Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Jerry Moyes buys out Swift, Good or Bad for drivers? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/24111-jerry-moyes-buys-out-swift-good-bad-drivers.html)

danj_otr 01-22-2007 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bumper:
I guess this means we can start calling Swift drivers "Jerry's Kids" again...

Yeah, I guess so. He went out just after I started, and he came back in after I left. Who knows what is going happen now... Oh well, don't work for Swift any more, so I guess I shouldn't worry :wink:

Skullitor 01-24-2007 04:15 AM

Maybe a return to Freightliner?No more Sweedish Petes ? 8)

Sheepdancer 01-24-2007 02:19 PM

This is a good thing for JB Hunt believe it or not. His buy out means that JB is now the #1 publicly traded trucking company. Things like that matter to the investors and the customers. Which equates to good things like more freight and my company stock.

Orangetxguy 01-24-2007 02:44 PM

Wow...I find it hard to believe that a Customer would care one tiny bit, whether a Trucking company was :shock: "Investor-owned" or :arrow: "Family-owned" :!: :!:

I would think the customer would be more concerned with the services provided.

Just my opinion

:moose:

Sheepdancer 01-24-2007 02:59 PM

it does matter to customers a little. I wouldnt call it mattering a lot. Really it comes down to things like this. When our account managers are out there trying to get freight, being able to say things like "we are the number 1 publicly traded trucking company in the nation" would be a valuable sales tool and would equate to being able to get more freight. Everything positive matters in sales.
As far as investors, companies at the top of a sector are usually used as the benchmark to measure the entire industry. Which is a great thing.

feederfred 01-24-2007 08:26 PM

The business "buzz" in Phoenix is that because the industry as a whole is in a slump right now, that Moyes is just "buying low" and will hold on to it for a couple years and then re-sell in a year or two when the business returns. Must need more cash for another house in Paradise Valley.....

kips41 01-25-2007 03:51 AM

You gotta be kidding. Publicly traded JB Hunt vs Swift.

Both known to be cut throat in cutting frieght rates.

The only thing that matters to their customers is how much does it
cost to have it hauled and is the service good enough to keep the
shipper's customer off their back.

It is not like Swift is some no name start up company.

OverTheRoad 01-25-2007 01:51 PM

Good for Jerry..... good old fashion entrepreneur.
Now maybe him and Walt will merge and really piss you guys off. :):)

danj_otr 01-25-2007 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skullitor:
Maybe a return to Freightliner?No more Sweedish Petes ? 8)

Not likely! Look on the web for why Freightliner axed the contract with Swift. Something about filing warranty claims on non-warranty parts, and Freightliner caught on to it...

It is a toss up either way because I liked both for different reasons.

OverTheRoad 01-26-2007 01:38 PM

I was thinking..... Why would Jerry want to buy out the stockholders and go private. That sounds like the last act of a desperate man. We might be seeing the end of Swift as we know it.
When was the last time you heard of or saw a huge Public company buyout their stockholders and go private. That is backward, its the opposite way of doing things.