Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Wal-Mart vs LTL (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/24222-wal-mart-vs-ltl.html)

Ian Williams 01-25-2007 05:48 AM

Wal-Mart vs LTL

Ok here is an interesting case:

One of the guys on my shift (afternoon P&D and dockwork) at my LTL barn just gave his two weeks notice. He got on at the new Wal-Mart distribution center as a company driver.

[/code]

Mars 01-25-2007 05:58 AM

Not to thread cap, but what do LTL, and P&D mean?

Ian Williams 01-25-2007 06:33 AM

Less-Than-Truckload.

UPS, Con-Way, FedEx, Yellow, Roadway, USF, yada yada yada...

Pickup and Delivery.

You drive around with a 2 axle daycab and pup, taking on or off 1-3 skids at a time.

csramsey640 01-25-2007 12:46 PM

We have a ton of local Wally World drivers with a DC 3 miles away. Those guys have been there from the start and are making some $$ that most company drivers may never see.

I know they wont take anyone without 250k and 3 years experience, but they dont go far anymore. And I hear that they havent had any layoffs in the past 10 years its been open, unlike the LTL carrier down the block.

fasttruck 01-25-2007 01:48 PM

Walmart because sleeping in the truck for $42 bucks a night is what i like to do.

classicxl 01-25-2007 02:37 PM

i would go with wally world

CannedSpam 01-25-2007 04:16 PM

I tried Wal-Mart and could not stand it. Way to structured and to many rules. Good for others but not so much for me. Wal-Mart is not the greatest trucking job out there but there pay is substantially better than those giant mega-corporations like Swift, J.B. Hunt, etc.

Graymist 01-25-2007 05:55 PM

Walmart trucking jobs

Where does one need to apply for Walmart trucking jobs ? Is there any website or company name ? What are the pay and benefits like ? What about mileage and hometime ? Would appreciate a response

csramsey640 01-25-2007 06:37 PM

1st you need to locate a local distribution center, which Im not 100% sure IF or where one is around Pittsburgh. I believe that the one in Woodland PA and the perishables in Bedford cover most of the area. Thats where I would start 1st. The woodland location alsways has ads in our local paper, and want you to contact that DC.

Double R 01-25-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

perishables in Bedford
That's ran by SNI. They are contracted by Wal-Mart. You would be a SNI driver, NOT a Wal-Mart driver.

Smooth 01-25-2007 07:30 PM

1-800-803-7348

Call that number for actual walmart transportation jobs , they give you a list of DC's that are hiring and you give that give them your address and they send you application .

mike3fan 01-25-2007 08:58 PM

home time is 2 days a week,expect yours to be Tues and Wed. just starting out.

danj_otr 01-25-2007 11:49 PM

If you drive for Wallyworld, that is really good, and they pay nicely.

If you drive for another company, and run dedicated, then it can suck depending on the terminal! I loved running Walmart Dedicated, hated my DM's and the terminal though.

01-26-2007 02:12 AM

Re: Wal-Mart vs LTL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Ok here is an interesting case:

One of the guys on my shift (afternoon P&D and dockwork) at my LTL barn just gave his two weeks notice. He got on at the new Wal-Mart distribution center as a company driver.

It's a good gig, but I personally would go LTL line-haul before I went with Wal-Mart. You can make just as good money as a WallyWorld driver and be home every day and every weekend.

They do pay for sleeper-berth time and they pay mileage off the hub, which is nice. I've heard the health insurance kinda sucks, tho. I dunno, I suppose if someone's into the OTR thing, it might be OK. But I never could, nor do I still see, the allure of that way of life. To each their own I guess.

One 01-27-2007 11:17 PM

ok...so what do they actually pay???????

fasttruck 01-28-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One

Yup, that's what I've been doing when it comes to this journal...Slacking. I'll give it a shot bring it up to date for now.

I was using one truck the entire 6 days I was delivering freight. I didn't have to slip into another one through out the work cycle...thank God. I was scheduled to switch but they couldn't get me back to the DC in time, so they told me to keep it. :)

I'll give you the pay schedule I work on;

.375 CPM All "Hub" miles. (Odometer)

Arrive (AR) = $6.75 (send macro when arrive at store, vendor, DC)

Hook (HK) = $8.50 (Hook up to a trailer on work assignment)

Stop (ST) = $9.00 (multiple delv or pick up)

Vendor Live Load 1st stop (LL1) = $8.50

Vendor Live Load 2 nd stop (LL2) = $6.25

Unscheduled Time (UT) = $14.00 an hour (anything after 45 minutes at any location)

Layover (LO) = $42.00 (sleeping in the truck)

Chain (CH) = $15.00 ( to install and again when removing chains, if use is desired by the Driver)

+++++++ much more, but these rates will be key to figure my normal weekly pay.

My job has been; start at the DC with a load to a local store. Deliver that loaded trailer to the store and pick up the empty in the dock. From the store with the empty they have 2 choices for my work assignment; send me back to the DC empty and do another store delivery, or go to a vendor and pick up some freight going to my or any other nearby DC. That's it! That's my job. I've only been to 2 other DC's, other than mine, during this entire time with Wal*Mart. I've been to all of the west coast DC's as a Schneider Driver.

My pay for my first week on my own;

Miles = 2490 X .375 cpm = $933.75

AR = 17 X $6.75 = $114.75

HK = 15 X $8.50 = $127.50

LL = 1 X $8.50 = $8.50

UT = 1 X $14.00 = $14.00 + all the time the computer credits to me that I have no clue of??????

LO = 4 X $42.00 = $168.00

That sums up my first week at an estimated total of $1366.50

Once I get the system down and see where I can make more money and reach the max CPM pay in 2 years (.41 cpm) I think I'll be financial A-OKAY!

I made more CPM and did more miles per week at Schneider, but I wasn't paid for things like sleeping in the truck. I was on schedule for $70K as a team driver with Schneider but I think my first 12 months with Wal*Mart should be $60K-$70K as I work my way up and learn the system. Remember, I'm low man on the totem pole at a new company. My experience only got me the job. I now have to start over from mile #1.

I start again in the morning at 0700 out the gate. This is scheduled to be my short week. I am on a flex schedule of 6 days on, 2 days off, then 4 days on, 2 days off.........and so on. I can work more, but not less. I plan on working 5 days when I'm on my 4 day week (need 34 hour restart). When I get my own truck I will bid for the 6 on, 2 off permanent schedule.

From a good source

Ian Williams 01-29-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasttruck
Quote:

Originally Posted by One

Yup, that's what I've been doing when it comes to this journal...Slacking. I'll give it a shot bring it up to date for now.

I was using one truck the entire 6 days I was delivering freight. I didn't have to slip into another one through out the work cycle...thank God. I was scheduled to switch but they couldn't get me back to the DC in time, so they told me to keep it. :)

I'll give you the pay schedule I work on;

.375 CPM All "Hub" miles. (Odometer)

Arrive (AR) = $6.75 (send macro when arrive at store, vendor, DC)

Hook (HK) = $8.50 (Hook up to a trailer on work assignment)

Stop (ST) = $9.00 (multiple delv or pick up)

Vendor Live Load 1st stop (LL1) = $8.50

Vendor Live Load 2 nd stop (LL2) = $6.25

Unscheduled Time (UT) = $14.00 an hour (anything after 45 minutes at any location)

Layover (LO) = $42.00 (sleeping in the truck)

Chain (CH) = $15.00 ( to install and again when removing chains, if use is desired by the Driver)

+++++++ much more, but these rates will be key to figure my normal weekly pay.

My job has been; start at the DC with a load to a local store. Deliver that loaded trailer to the store and pick up the empty in the dock. From the store with the empty they have 2 choices for my work assignment; send me back to the DC empty and do another store delivery, or go to a vendor and pick up some freight going to my or any other nearby DC. That's it! That's my job. I've only been to 2 other DC's, other than mine, during this entire time with Wal*Mart. I've been to all of the west coast DC's as a Schneider Driver.

My pay for my first week on my own;

Miles = 2490 X .375 cpm = $933.75

AR = 17 X $6.75 = $114.75

HK = 15 X $8.50 = $127.50

LL = 1 X $8.50 = $8.50

UT = 1 X $14.00 = $14.00 + all the time the computer credits to me that I have no clue of??????

LO = 4 X $42.00 = $168.00

That sums up my first week at an estimated total of $1366.50

Once I get the system down and see where I can make more money and reach the max CPM pay in 2 years (.41 cpm) I think I'll be financial A-OKAY!

I made more CPM and did more miles per week at Schneider, but I wasn't paid for things like sleeping in the truck. I was on schedule for $70K as a team driver with Schneider but I think my first 12 months with Wal*Mart should be $60K-$70K as I work my way up and learn the system. Remember, I'm low man on the totem pole at a new company. My experience only got me the job. I now have to start over from mile #1.

I start again in the morning at 0700 out the gate. This is scheduled to be my short week. I am on a flex schedule of 6 days on, 2 days off, then 4 days on, 2 days off.........and so on. I can work more, but not less. I plan on working 5 days when I'm on my 4 day week (need 34 hour restart). When I get my own truck I will bid for the 6 on, 2 off permanent schedule.

From a good source

Interesting.

Sounds like the life of a LTL Line driver except you can make a bit more $ and stay in the sleeper rather than a hotel room or your own bed.

At my barn line drivers earn $1100-1500 week.

Do you get paid to fuel?

Are you required to chain when necessary or can you camp out in the sleeper and wait out the chain requirments?

$8.50 for hooking a 53' is nice. I only get ~5.80 for hooking doubles.

On the other hand in LTL land you are on the clock at $21/hr for all delays.

Looks like its what floats you boat; both are good jobs that pay you for ALL of your time.