Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   opportunities for ex-felons? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/25950-opportunities-ex-felons.html)

troutbum49007 03-28-2007 04:38 PM

opportunities for ex-felons?

hey everyone,
i'm having a tough time. does anyone know a trucking firm that hires c.d.l. school grads with a recent (two years old) felony. i've "paid my debt to society", i just want to get on with my life and become a productive member of my community.
thanks,
russ

Lewis friend 03-28-2007 05:40 PM

Oh boy.

What did you do?

i know a few places, but first, what did you do?

LilBit 03-28-2007 05:45 PM

There are companies that will hire you with bad spots on your background, depending on what it was you were in trouble for. I heard awhile back about one particular company that was hiring out of the prison group, don't know if it was just talk or they really were for sure but heard it in enough different places for it to have been believable. Some things that could tie it up would be if you are not allowed to leave your state for the time being, most companies when you start out you will need to be able to travel to different states and depending on your current status if you are able to do so could be issue.

YoungZ.W. 03-28-2007 07:08 PM

Most companies will not hire you with a felony unless it over 10 years old. Swift transportation www.swifttrans.com and Schneider National www.schneidernational.com might train you depending on what the felony was for.

dle 03-29-2007 04:33 AM

You wont have to worry about going to canada with a felony.

The only way to know for sure is to call several companies and ask them directly.

madpuppy 04-06-2007 04:51 AM

felons

Sometimes you have to lie ! I was in the same position 20 yrs. ago. Just try for a local job, until you hit that 10 year mark then do the change of plea.

Karnajj 04-06-2007 12:09 PM

Re: felons

Quote:

Originally Posted by madpuppy
Sometimes you have to lie ! I was in the same position 20 yrs. ago. Just try for a local job, until you hit that 20 year mark then do the change of plea.

Really great advice there driver. I mean it too. Lying is always the best way to get what you want. Really. Who does it hurt anyways? If it gets you a job then anything is acceptable. Sheesh. :roll:

GMAN 04-06-2007 01:05 PM

About the only thing that will help you find a job is to do a lot of let work. Most carriers will require 5-10 years to pass before they will consider you. It depends on what your offense. Each company makes their own rules. Most of the larger carriers list their requirements on the company listings on this forum. California had a program a few years ago to help felons get back into the work force by helping them find carriers for whom to drive. They are the only state I am aware who had such a program. If you already had a CDL and some experience, it might be easier, again depending on the offense. If it is drug related, the road will be difficult for you. I would check with your local state employment office to see if they can help you find a job. There could be a similar program that was available in California in your state. I would not recommend lying about your past. Many of the larger carriers will routinely do a criminal background check on new hires. Your best bet would be a smaller carrier, but it is difficult for a small carrier to hire someone without a couple of years experience. Our insurance won't usually cover an inexperienced driver. Good luck.