailer. Start at .28 CPM.

Central Refrigerated: Their own school for 4 weeks then OTR for up to 7 weeks starting at $425 week for the first two weeks and then $500 week up to week 7. Start on you own at .28 CPM.

Any information to help me to decide will be greatly appreciated as well as any other companies that I may have overlooked.

I'd stick with either Gordon or WS...Gordon would be closer to your home. and they do alot more I-5.

Scoe 06-04-2007 02:45 AM

I thought Watkins/Sheperd offered 10 days of intense training and then straight to the truck?

Rawhide 06-04-2007 04:37 AM

Stay far away from Central refer they won't run you and give you slave wages

06-04-2007 04:44 AM

None. Go Shaffer.

Brad M 06-04-2007 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoe
I thought Watkins/Sheperd offered 10 days of intense training and then straight to the truck?

They have the 10 days of training after you finish their school or come from another school with your CDL.

Brad M 06-05-2007 03:59 AM

I have narrowed it down to Gordon and Watkins/Shepard. I can be driving on my own with W/S in just over a month with their paid school. If I go with Gordon I have to attend a driving school for 4 weeks and then go over the road with a Gordon trainer for 30 days at $325 a week. I would start with W/S at .28 cpm and start with Gordon at .30 cpm. Which company makes the most sense.

Kintama 06-05-2007 05:28 AM

Man that pic is soooo old. GoatSE much?