Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   JB Hunt and Swift- Training, Pay and Benefits (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/20703-jb-hunt-swift-training-pay-benefits.html)

newbiedriver02 09-21-2006 09:15 PM

JB Hunt and Swift- Training, Pay and Benefits

I have been accepted to both schools for my CDL. I got in on the military program. I want to get the best pay and benefits possible. Could I get some information on the best training from these companies? I want to get my CDL with the best company possible. Does anybody know which company that I should choose? I would like to stay in the Southeast region. I have to start next week so I need to know soon.

Thank You,

Stephen Sistare

09-22-2006 02:19 AM

Just grab a dart and start tossin'. They're all pretty much the same minus the paint job and DOT number on the door.

JB Hunt doesn't train anymore. Instead, they have a small army of low-life recruiters trolling all the truckstops.

youngtrucker08 09-24-2006 05:18 AM

I think you should look more closely into both. JB does have an excellent triaining program to get your CDL if you were recently in the military. They use one of the top schools in the country, which is located in Drumwright, Oklahoma. If you look across the board they have much higher OTR pay, which you will probably be stuck doing with both companies for the first few months out of training. JB also has a lot of dedicated runs to choose from after you have gotten some experience. I would look into both carefully and find out everything you can. BOL

TrooperRat 09-24-2006 05:29 PM

Both companies are equally horrible.
Both companies use recruiters, as all of the big ones do, that will lie through their teeth to get you into their system.
JBHunt trucks are governed at a maximum 62 mph, I think Swift is set at 65.
Anyway about it, entering the trucking industry nowadays must be a hell I am glad I will never have to go through.
I have found that the best jobs are with the companies who are not trucking company, instead, they have their own fleets of trucks to deliver the products they are selling.
I am currently working for a company that gives me the same benefits as everyone else in the company (everyone else being non-drivers/management), including 8 paid holidays, 2 weeks per year vacation, 1 week sick leave, and 3 personal days. All paid. Try to find THAT from ANY trucking company, good luck. 401k, stock options, allowed to use truck for personal use, huge company parties that are totally awesome, cool working atmosphere, GREAT pay, home every night, in fact, I get very good money and work 8 hours a day, no weekends. Buy anything the company sells - which is a HUGE array of household items, AT COST plus 5%, which is FAR better than wholesale prices. Freebies galore, every day, plus the eventual opportunity to get completely OUT of trucking, which is my goal - the company has a "culture", they call it, of promoting from within. For those experienced drivers that are wondering WHAT this place is, it's Ferguson Enterprises, they are in all 50 states, their parent company, Wolseley, had 20.8 BILLION in sales last year. Plumbing, waterworks, appliances, Fire, heating cooling divisions and more.

This is for anyone with any experience. If you are tired of bs, working your behind off, getting shafted in the process, and are looking for a GOOD job, THIS is the company to come to. Yes, it is hourly, and yes, they will lowball you, offering you $15 per hour to start, but if you have enough experience, they WILL pay MUCH more. Just have to talk them into it : ) BTW, I'm just a driver, I don't get anything for that freebie promo for them. They are mostly unknown, except for the industries they are serving, because they do very little advertising. This company rocks. I haul large and small pipe and all the accessories/commodities that go with it - drive semi's, International 4400's, small stakebed trucks, even company pickups, whatever they want, that I do, it all pays the same. I LOVE going HOME ---- EVERY DAY!

But, I paid the price to get there. You will have to, too, if you are serious. Personally, if I WERE to drive for one of these lying trucking companies again, I would get all of their promises both on tape and in writing. I would bypass these recruiters, call the company, ask for management and get some REAL information. You can ask other drivers, but sometimes even they don't give you correct information. Remember, recruiters only business is to bring you to the company they are "currently" working for. They don't CARE what they tell you, the falsify information, the way over-exaggerate, and basically offer you heaven. What you end up with, of course, is ALWAYS something very different. I don't like ANY of them, so you won't get any good references from me, but I will say that on the top 3 list of the ones I REALLY hate is J.B.Hunt, Werner Enterprises and Swift.

For the future, if you make it through all of this, get some experience under your belt, remember Ferguson Enterprises, they're in the phone book, and, as I said, they are in all 50 states.

Sevlow 09-24-2006 05:38 PM

Actually JB is governed at 65 mph now and Jb Hunt's pay has gone up and they still have the best benifeits I think in the industry. Atena health and vision and perscription drug plan. Also their life insurance is pretty darn good as well. Check out their web site at www.jbhunt.com The only thing they need to work on is getting miles for all their 11,000 drivers!!

It doesn't matter if it's BIG or small. Why can't these companies just be honest for once. That's all drivers are looking for. What makes the trucking industry so special that they ALL have to lie to make a buck? Whatever happened to honesty is the best policy or Making and honest buck?

TrooperRat 09-24-2006 05:56 PM

I quit JB Hunt late last year - the lies they filled my ears with were unbelievable.
I hadn't heard they had upped the speed on those trucks, they were ALL set at 62 mph last year, except for some "test" area in New York or somewhere where they were testing out trucks being set at a higher speed.
Whatever, my company truck does 80mph, in Arizona all interstate highway speed limits are 75 mph, except for some inner city portions. I can't even imagine going back to that piece of junk truck Hunt had me driving - an almost 8 year old international that was falling apart. They promised a brand new tractor, of course. The real problem was the pay - they totally lied about it, even though it was a dedicated run - which allegedly is preset in pay scales.

The problem with the trucking industry, and recruiters lying, is that everyone is desperate for drivers. ALL of them. I found a study conducted by some company that specializes in doing these kinds of things that states that by year 2014, this country will have a shortage of over 300,000 drivers.
It also states that a greater portion of the driving force is older and will be retiring within the next 10 years - meaning the trucking industry is screwed if they don't get with the program. The biggest complaints this study found were lack of pay and being separated from home for long periods of time, with irregular intervals - read: unreliable and dishonest - for getting home. Many recruiters lie about the time home "stuff", leave the cussing out, but if I could, I would definitely lay it on here.

The point is simple: truck drivers should be paid much more money than they are making in exchange for the sacrifice they make in staying out on the road as much as they do. They should also be given a regular schedule of home time that is nonretractable for any reason. If you WANT to spend six months on the road and not come home, that's a different story.

Sevlow 09-24-2006 06:04 PM

I TOTALLY agree with that TrooperRat! You guys do WAY too much stuff for free! The last company my husband was with omg, they were horrible. His dispatcher was trying to get him to back log and when he wouldn't do it the miles dropped VERY low to like 1200 - like 900. We've had it, with having to lie to make an honest buck. But if you are lieing then you aren't making an honest buck now are you? I think we are ALL just sick of the lies. It doesn't take a rocket scientes to figure out what is wrong the industry. If these companies and I mean ALL of them would wake up and realize one thing. Geee my turn over rate is sooooo high how do I fix that? One simple answer, just be honest actually come through with you promise on the phone. Then there wouldn't be no shortage everyone would be happy!

Sheepdancer 09-24-2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrooperRat
I quit JB Hunt late last year - the lies they filled my ears with were unbelievable.
I hadn't heard they had upped the speed on those trucks, they were ALL set at 62 mph last year, except for some "test" area in New York or somewhere where they were testing out trucks being set at a higher speed.
Whatever, my company truck does 80mph, in Arizona all interstate highway speed limits are 75 mph, except for some inner city portions. I can't even imagine going back to that piece of junk truck Hunt had me driving - an almost 8 year old international that was falling apart. They promised a brand new tractor, of course. The real problem was the pay - they totally lied about it, even though it was a dedicated run - which allegedly is preset in pay scales.

The problem with the trucking industry, and recruiters lying, is that everyone is desperate for drivers. ALL of them. I found a study conducted by some company that specializes in doing these kinds of things that states that by year 2014, this country will have a shortage of over 300,000 drivers.
It also states that a greater portion of the driving force is older and will be retiring within the next 10 years - meaning the trucking industry is screwed if they don't get with the program. The biggest complaints this study found were lack of pay and being separated from home for long periods of time, with irregular intervals - read: unreliable and dishonest - for getting home. Many recruiters lie about the time home "stuff", leave the cussing out, but if I could, I would definitely lay it on here.

The point is simple: truck drivers should be paid much more money than they are making in exchange for the sacrifice they make in staying out on the road as much as they do. They should also be given a regular schedule of home time that is nonretractable for any reason. If you WANT to spend six months on the road and not come home, that's a different story.

8 Year old INTERNATIONAL?
Ive worked here quite a long time and the only Internationals I have seen is the few brand new ones we just added to our over the road fleet.
Hmmm...something doesnt seem right about this story.

About hometime....Companies dont dictate hometime as much as the freight does.

Im not trying to be a smartass or anything. I see drivers all the time that say things like "drivers should be paid way more" and "drivers should be home a lot more" Do you know what you should do? You should open up your own trucking company and pay the drivers way more money....and get them all home everyday. Come on, you should be able to make it work. Hell, Jb Hunt started with a 7th grade education and 25 bucks.
I tell you what, you create a billion dollar trucking company which pays the drivers 60cpm and gets them home every day and I will personally come recruit for you. Those would be easy jobs to hire for.
Unfortunately, that wont work. Business just doesnt work that way. Customers are the reason drivers are paid what they are. If you raise drivers pay a lot, you have to charge the customers a lot more. Eventually some company will pay their drivers less and take all the freight.
Once again I will go back to the tiresome "all recruiters lie" crap.
Thats a very generalizing statement. I can guarantee that I am lied to by drivers WAY MORE than you are lied to by recruiters....but you will never see me say things like "all drivers lie".

devildice 09-24-2006 10:26 PM

Enough is enough.....if the pay is so terrible and the home-time seems nonexistence, yada, yada, yada....then GET OUT OF THE INDUSTRY. Go work for Wally World as a greeter, or flip burgers for Micky D's......either way you'll be home every night and lets see how you like the pay.

JUST STOP YOUR CRYING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheepdancer 09-24-2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildice
Enough is enough.....if the pay is so terrible and the home-time seems nonexistence, yada, yada, yada....then GET OUT OF THE INDUSTRY. Go work for Wally World as a greeter, or flip burgers for Micky D's......either way you'll be home every night and lets see how you like the pay.

JUST STOP YOUR CRYING!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL....Funniest comeback I ever heard from a recruiter at work:

A driver told the recruiter "I dont want to run OTR....I make 450 a week and I am home every night"
The recruiter said, "So does my pizza delivery guy"

Devildice brings up a great point. This industry needs OTR drivers. And that takes people who are willing to go out on the road and spend some time out there. I know it can be tough. But it is a CHOICE. Personally, I see some of the paychecks the OTR drivers I hire bring home, and its not bad pay.
You also see a lot of drivers on these boards complaining that some companies are talking about bringing drivers from Mexico to solve the driver shortage. On the same boards you hear the same drivers complaining about running OTR and being away from home so long.
You really cant have it both ways. Thats just what the job of a long haul truck driver is. There are plenty of local and regional jobs out there for drivers. You also have that choice.....but dont expect them to pay as well as OTR. No one is forcing anyone to be an OTR driver. No one is forcing anyone to stay away from home for a few weeks. All Careers are a CHOICE.
The drivers that make the most money in this industry are the OTR drivers who are flexible with their hometime. Its the same with almost any job in any industry. Those who succeed the most are those who go the extra mile.

Crete_drvr 09-25-2006 12:43 AM

I agree with alot of which you say sheepdancer.

People in general, not just drivers bitch about things. Separation from family is a fact of life in the OTR industry and I believe is the number 1 thing that causes %140 turnover. Rookies have to understand the concept of "earning ones stripes" their first year and it's real tough, not just money-wise, but being away from family is tough emotionally, it certainly has taken a toll on my marriage. Since I've switched to Crete the money has gotten much better and I have to make a decision to take a local job that pays $500-600 week vs. where I'm at now is $1000.

devildice 09-25-2006 12:46 AM

OK all.....I am active duty Navy with over 21 years of service. Soon I will be retiring and starting my second career as an OTR driver. For the past couple of years I have conducted as much research as humanly possible.
Read countless websites, forums, talked to recruiters and drivers.

Although I want the honest unadulterated truth about the business, I get so tired of hearing the same old negative stuff about lack of pay, gone from home for what they (some drivers) believe is long periods etc.

If they think the pay and time away from home is bad, then they need to try the military. The pay in the military is not all that great. Sure we get some other benefits to help offset it, but at 21+ years, I am making what a solo OTR with a couple of years experience would make on average.

And for those that think spending 2, 3 or even 4 weeks away from home is bad????......LOL.... try being away from home for an average of 6-8 months at a time (that is Navy, other branches can be longer).

And while we are out to sea, we are working 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week!!! Let them try that schedule and see how they like it....oh, and in the military we have no HOS...lol

One thing that all my research has showed me is that being a OTR driver, it is NOT a job, but rather a lifestyle.....

Sorry to ramble on, its just hard enough for us "wannabes" to try and sift through all the information to determine what is fact and what may have been embellished and these guys that complain about trivial crap really gets on my nerves.

Sheepdancer 09-25-2006 12:51 AM

Quote:

Both companies are equally horrible.
Both companies use recruiters, as all of the big ones do, that will lie through their teeth to get you into their system.
JBHunt trucks are governed at a maximum 62 mph, I think Swift is set at 65.
Anyway about it, entering the trucking industry nowadays must be a hell I am glad I will never have to go through.
I have found that the best jobs are with the companies who are not trucking company, instead, they have their own fleets of trucks to deliver the products they are selling.
I am currently working for a company that gives me the same benefits as everyone else in the company (everyone else being non-drivers/management), including 8 paid holidays, 2 weeks per year vacation, 1 week sick leave, and 3 personal days. All paid. Try to find THAT from ANY trucking company, good luck. 401k, stock options, allowed to use truck for personal use, huge company parties that are totally awesome, cool working atmosphere, GREAT pay, home every night, in fact, I get very good money and work 8 hours a day, no weekends. Buy anything the company sells - which is a HUGE array of household items, AT COST plus 5%, which is FAR better than wholesale prices. Freebies galore, every day, plus the eventual opportunity to get completely OUT of trucking, which is my goal - the company has a "culture", they call it, of promoting from within. For those experienced drivers that are wondering WHAT this place is, it's Ferguson Enterprises, they are in all 50 states, their parent company, Wolseley, had 20.8 BILLION in sales last year. Plumbing, waterworks, appliances, Fire, heating cooling divisions and more.

This is for anyone with any experience. If you are tired of bs, working your behind off, getting shafted in the process, and are looking for a GOOD job, THIS is the company to come to. Yes, it is hourly, and yes, they will lowball you, offering you $15 per hour to start, but if you have enough experience, they WILL pay MUCH more. Just have to talk them into it : ) BTW, I'm just a driver, I don't get anything for that freebie promo for them. They are mostly unknown, except for the industries they are serving, because they do very little advertising. This company rocks. I haul large and small pipe and all the accessories/commodities that go with it - drive semi's, International 4400's, small stakebed trucks, even company pickups, whatever they want, that I do, it all pays the same. I LOVE going HOME ---- EVERY DAY!

But, I paid the price to get there. You will have to, too, if you are serious. Personally, if I WERE to drive for one of these lying trucking companies again, I would get all of their promises both on tape and in writing. I would bypass these recruiters, call the company, ask for management and get some REAL information. You can ask other drivers, but sometimes even they don't give you correct information. Remember, recruiters only business is to bring you to the company they are "currently" working for. They don't CARE what they tell you, the falsify information, the way over-exaggerate, and basically offer you heaven. What you end up with, of course, is ALWAYS something very different. I don't like ANY of them, so you won't get any good references from me, but I will say that on the top 3 list of the ones I REALLY hate is J.B.Hunt, Werner Enterprises and Swift.

For the future, if you make it through all of this, get some experience under your belt, remember Ferguson Enterprises, they're in the phone book, and, as I said, they are in all 50 states.

Nothing wrong with Ferguson, Wosely is a good company, I was recruited by them after college. Benefits were ok, pay wasnt that great. The stock hasnt been doing too well lately. But hey, Im glad you got a job, you love.
I would hope you are making more than 15 bucks an hour now. To me it just sounded like you didnt want to be a long haul truck driver for a career. Nothing wrong with that. A lot of truck drivers love being OTR and spending time out on the road seeing the country
Thats the great thing about this country....the FREEDOM to CHOOSE your career.
By the way...most big companies have the "promote from within" policies. That is not just exclusive to Ferguson. We have 100s of ex drivers in our corporate offices. In fact two of our Corporate VPs started out as drivers for us.
As far as recruiters like me offering you "heaven" and lying.(ok here goes my long rant...lol) As a recruiter the only thing I will tell a driver is the averages. IF he asks what the most successful drivers make...I will tell them. Now....as a recruiter....if I hire two drivers the same day on the same job....tell them both the exact same things. And then one fails and the other one does great. The one who failed would call me a liar...the one who succeeded will know the truth. Whats the difference? The one who succeeded just had the right attitude for the job and did what it took to succeed. This is the same for all careers....even mine. Hell, we go through a lot of recruiters. Not everyone can do this job. Its stressful and tough. Some people come on as recruiters and barely make minimum wage. They dont last. In fact if you would ask them today, they would say its the worse job in the world and advise people not to do it. Good thing Im not one of those people who listen to those who fail at jobs. I found out a long time ago these simple truths: If you want to know the truth about a job ask those who succeeded, not those who failed. If you want to succeed at a job, learn and model your work habits after those who succeeded, not those who failed. Trucking is no different. Take JB hunt. We have a driver here who has been here for 19 years. Right now he has over 2 million in his 401K. He still drives and is very happy. If he did it and many others are on the way to doing that....why cant all drivers? The answer: Not all drivers are willing to do what it takes to get where he is. I rarely mention him while im recruiting, honestly, because a lot of drivers just dont seem to care about 401K ( I dont know why this is) But I have a question for you. Say I was trying to recruit you and brought him up. Would you catagorize that as feeding you BS and lying to you about a little "slice of heaven"? Maybe its just me, but if im looking into a new career at a new place, I would want to know exactly what the TOP PERSON in that job was making and what he was doing to make that happen. It would give me a GOAL to shoot for and a career plan. As a recruiter, I want every one of my drivers to do well. The drivers I hire that do well refer more drivers to me and we both make money. Referals are what makes one recruiter better that others. It really does me no good at all to lie to a driver. First of all, they will tell you exactly what the job is in orientation. If a driver leaves orientation, I dont make squat. Secondly, Like i said, A huge portion on my paycheck come from referals from other drivers Ive hired. Why would I kill that huge source of income by lying?
I have no idea why you didnt do well over here. I dont know your story. But I will tell you this. If I as a recruiter tells a driver what our average miles are, what our pay is and what an AVERAGE driver makes over here. I dont just make up those numbers. They are truly our average. And then I tell that driver what some of our above average drivers make over here. Then the driver comes over here and doesnt make the average. I DIDNT LIE. Perhaps the driver was just below average for this job. (not everyone is taylor made for every job) Once again this isnt exclusive to the trucking industry...this is the same for all jobs. Remember 50% of people are always going to be below average with any job. Personally, I love working in a career where Im paid way more that someone that doesnt work as well as me. (the people at the bottom of any job always think the job sucks and the people at the top always think the job is great) Personally, I would hate to work in some hourly postition where everyone is paid equally no matter how hard they work or how much they go the extra mile.

Man....my rants are getting longer and longer.

devildice 09-25-2006 01:05 AM

Bravo.........very well put!!!!

Every job or career is what YOU make it to be.

Longsnowsm 09-25-2006 01:08 AM

Devildice,

I work as a civilian contractor to the Air Force. I talk to young military guys all the time with visions of big paychecks working as a civilian to the government. I sit each of these guys down that is willing to listen and start rattling off the benefits of the check they are getting in the military and when it is all said and done with the tax benefits and access to BX, commisary, housing etc these guys take home more than I do as a civilian as an E6(and I am a pretty well paid IT guy). A huge portion of your income is sheltered from taxes. The good news is that you have been in long enough to retire so you won't be walking away emty handed like a lot of these youngs guys would be. But I think you will be shocked how much Uncle Sam taketh away as a civilian. What I am getting at is you actually take home a good check being in the military if you have been around for a while. You will see what I mean once you retire. Just make sure you enroll in TriCare for your health coverage. Health insurance and your benefits costs are killer as a civilian. BTW, Thanks for your service to this wonderful country of ours!

Your right, compared to TDY's and remote tours driving a truck is nothing in comparison. You have to remember though that isn't the norm for most people in the military to be gone TDY or on remote tours all the time either(it seems to be feast or famine). With trucking this is your day in and day out job and existence. So the reason people mention it so often is because it does get old. There isn't a break from it really so it just wears you down after a while. Also depending on the company your with they will push you as hard and as long as you can take it. This is why people are mentioning this so frequently. That is why it is in your best interests to ask about hometime policy and to find out from drivers if they have any issues getting home if they need or want to. Trust me these same companies will run you as hard as you could possibly want, but when you decide you need a break or want to go home you want to know that the company is going to listen and honor your request. BOL

Longsnowsm

TrooperRat 09-25-2006 02:12 AM

Dear Mr. Sheepdancer
Quite some time ago, I caught you, on this forum, in your lies and "crap". You ARE a smartass, and that's a fact. The account was the Diversified Roofing account in Phoenix, the tractors, almost all of them, were 6, 7 and going on 8 year old tractors. Tired, worn out, pieces of junk. You are a typical recruiter, but you come on here and act as if all recruiters are lily white angels. I have heard your bs story several times, it's all smoke and mirrors.

The fact is, you are working for a LOSER company.

I am working for a GREAT company, which makes J.B.Hunt look like a toilet with dung in it. Take a look at Wolseley, with 20.8 BILLION in sales generated in 2005. I have more benefits than YOU do, and you aren't a trucker, and you certainly don't have a clue. You just come on here and continue to spout off, day after day, luring drivers into J.B.Hunt's system.
Great, if they like it, if not, they have wasted a lot of time, and MOST drivers that come into J.B.Hunt end up HATING it.

I don't CARE how J.B. Hunt started out. I don't NEED to go start a trucking company, I am not working for a trucking company, I would never work for a trucking company ever again.

Trucking companies don't CARE about the drivers, they only care about the bottom line - how many dollar bills they can line their wallets with at the expense of the drivers that are sacrificing their lives, day in and day out, while they are NOT sacrificing their lives, day in and day out, on the road, living in a truck, eating out, away from loved ones.

I work for a company that has it's own fleet of trucks, in fact, they have MORE trucks than J.B. Hunt. But my company isn't a trucking company, it's a company that uses trucks to deliver the products it sells. It's a FAR superior company than J.B.Hunt, and MUCH larger. My company treats it's employees, all of them including the drivers, like human beings. I am making FAR more money than your J.B.Hunt drivers make, guaranteed, and I only work 44 hours per week, no weekends, home every day, with benefits out the yahoo.

Please attempt to tell me that your company gives out 8 paid holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation, 1 week sick leave and 3 days personal time for new hires. I don't live on the road, and I don't have to listen to YOUR BS, because you are like all the rest of them: LIARS.

Thanks for trying, but you aren't even in the same ballpark, in fact, you aren't in the same LEAGUE.

Crete_drvr 09-25-2006 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildice
And for those that think spending 2, 3 or even 4 weeks away from home is bad????......LOL.... try being away from home for an average of 6-8 months at a time (that is Navy, other branches can be longer).

Thanks for your service to our country.
That being said... last I checked this is a trucking forum not a military one. If being away from my wife and son for 2-3 weeks at a time bothers me, why would I care if someone in the military is gone for months?

And you think our gripes are trivial? LOL wait until you get out there in the real world. Shippers and recievers treat you like dog dung, crowded, smelly truckstops with long lines at the register, crappy bacteria-infested showers and crapper stalls, terrible food, sitting for hours on end,your co-workers driving like idiots (not just 4-wheelers) DOT (need I say more?). You'll see.

classicxl 09-25-2006 02:23 AM

I don't see the reason for such a vicious post against somebody you don't even know. If you don't like JB Hunt then get over it. There are lies in any job or career but people find out for themselves and go on to bigger and better things. We are professional drivers on this board so lets stop all the personal attacks that have been happening on the board. PM each other or talk face to face. We are all showing news drivers who come on the board that we cant even get along with each other.

lets try to give honest opinions of companies we have worked for then new drivers and can make there own decision on who to work for because they are here seeking advice from professionals

yoopr 09-25-2006 02:36 AM

Trucking companies don't CARE about the drivers, they only care about the bottom line

Wrong and Your Attack was over the Top.
Chill

devildice 09-25-2006 02:51 AM

Quote:

lets try to give honest opinions of companies we have worked for then new drivers and can make there own decision on who to work for because they are here seeking advice from professionals
Thank you....as a soon to be newbie, that's all I want.....PROFESSIONAL, honest opinions.

Crete_drvr 09-25-2006 02:54 AM

So if I don't sugar-coat things am I not being "honest"??
:roll:

I don't want to be one of those jaded, overly-negative drivers but it's no pleasure cruise out here.

devildice 09-25-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

So if I don't sugar-coat things am I not being "honest"??
No, don't sugar coat anything. In fact, this is the perfect place to "vent". Better here than when you're behind the wheel of an 80,000lb monster.

I guess the point that I am trying to make is that for us newbies, it is already difficult to try and dischyfer the truth from the embellished on its own without all the added bashing.

TrooperRat 09-25-2006 03:13 AM

Not wrong.
It's a well known fact, at least among drivers that have been out here for any length of time, that the bottom line is far more important than the drivers, in reference to large trucking companies. Some, maybe many, small companies are different, but I am not refering to them.
Werner, Schneider, JBHunt, Swift, Knight, the list is seemingly endless - when reality comes to the "rubber meets the road" detour, the detour goe to the trucking company, not the driver. I have done this long enough, I've been there, I've driven for several of these companies, I know this is fact, not fiction.

I don't do those companies anymore, I don't have to and I won't.
Yup, I'm chillin', in fact, getting ready to go to bed, get up in the morning, work my 8 to 9 hours, depending on the day, and then, GO HOME, lol.

yoopr 09-25-2006 03:22 AM

Quote:

Not wrong.
It's a well known fact, at least among drivers that have been out here for any length of time, that the bottom line is far more important than the drivers, in reference to large trucking companies. Some, maybe many, small companies are different, but I am not refering to them.
Werner, Schneider, JBHunt, Swift, Knight, the list is seemingly endless - when reality comes to the "rubber meets the road" detour, the detour goe to the trucking company, not the driver. I have done this long enough, I've been there, I've driven for several of these companies, I know this is fact, not fiction.

I don't do those companies anymore, I don't have to and I won't.
Yup, I'm chillin', in fact, getting ready to go to bed, get up in the morning, work my 8 to 9 hours, depending on the day, and then, GO HOME, lol.

Well I've driven since '78 so I think that's a little "Length of Time"
There are some Large and VERY good companies who treat their drivers Well with Excellent Benefits. You just have to get some miles under your Belt and then find them. I basically know what you're saying though but that's a Big Categorizing ALL Big Companies.
Have a Safe Trip.

Sheepdancer 09-25-2006 04:17 AM

Quote:

Dear Mr. Sheepdancer
Quite some time ago, I caught you, on this forum, in your lies and "crap". You ARE a smartass, and that's a fact. The account was the Diversified Roofing account in Phoenix, the tractors, almost all of them, were 6, 7 and going on 8 year old tractors. Tired, worn out, pieces of junk. You are a typical recruiter, but you come on here and act as if all recruiters are lily white angels. I have heard your bs story several times, it's all smoke and mirrors. .

Ahhh yes....I remember you. Although it wasnt on this message board, it was another one. And if i remember your story right, you never even worked for us because we didnt have any of the new trucks ready and you walked out of orientation. Im sure I could copy and paste your messages from that board but Im sure the moderators over here wouldnt like it....lets just say YOUR STORY IS STARTING TO FALL APART and we will keep it at that. Like i said in your first post when you mentioned 8 YEAR OLD INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS...something seemed fishy.
You never worked for us. In fact that job in Phoenix has one of the lowest turnover rates in the company. Drivers love it. It hasnt opened up for hiring in a year. Tells me that drivers never leave it.

Quote:

The fact is, you are working for a LOSER company. .

My 401k, stock, benefits and paycheck tell me different.

Quote:

I am working for a GREAT company, which makes J.B.Hunt look like a toilet with dung in it. Take a look at Wolseley, with 20.8 BILLION in sales generated in 2005.

WOS= 19.740 billion in revenue last year---thats a little less than 20.8.
5.41 billion in profit.(didnt think I would look it up, did you?)...You seem to be exagerating a bit...or is IT LYING?
Are you really a recruiter? Because you seem to be doing all the things you accuse us of doing?

Quote:

I have more benefits than YOU do, and you aren't a trucker, and you certainly don't have a clue.

Are you sure about that, because Ive never posted my benefits on this message board? Frankly its none of your business what my pay or benefits are. I can tell you, I wouldnt work for crappy benefits.

Quote:

You just come on here and continue to spout off, day after day, luring drivers into J.B.Hunt's system.
Great, if they like it, if not, they have wasted a lot of time, and MOST drivers that come into J.B.Hunt end up HATING it.

Isnt that true with any job? Either you are going to like it or hate it?
Once again, I dont recruit too many drivers out here. Im just here for fun just like anyone else. Yes, if someone PMs me and asks, I will help them get on. Im not going to turn down a hire. If the majority of drivers hated here and failed, we wouldnt be growing every year. Fact is about 20% of all people will hate any job. With the big companies it just seems like a larger number because 20% of 13000 drivers all complaining makes a lot of noise. People that love their jobs dont spend a lot of time telling people about it. Thats just human nature.
Quote:

I don't CARE how J.B. Hunt started out. I don't NEED to go start a trucking company, I am not working for a trucking company, I would never work for a trucking company ever again.

Once again, great.....Im glad you found a job you love. Me personally, I always like to know how a company started out. Its a good business tool to know the road to success with othe companies. And I just said you should start your own company because you seem to know so much about how bunisesses should be run.

Quote:

Trucking companies don't CARE about the drivers, they only care about the bottom line - how many dollar bills they can line their wallets with at the expense of the drivers that are sacrificing their lives, day in and day out, while they are NOT sacrificing their lives, day in and day out, on the road, living in a truck, eating out, away from loved ones.

All companies are in business to make money. I have no problem knowing that the only reason I have a job is to make those above me money and help turn a profit for the investors. Hell, I am an investor. And once again no one is forcing you to become an OTR truck driver. Some drivers enjoy making money and living on the road. ITS A CHOICE AND ITS A LIFESTYLE....it just wasnt for you. That doesnt mean it wouldnt work for someone else.
As far as trucking companies not caring about our drivers. Every Quarter we bring in all are 1, 2 and 3 million mile drivers to corporate, every single one of them and fly in all of their family members. 1 millon mile drivers get a 5 grand check....2 mil drivers get 10 grand check....3 million mile drivers get a 20 grand check. We wouldnt do that if we didnt care about them. Nor would we have more 2 and 3 million mile drivers than anyone in the industry. We must be treating some of them right. Thats just one of the ways we show appreciation for our drivers. I tell you what, invest in that companies 401K and stock. At least I hope you are....and in 19 years if you have 2 million, You can say you were treated better than our drivers. Like I said in another post...that company you work for is a good company. Although lately the stock isnt doing that well, you SHOULD be investing in it. I was recruited heavely by them out of college. I just didnt want to move to VA and the pay wasnt that great.

Quote:

I work for a company that has it's own fleet of trucks, in fact, they have MORE trucks than J.B. Hunt.

According to the DOT you all have 3098 power units. We have over 3 times that many. Wait, Im confused....was that you "exagerating" or what that a lie by your definition? Once again....are you sure you arent a recruiter?

Quote:

I am making FAR more money than your J.B.Hunt drivers make, guaranteed, and I only work 44 hours per week, no weekends, home every day, with benefits out the yahoo.

You stated that you started out at 15 bucks an hour.....I hope you got a lot of raises your first year. And Im happy you are making money. I think you should make 25 bucks an hour or more. I dont know what all our drivers make, I only watch the drivers I hire personally. But there are people on these boards who drive for us that make well over 50 grand a year and I personally know of a few drivers who not only drive for us but actively recruit and they make over 80 grand a year.....from 15 bucks an hour to 50 grand a year in only one years work is a hell of a raise. Great job you got there! You should keep it.

heritage92rs 09-26-2006 10:10 PM

Wow, lots of bashing here. I'm a recruiter, here's my honest opinion.

People can go out and say recruiters lie all day long, and some of them do.

The fact of the matter is, when you call a recruiter, you are usually getting your first impression of the company. If your recruiter believes in the company, and truely loves what they do, you'll hear good things about the company. Once you're hired, any issues you have from there are usually brought up to your fleet manager. If that fleet manager isn't as passionate about their job as your recruiter was, you are the one that suffers. I'm not sure how things go for other companies, but your recruiter always has a lot more pull than you would know. I've helped drivers with miles, pay issues, truck issues, just about everything under the sun. Sometimes it seems like having a recruiter that will keep in touch with you can be the best thing you have going for you.

And if you're wondering about benefits, I've got the same 401K and health insurance as any of our drivers in those big red trucks :)

mjckjs1960 04-20-2015 10:25 PM

I've noticed almost every response was an attack on JB HUNT nobody mentioned SWIFT, WHY the HATE?

fz1rider 05-03-2015 06:46 PM

Just say no....

jimdavis 07-07-2015 04:42 PM

Hello Guys

Thanks for sharing this valuable information but one more thing i want to update you that in also USA top transportation's companies provide best training and better pay with benefits