User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question US Transport - Dry Bulk

Haven't posted here in a long time, but I figured I'd drop a note and see if anyone has ever worked for this company or know someone who has, or hell...anyone that's run dry bulk before.

US Transport based out of Denver. They have offices in WY, CO, UT, & NM.
I'm looking into possibly getting out of my current position and US Transport is looking for 2 drivers here in Albuquerque, NM.
For the past 3 years I've been working for a rental place (think United Rentals or Ahern type of place), but the commute from my house to the office is about 120 miles round trip, plus our dispatcher has gotten into a nasty habit lately of running drivers 14 - 16 hours some days. When we bring it up that DOT regs cut us off at 11 hours, we get the typical "You like your job, right? Shut up and drive." response. It's not his ass on the line if we get caught.

Anyway, called and talked to someone at the local US Transport office earlier today, they pay 36 cents per mile and the Abq office runs only in NM, so it's out & back then home type of deal unless there are multiple runs that can be made in a day. It's also Monday - Friday, no weekends or "on-call"...both of which I have to do in my current position. Their office is about 35 miles closer to my house, so I knock my 120 mile commute down to about 50 miles. Of course, they also have a full benefit package, which I also get in my current position. Only big change would be getting paid by the mile instead of by the hour. But, NM is a big state and I could easily get 1500 - 2000 miles in a week.