Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Thinking TMC? Have experience? Any questions? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/24094-thinking-tmc-have-experience-any-questions.html)

csramsey640 01-21-2007 12:58 AM

Thinking TMC? Have experience? Any questions?

OK, I am not in recruiting, nor am I 100% sure of every example, but I believe I am among the few who just signed on to TMC with experience.

Let me shed some light since, what I went through was 100% different than say Flatbed Fred, or some others have went through.

1. I started with 1 year OTR Flatbed experience, but with a concentration of freight, so I didnt get a vast majority, some lumber, some steel.

I was told 1 week classroom, 2 weeks OTR to "polish" up with various types of loads.

RULE #1

Do not believe 100% of what the recruiter will tell you. I was told that I would be leaving from Des Moines with a trainer....reality? 2 people actually left from Des Moines, the rest were sent home to meet with a trainer.

RULE#2

Make sure that your recruiter gives you an orientation checklist! My checklist was 6 days worth of clothing, and a sleeping bag. I got there with a rude awakening, I needed work boots, a road atlas,a voided check, etc.

OK, The road atlas I should have known better, Ill claim that one. Since I was never paid direct deposit, I had no idea what was needed, but was able to get the info. And the boots, again I had no real idea what the weeks schedule was, and really didnt know that they had a policy(Ido now)

Ok so after I got the kinks worked out, It was great!!! I ended up in a small class of approx 12 people with experience. Some had a few years experience flatbed, and left within 3 days in their own truck. Others of us, did 5 days classroom, and 2-4 weeks with a trainer. I have no idea what those of you with no OTR do, since they were in a different classroom.

We took our road test on Monday, and got that out of the way. mucho paperwork, physical,drug test, etc etc and 2 days of load securement catchup.

I recommend checking into TMC no matter what level of experience you have. I also admit I learned more about the company by speaking with Fred, and checking www.flatbedfred.com than I did from my recruiter. However I have no ill feelings, since I no longer deal with that department now.

I dealt with Randy Groff....Randy is a very good person, and easy to get along with. If you screw off, or are late...he may just send you home, and for just reason. I remember reading a post a while back that someone felt they were very arrogant, etc. The person who wrote that, must have never dealt with a shipper or receiver yet...because Ill guarantee, if you cant put up with Randy or Austin, youll never make it a day in the field...FOR ANY COMPANY. These guys can come off as being a grump, but they do not mean harm, and may just be testing your waters to see how you act under pressure :wink:

I am now back home, and will leave out next week. I can say everyone was A+, very nice, professional, and my classmates were good all around people. I look forward to a good working relationship with the company. I came to Des Moines with a CAN DO attitude, and no the "every company is against me" attitude, that many have.

GoldiesPlating 01-23-2007 06:33 AM

Good post and thanks for the positive compliments. I'm sorry you had a bad rub with your recruiter. Some are better than others while some, who are really GOOD, do drop the ball sometimes.
Call me anytime!

csramsey640 01-23-2007 12:05 PM

Fred, I dont hold any grudge. If it wasnt for you-know-who's work, I would have been with another company right now, and not realized what I could have missed out of.

I would have been on the road right now, but my truck went down before leaving out, and I never even looked at it because I didnt think Id need it anytime soon. I didnt want to hold my trainer up any, and since he was going West, we agreed to meet up either if he passed through this week, or next weekend. I want to be out in the truck so bad right now, I cant wait.

Thanks again for all your hard work Fred, without that email, I may also have been with another company. I can say, I had a blast the week that I was there. Some people had too much of a blast and were sent home for just reasons, but I enjoyed talking with others, I met some new friends, and learned some things from Randy, that I was never shown or knew.

repete 01-24-2007 01:05 AM

thanks for the unbaised info, If I go I'll make sure I take a check :wink:

GoldiesPlating 01-24-2007 03:53 AM

Thanks a lot for the compliments. Good luck to you and call ANYTIME!!!

csramsey640 01-24-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete
thanks for the unbaised info, If I go I'll make sure I take a check :wink:

:lol: I rode the train from PA to Chicago, and then a 48' Cabover to Des Moines. The bus trip took like 9 hours since we hit some heavy snow and ice. I got to the bus depot, and called the Baymont. The shuttle came and picked me and another up, and by the time I checked in, it was 11pm. I read through my info, and filled out when needed to be filled out before day 1. My roommate showed me his checklist, and thats when I knew I came ill-prepared.

At my 1st opportunity, I told Randy(who was my orientation trainer) that I didnt have a checklist, and understand that I need a few items for the week. Although I have boots, atlas, etc at home, I offered to go buy another set if need be, so I didnt hurt myself, or be "out of spec"

I ended up not having to purchase anything, but I do recommend that you ask for a checklist, bring some work boots, jeans, a voided check and a motor carriers atlas.