Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Arrow Trucking (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/23063-arrow-trucking.html)

Thankyou 12-16-2006 08:26 PM

wishing you....

I really do wish you the best.....And Merry christmas

KATMANN 12-17-2006 02:35 AM

Re: Arrow Trucking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thankyou
Because I've been out of the seat for a while, I know CFI would require me to run with a finisher for 4-8 weeks. Bummer for my dog; can't do it to him again.....

Correction.....2 weeks not 4-8...

Is that 2 weeks for all? Or, just the experienced??

Inquiring minds want to know!!

samael9 12-17-2006 12:00 PM

Re: Arrow Trucking

Quote:

Originally Posted by KATMANN
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thankyou
Because I've been out of the seat for a while, I know CFI would require me to run with a finisher for 4-8 weeks. Bummer for my dog; can't do it to him again.....

Correction.....2 weeks not 4-8...

Is that 2 weeks for all? Or, just the experienced??

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Hey Katmann,

You might want to PM Skywalker. He is a CFI guru and likely knows most anything regarding CFI policies and practices. Noobs go out with finishers after their orientation, that is for certain. Experienced drivers leave orientation without finishers. I was the exception due to my accident. Were it not for the ding, I would have only been required to attend orientation and pass all the prerequisite testing.

Inquiring minds want to know!![/quote]

Hey! That's MY line.... :x

Up at 0430. Yikes. Couldn't sleep another wink. Wishing to err on the side of caution, I boxed up everything I could think of, within reason, to take with me on the Greyhound to Tulsa. Recruiting said they would do everything they could to insure a load running past my home so I could gather the rest of my things and set up my rig-crib. But I'm thinkin', hey; this IS trucking after all and one thing is for sure.... don't count on anything_stuff changes.

Funny: Debbie in recruiting told me that they would do everything possible to make sure I get home for xmas. I told her that I don't recognize the holiday and that I would prefer to run instead. She said that she doubts that dispatch ever heard that one before and that attitude would likely earn me a few extra gold stars right off the bat.... <hehe> I'll need all the help I can get.

Now, about that road-test tomorrow........ My stomach is in knots.

-FlyByNight- 12-17-2006 07:43 PM

You can read what I said about Arrow in this post:

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=21811

Good luck! :)

CB JR. 12-17-2006 08:44 PM

Hello fellow Ex-W/S'er. I was just wondering what happened to you the other day! Good to hear you're off to drive again. I've been doing P&D for a while now and hate it with a passion over at OD. I'll be looking at going back to OTR eventually, but maybe in the Spring. Keep us posted on how flatbedding goes.

toner 12-18-2006 02:46 PM

good luck on your road test today clint! make sure and post about your experiences in orientation - as an arrow "desk driver" i always like to hear about it! a couple weeks ago when our phones/internet were down the boss sent us to hang out with the orientation class, and it was really interesting. got to sit in on the mirror station and the backing demonstration.

samael9 12-21-2006 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toner
good luck on your road test today clint! make sure and post about your experiences in orientation - as an arrow "desk driver" i always like to hear about it! a couple weeks ago when our phones/internet were down the boss sent us to hang out with the orientation class, and it was really interesting. got to sit in on the mirror station and the backing demonstration.

Hey Toner,

Thanks for the "good luck". I'm sure needing it! 7 months out of the seat, and I am really rusty. My hat's off to the training department. They are being extremely patient with me. I've driven twice with two different trainers. I drive again tomorrow morning and I feel confident that I will be more relaxed and more precise in my actions with the rig. My anxiety meter was near the top of the scale during the road test. I'll get it though; not worrying about it tonight.

The experience during orientation is extremely good. It is evident that these people really do know what's going on. All the classes on load securement, tarping, etc. are very well designed and presented. Again, each one of the instructors speaks from wisdom accumulated in flat-bedding. There is no mistaking that these guys have all spent a lot of time in the business.

I am also very impressed with the "put your money where your mouth is" attitude so prevalent in all the company policies and procedures. It may not hold much appeal to those folks who don't want to be accountable for their actions, but there are numerous areas where a driver can and will be charged back for stuff like out-of-route miles, equipment, freight damage and the like. It is obvious that Arrow means business and won't tolerate much due to irresponsibility and negligence.

Arrow does not pay based on practical miles, if I understand correctly, so it remains to be seen how the paid miles versus actual miles compare. All the benefit packages appear to be excellent, in as far as I understand them. One thing they do offer is a legal plan, which I immediately signed up for.

The trucks are fairly plain-jane, in terms of interior trim, but they have LOTS of motor. All the trucks are rated at approximately 500 hp. All of them have 10 speed trannies. They make sure you have all the necessaries, in terms of securement and dunnage, before you hit the road. They also have an accessories department, so you can load up on extra straps, bungees, etc.

Again I have to reiterate; the classes are excellent. And the manuals are beyond reproach. The people who created the driver's manuals deserve a Pulitzer prize. Everything you would ever need to know about the job is in these two books. They also developed a "mirror station" which is a set up out in the yard to demonstrate the most effective way to adjust and use your mirrors. It is brilliant, is worthy of a copyright and should be licensed and standardized and incorporated in all driver education. Sheer genius....

I tested out in load securement today and did very well. I had a great time with the chains and straps. It felt really good to use my muscles after sitting through a lot of academia. I know I will be a good flatbedder. I love this stuff! Tarping didn't seem to be as bad as all that I have read about. There is a very logical manner in which to lay these things out and tie them down. Sure; weather will always be a factor in securement and tarping, but to me, I think it's very cool stuff.

I look forward to finishing my testing tomorrow and getting a truck assignment. While I understand that freight is slow industry-wide right now, I'm not going to fret. I don't want to have to be in a hurry to get things done as I build up a solid knowledge base and experience. Actually, I am grateful to be coming aboard during the off-season so I can gradually become acclimated to this aspect of the industry.

Wishing all a safe and healthy holiday season.....

samael9 12-22-2006 01:25 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes indeedy..... Got my truck!!!! A 2004 Freightliner Columbia with a scant 281k on the clock. Outside: spotless. Inside: Get out the 409, bucket and some rags. Overall, very pleased.

The treatment in taking delivery of my tractor was very gratifying. Everyone, and I mean everyone though the offices and shop were genuinely "kind" in making sure that everything was current and up to spec. They even threw on a new set of tires on my drives when I pointed out some tread blocks which were missing. These folks are very cool and I am very glad to have found this company.

I wasn't able to get routed today, but I am sure I'll get loaded tomorrow. They are going to make sure I get to run through Neosho so I can pick up all my stuff and my buddy, Bob. This company runs everyone home for xmas, no matter if it's deadhead or loaded. I don't know of any other carrier that will bear this large of an expense to please its drivers and their families.

CB Jr. Sorry for not saying "good to see you here again" sooner.... But, nice to see you still kickin' around the boards :P

That's it for now.....

CB JR. 12-22-2006 03:35 AM

That truck is practically brand new compared to old red faithful you once had! From what I've heard, I think you'll enjoy flatbedding much more than furniture delivery to ma & pa's no assisting you unload stores.

rockaholic 12-22-2006 05:51 PM

Does Arrow get you home on most weekends. If not, what is the Arrow hometime policy?