User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2016, 01:59 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default need help finding a paid CDL training course

Im really interested in starting a career as a truck driver and have done some pre studying to get a cdl. However, Ive applied at several places that train to hire and i keep getting shot down. I have a felony for possession of controlled substance that got dismissed in 2015 before going to trial. .. got two misdemeanor possession of marijuana charges from 2010 and 2013.. two minor fender benders in the past 5 years too (fail to control speed). Also, my license was suspended earlier this year for no insurance surcharge.. Then of course regular ticketes for expired registration and that stuff.. no DUIs/DWIs, speeding or other moving violations..

most places will overlook the felony since i got dismissal papers, but then they say that the misdemeanor needs to be 5 years old. A couple places seemed to overlook both, but then said since my license hasnt been valid for more than a year that i dont qualify. If they dont get me on this, they get me on that. Im not a felon and i have no major accidents. My license was only suspended cause i was broke and couldnt afford insurance. Got an email saying a report from consumer reporting agencies affected their decision on hiring me at one job. Im looking for a company that will give me a chance. Im tired of working restaurants. I wanna get a career in truck driving and ill do whatever it takes. Im in Texas, but im willing to travel to a neighboring state if i have to. Does anyone know a company that would train and hire me?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Sorry to say it but the only way you're going to get a cdl is to pay for the school yourself and then you're going to be $4-5000 in debt and still won't get a driving job. If by chance you do find a company that will pay for your cdl make sure they will hire you after graduation and make sure it's in writing! It wouldn't be the first time a company trained an unqualified student and then didn't hire them for some reason and then bill them for all the 'valuable training"!
Best thing you can do is wait, wait and keep your nose clean. in a few years try again.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 08-18-2016, 11:13 PM
Rookie

How long do companies generally look back at your history? Thought i heard CR England needs 4 for misdemeanors. Also do they all do credit reports?
Old 08-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Senior Board Member

CRE comes across as a bottom feeding predatory company that trains people they know they will not hire and then bills them for the training that can't be used.
I'm not sure how far back company's go back, some it's a set # of years others will not ever hire DUI's or others.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 08-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Rookie

Im thinking about getting my permit and learning from my uncle whose a owner operator, at least in the meantime. Ill just do the best i can and hope to be eligible soon. Its just crazy how i have a really short criminal record, and no real moving violations, yet im treated like a multpi time felon. Im gonna keep trying thou. Im just gonna try to improve credit and not get anymore tickets. Im hoping in a year or two, the misdemeanor will be pushed far back enough for companies to overlook
Old 08-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Just so you know, many companies will not accept a newer cdl holder that hasn't gone through a driving school. Some will but will require you to go thru a couple weeks of OJT and almost all want you to have recent experience.
Before you go thru the headaches and hassles of permits and license look/call around and see what different companies want.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:23 AM
Rookie

Yes i know. Ive talked to at least 10 companies. I think ill be eligible in a year, two years tops. Just gotta stay out of trouble and work on my credit. For now, ill kill the time with something else. A permit is only 11$, so hey why not. Think i got a good idea on what i need to work on. Ill be working towards it
Old 08-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jootgatter View Post
Im really interested in starting a career as a truck driver and have done some pre studying to get a cdl. However, Ive applied at several places that train to hire and i keep getting shot down. I have a felony for possession of controlled substance that got dismissed in 2015 before going to trial. .. got two misdemeanor possession of marijuana charges from 2010 and 2013.. two minor fender benders in the past 5 years too (fail to control speed). Also, my license was suspended earlier this year for no insurance surcharge.. Then of course regular ticketes for expired registration and that stuff.. no DUIs/DWIs, speeding or other moving violations..

most places will overlook the felony since i got dismissal papers, but then they say that the misdemeanor needs to be 5 years old. A couple places seemed to overlook both, but then said since my license hasnt been valid for more than a year that i dont qualify. If they dont get me on this, they get me on that. Im not a felon and i have no major accidents. My license was only suspended cause i was broke and couldnt afford insurance. Got an email saying a report from consumer reporting agencies affected their decision on hiring me at one job. Im looking for a company that will give me a chance. Im tired of working restaurants. I wanna get a career in truck driving and ill do whatever it takes. Im in Texas, but im willing to travel to a neighboring state if i have to. Does anyone know a company that would train and hire me?
Any of the major carriers that offer "paid training" are not going to take a look at you. Just too much there. Dismissed felony drug charge, marijuana charges, uninsured motorist violation. Hate to burst your bubble. The days of the "outlaw" trucker are long gone. The insurance companies, rather than the carriers dictate if you will drive. You will not. Sorry. Put your energy to another positive place and pursue. Glad to hear you are getting your life together.

Back in the day, if you got into trouble, often the judge would give the option of either the Army or jail. If times went south, many sought out truck driving as a last resort. As a vet, I can tell you that the Army route is out for sure. As a driver, I submit to you that those days are quickly coming to an end also.

I must ask you?

Why would I trust you with my $300,000 worth of equipment with a $1,000,000 load of HDTVs?

Just giving you THEIR point of view. Plenty of folks applying to be a professional driver these days without the issues........................

Last edited by belpre122; 08-20-2016 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Rookie

I ended up applying for financial aid through the lone star college system. IDK why i didnt think of it before. Stevens transport and im sure other companies train through them. They aid pays 75% of the tuition. Not sure how thats affected by GPA and regular classes, but if i can get aid for it, why not?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jootgatter View Post
I ended up applying for financial aid through the lone star college system. IDK why i didnt think of it before. Stevens transport and im sure other companies train through them. They aid pays 75% of the tuition. Not sure how thats affected by GPA and regular classes, but if i can get aid for it, why not?
As something other than a driver? You will not find a carrier that will hire you that is worth working for.