Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Indian river (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/23667-indian-river.html)

Templedawg 01-11-2007 04:22 AM

wasn't Indian River and Para-Marine owned by the same guy or by 2 brothers or something? I talked with a para-marine driver one time and he told me how they expect you to run.. Sounds alot like what cyanide was talking about. I haven't seen para-marine in years, i guess they got put out of business by DOT?

Big_Al 01-17-2007 12:35 PM

They pay crap! I cannot figure out why anyone, in this day and age, would consider driving for any company that pays less than 40 cents a mile. Makes no sense to me.

Cyanide 01-20-2007 01:41 PM

They were both owned by the same man, John Harned, after Mrs. Maggie retired. Para Marine went under after the wastewater incident a couple years back (when I was at IRT). Long story short, Para Marine had an account set up hauling wastewater from the mines in FL and those tanks were not to be used for any food grade loads again (namely Minute Maid and Tropicana). Needless to say they got caught hauling juice in a few of them and all hell broke loose.

Para Marine died, IRT suffered some setbacks and then, North American Tank Lines was created to help them get back in with MM and Trop. Funny how money can bail a low life company out of the fire over and over again. One day though their luck is going to run out...

glasman2 01-20-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Al
They pay crap! I cannot figure out why anyone, in this day and age, would consider driving for any company that pays less than 40 cents a mile. Makes no sense to me.

You know this is 2 or 3 times you posted this crap about not working for anyone who wouldn't pay 40 cents. Both times when it had to do with noob drivers.

You were asked before, so I'll ask again.

Where is this job that you can be hired in ANY state straight out of school and get paid 40 CPM.

Now put up or shut up.

glasman2 01-20-2007 03:33 PM

oops! wrong person, but you fall in this category so my question still stands.

01-20-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

40 cpm is nothing to brag about. Linehaul drivers where I work make .53 cpm and home every day and weekend. 100% terminal-to-terminal drop-n-hook to boot. No messing around with all that time-wasting garbage at shippers/receivers/grocery warehouses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasman2
Where is this job that you can be hired in ANY state straight out of school and get paid 40 CPM.

Yellow, Roadway, FedEx Freight, Conway, Central, Old Dominion, ABF, UPS Freight - to name but a few. All will train you to work the dock and get your CDL. Best of all, you don't owe your soul to the company store.

glasman2 01-21-2007 12:13 AM

Most of these companies your talking about, you working the dock, loading and unloading trucks, and sometimes for years before you get behind a wheel.

I know you had to toss your 2 cents in and figured you would, but we were talking OTR trucking weren't we? 1/2 of those companies are not here in my town, the other half your working the docks like stated above.

I'm getting to old to be doing all that lifting all day long every day, been lifting for the last 30 years, figure it's time to stop.

Got any other ideas?

Big_Al 01-21-2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Well, first off you seem to have a reading comprehension problem because:

1. You obviously confused me with another poster.
2. I didn't see anyone saying they were a noobie.
3. I never said you could make .40 plus right out of school.

That being said, off the top of my head, here are a few. I have 5 and 1/2 years experience, I make .45 a mile on practical miles. I drive for Shaffer. Millis Tranfer pays over .40. Hell even JB Hunt pays over .40.

I can't understand it when I see these ads for .34 a mile for experienced drivers. Who do they hire? Guys with crappy driving records? There is a company in Ohio, Jamestown Express, they start experienced drivers at .24. Where do they find morons to drive for .24?

Skywalker 01-21-2007 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyanide
Oh, on a side note, the turnover here at Superior and over at Carry is around 35% each, with the majority of it attributed to drivers who simply cannot adapt to driving and handling a tanker. It's not for everyone :wink:...

35% churn rate? That's incredible in this day and age when most drivers come and goes like the wind. Looks like you've found a winner there, driver.

He's telling the truth too. I have been with Superior since the end of October, and just alittle bit ago I went up to Kingsport and did my "formal" tanker training week there...got paid to drive up and back, and paid to do the training for 5 days. Covered a ton of information. Anyway, I digress..
but the company/corporation "Superior Bulk Logistics" that owns both Superior Carriers and Carry Transit openly post the "retention statistics" for every terminal in the system on the bulletin board....and the statistics are really startlingly low for the industry. It says alot about the company and its operational culture.

Quote:

Amazing what happens when drivers are treated right and paid a good wage for all their efforts on the job! :D That's why there's no driver shortage. It's really a lack of quality companies who value their workforce.
How very true, how very true!!

glasman2 01-21-2007 02:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, first off you seem to have a reading comprehension problem because:

1. You obviously confused me with another poster.
2. I didn't see anyone saying they were a noobie.
3. I never said you could make .40 plus right out of school.

That being said, off the top of my head, here are a few. I have 5 and 1/2 years experience, I make .45 a mile on practical miles. I drive for Shaffer. Millis Tranfer pays over .40. Hell even JB Hunt pays over .40.

I can't understand it when I see these ads for .34 a mile for experienced drivers. Who do they hire? Guys with crappy driving records? There is a company in Ohio, Jamestown Express, they start experienced drivers at .24. Where do they find morons to drive for .24?

I guess you didn't see the post below that post that said OOPS wrong person. So if I have a reading comprehension problem , guess you do too LOL .

Look sorry, I hit the wrong button, didn't mean to even talk to you.