User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaxeman View Post
That's true that Yellow-Roadway Corp. was going to shut the doors down Jan 1. I heard that after the fact. That's fine...but it was the whole sneaky way that it went down. None of us were told anything! We were just forced to Indy at the last minute. They wouldn't even cover getting me home with my property. I had to pay $175 out of my pocket because Celadon gave me $48 and I had to rent a car which costed about $225 with gas. I could have just stayed at home with all of my stuff since I had just left two days earlier. Regardless, I cleaned the inside of the truck before I left because I have class and do what is right. They have none and don't care about anything. We made $560 million blah blah blah but we treat people like sheet. We don't care how or if you get home with your property. That's what it comes down to. Celadon was only looking at their own financial interests in acquiring the property and customer base for cheap and the almighty dollar they can make from it. They are a greedy corporation and all that matters is making money for shareholders.
While I can appreciate your contempt for Celadon, for the money you are out getting yourself home..........Why are you so surprised that Glen Moore was sold? YRC offered them up for sale a couple years ago, when they sold off the "Logistics" side of USF. You have not mentioned if you received a WARN letter in late October. Did you and the rest of the Glen Moore drivers receive one of those? If so....the hand writing was on the wall. 60 days after the issuance of that WARN....you were going to be out the door. YRC has been slowly sliding into the toilet for 4 years. They should finish the slide in the next year or so.

You had a choice. Drive for Celadon until you found something better.....or walk. You chose to walk. Why cry about your choice?

Perhaps you will find the money you want to make in the Chicago area. I doubt it.

I'm not trying to be ignorant towards you......But you did make a choice.

If you want to try something different, get in touch with Ergon Trucking and see if you can get hooked up with them hauling oil in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. You would make about what you have been averaging at Glenn Moore....if not 1/2 again as much more.

Ergon Trucking, Inc. Employment
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
While I can appreciate your contempt for Celadon, for the money you are out getting yourself home..........Why are you so surprised that Glen Moore was sold? YRC offered them up for sale a couple years ago, when they sold off the "Logistics" side of USF. You have not mentioned if you received a WARN letter in late October. Did you and the rest of the Glen Moore drivers receive one of those? If so....the hand writing was on the wall. 60 days after the issuance of that WARN....you were going to be out the door. YRC has been slowly sliding into the toilet for 4 years. They should finish the slide in the next year or so.

You had a choice. Drive for Celadon until you found something better.....or walk. You chose to walk. Why cry about your choice?

Perhaps you will find the money you want to make in the Chicago area. I doubt it.

If you want to try something different, get in touch with Ergon Trucking and see if you can get hooked up with them hauling oil in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. You would make about what you have been averaging at Glenn Moore....if not 1/2 again as much more.

I don't know about Celadon and Glen Moore. I do know that when ITC was sold to M S Carriers back in '98, we got absolutely no warning until one morning in November. We got to the terminal and everybody was milling around. Even the office personal were stunned that the company was sold. No one got any advanced warning about it. And, M S Carriers was one great big step down. Not in their pay, but in the way they treated their drivers. Of the 293 drivers they put on their payroll (out of 315), only six were left after two months. There was very "underhanded" treatment of drivers and a number of flat-out lies. We did find out from one of the former ITC exec's later, that M S Carriers did not want anyone to know they were buying us out because they did not want the drivers to "jump ship".

With the "back door" means that Celadon used to put one of their competing companies out of business, I've never had any respect for them. I would not be the least bit surprised they went about it the same way M S Carriers did. Total and complete surprise. I've always ranked them somewhere along with (not so) Swift.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
They're not allowed to tell you anything. Ever hear of the term "insider trading"? Celadon and YRC are publicly traded companies.

As for them only paying you $48 and you had to pay the rest, why is Celadon responsible? You're the one that quit. They didn't fire you. You left on your own.
If you disclose it publicly, it isn't insider trading. Companies sell assets and attempt mergers and takeovers all of the time....just like AT&T was trying to acquire T-Mobile....and a billion other deals you see all of the time.

I didn't quit nor was I fired. I NEVER WORKED FOR CELADON...NOR WOULD I EVER! I worked for USF Glen Moore dba YRC Glen Moore. Celadon bought the assets and shut the doors on Glen Moore! THE COMPANY I WORKED FOR NO LONGER EXISTS! Celadon forced me and every other driver (GLEN MOORE EMPLOYEEs), my load (A GLEN MOORE LOAD), my company truck (A GLEN MOORE TRUCK AND TRAILER) to Indy where they stranded me. Glen Moore would've made arrangements to get me home even I decided to quit. That's the difference between these run of the mill companies that don't give a flying flock about people!

Frankly, it puzzles me that you are trying to justify the mistreatment of drivers because of greed...just because you work for Celadon! That is why cheap freight companies have and will continue to mistreat drivers...and the industry treatment of drivers, pay, etc. went to hell...because people just shrug like it's no big deal. Steering wheel holding puppets who need to be micromanaged and don't know the difference are a dime a dozen.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
As I recall, back at the "turn of the century", Celadon did not have a very good reputation. A little better than C R England, but not by much. I still haven't figured out how they wiggled out of a conspiracy charge for paying the general manager of another company to run that company into bankruptcy. The (former) general manager of that company went to prison for industrial espionage, and Celadon was actually behind it all. I never worked for them, but I was working for the company that went bankrupt because of them. They got some of the drivers, picked the rolling stock they wanted, and took over the whole customer base.
It really would not surprise me if it is later revealed that there was more than one Burlington ordeal! Sorry that you got caught up in the whole mess! Hopefully, you are a lot better off now.

I have 34-1/2 months experience, hazmat, tanker, doubles/triples, a passport, no tickets, no DUIs and no criminal record. I should be able to find something decent after the holidays. (Celadon gave me a sheet saying I only have 25 months experience for whatever reason...which is completely inaccurate!)
Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
hey madaxeman. I dont blame you i would be pissed too. Sounds like you had a good job. Sucks a coolie bought you guys out. Just keep on looking im sure something will pop up.
Thanks, Mackman! Yes, it was a pretty good job for drivers to have. We got paid pretty well (above average) and had excellent benefits. We were treated really well not only as drivers but as people, too. Many of the drivers were there for a very long time. I feel really bad for them. It happened a week before Christmas, too. The drivers had class and were great people...as well as the rest of the employees in Carlisle and White Pine. I'll miss everyone! I hope they all find great new jobs soon.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post

Orangetxguy,

None of us received any letters whatsoever. We found out on December 15th about 3:30PM via a Qualcomm message (wherever we happened to be with our loads). I actually just left home to go back out again on the 12th (from time off at home).

I do understand YRC is/was having financial issues. The Yellow-Roadway merger came at a bad time and the economy went down the toilet. They laid off a lot of drivers. For the sake of all of the drivers and employees that still work there, I hope they can turn it around.

Celadon is a huge downgrade that involves a lot of complications, a significant pay cut (among other things), and it's not really a "choice". It was more like a forced ultimatum. You couldn't even get a straight answer about anything from Sell-a-con when you asked specific questions. It's like o........k! All of the Glen Moore drivers I talked to either left or were searching for other work. It wasn't a feasible option for me (and most GM drivers) for many reasons.

You are right about Chicago though. I don't plan on staying in Chicago and was actually about to transfer/move when this happened. I did put aside a significant amount while working for Glen Moore. I'm not married and don't have children. I do have some time to job hunt and find something significantly better. I will check out Ergon. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I don't know about Celadon and Glen Moore. I do know that when ITC was sold to M S Carriers back in '98, we got absolutely no warning until one morning in November. We got to the terminal and everybody was milling around. Even the office personal were stunned that the company was sold. No one got any advanced warning about it. And, M S Carriers was one great big step down. Not in their pay, but in the way they treated their drivers. Of the 293 drivers they put on their payroll (out of 315), only six were left after two months. There was very "underhanded" treatment of drivers and a number of flat-out lies. We did find out from one of the former ITC exec's later, that M S Carriers did not want anyone to know they were buying us out because they did not want the drivers to "jump ship".

With the "back door" means that Celadon used to put one of their competing companies out of business, I've never had any respect for them. I would not be the least bit surprised they went about it the same way M S Carriers did. Total and complete surprise. I've always ranked them somewhere along with (not so) Swift.
Windwalker,

That sums it up pretty well! If they actually told us ahead of time, Celadon would have had to pay to recover all of the trucks and loads to their seedy operations, too...instead of the underhanded way they did it for a lot less money. I parked at USF Holland's terminal which they don't own. I know numerous drivers (all over the country) who didn't live near Carlisle or White Pine, parked at 'non-Glen Moore' YRC locations (Holland, Yellow-Roadway, etc.).
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I just love it how you're pissed at Celadon not telling you about the buyout and not Glen Moore. You also keep saying how great you were paid - maybe that's why they went out of business.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaxeman View Post
It really would not surprise me if it is later revealed that there was more than one Burlington ordeal! Sorry that you got caught up in the whole mess! Hopefully, you are a lot better off now.

I have 34-1/2 months experience, hazmat, tanker, doubles/triples, a passport, no tickets, no DUIs and no criminal record. I should be able to find something decent after the holidays. (Celadon gave me a sheet saying I only have 25 months experience for whatever reason...which is completely inaccurate!)
You kept your pay records from Glen Moore for tax purposes, didn't you? What period of time to they cover? If you have pay records for 34 months, you can tell Celadon to "KISS YOUR .....". Next job, take your pay records to your next employer to prove how long you were there. If Celadon insists that you only have 25 months, you may need to account for an eleven months gap in employment when talking to the new employer. But, if you can produce pay records to cover all 34 1/2 months, it shows that the information from Celadon is unreliable.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
You also keep saying how great you were paid - maybe that's why they went out of business.
I love people that think like that LMAO. Let me keep working for lower wages so the company can stay in business. Thats great thinking. Like the company really cares about you. Your just a run of the mill driver to them mega carriers.

Malaki its sounds like your a good driver that cares about your job. Which is hard to come by now a days. But Celadon could careless if you leave 2morrow. Or have one little mess up and they will get rid of you.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug