User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Unless you have a very reliable friend to swap out with you......Your thinking would be better to look at 3 weeks on....1 off. Otherwise....you might come back to find out your truck migrated to Mexico.

There are plenty of these service companies that are hiring O/O's. There are some guys that are making big bucks. Some guys that are making little bucks. But the majority are getting shafted.
i have very good friends that would do this no problem. what i am worried about is getting shafted by the company. just got to figure out how to get in to this.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Board Regular
Default Check these out...

Look up Deer Valley Deer Valley Trucking Inc. | Idaho Falls, ID – Williston, ND

Cascade (don't have a link) they haul water and handle the frac tanks.

Gold Spur out of Minot has lease ops.

Also Wylie Bice, heard good things about them.

Also, check the classifieds out in this link, allot of jobs listed with contact info. The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Justruckin; 08-22-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
Look up Deer Valley Deer Valley Trucking Inc. | Idaho Falls, ID – Williston, ND

Cascade (don't have a link) they haul water and handle the frac tanks.

Gold Spur out of Minot has lease ops.

Also Wylie Bice, heard good things about them.

Also, check the classifieds out in this link, allot of jobs listed with contact info. The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!

Hope that helps.

And the hours and pay rate is about 18 for rookies ?

would they hire someone who just got their CDL ?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Rookie

I haul fresh water for Power Fuels. I make about $400-450 a night in a company truck 6 days a week and I have great benefits. I work 6pm-6am. I have my own place but we have a lot of places for drivers to stay if you aren't from ND. It is easy high paying work. A lot of the o/o companies are hit or miss and there are a lot of fly-by-night outfits up here. My advice if you want to work in the oilpatch is to come work at Power Fuels and make your mistakes in a company truck, then when you get your feet wet if you want to go somewhere else at least you will have some firsthand info. They require 2 years class A exp. unless you're a smooth talker. If that's not an option for you there are leasers and o/o's that will hire you to run their truck at night or run one of their extra trucks (but be warned it can be HARD to get paid by some of those clowns and you'll make less money with no benefits). If you work through a winter driving in the oilpatch and don't wreck anything you can pretty much go to any company out here after that, they usually figure one winter in the oilpatch is enough experience for anyone (and they are right). The companies mentioned earlier in this thread are OK, but their drivers receive little or no oilpatch training and are pretty much just thrown in. The last time I saw a DVT truck with an English speaking driver was February and he was lost. Even if you have a truck that you want to run up here, I would advise you to drive for a company for a few months, learn the roads (they aren't marked like elsewhere and they are ROUGH and tear trucks up), and do your learning curve on someone else's equipment. Another company to look at if you are dead set on n running your own truck is ITL (Iowa Tank Lines). Rookie or no rookie, if you go to work out here for less than 30 an hour (if you're getting cash and no benefits) you are screwing yourself- the girls running the register at the Stanley Cenex at night are making 17 an hour. I live and work here so if you want to know anything specific just ask. I got numbers for my company they are hiring and I can get numbers for others if you want.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Rookie

Hey Lightsout, you say that Power Fuels has lots of places for out of town drivers to stay. What type of housing is it, is it paid by the Co or the driver, is there a time limit you can stay in Co housing before they expect you to find your own pad, etc. I'm interested in the work, but from what I'm seeing unless the Co provides housing or I'm looking to pick up and move, the extra money to be made there will just be spent there on housing. Also do you know what their time off policy is for the out of towners, i.e. three weeks on 1 week off or can you accumulate days off and use them all at once, like working two months then taking two weeks off. I am currently driving OTR and work a month then go home for a week with the family and would kinda like to keep that type of schedule. If any one else has info on their Co's it would be appreciated also. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:13 PM

I have a 39' fth wheel travel trailer, winter ready. Am considering ND for a 6 month winter trial but doing a web search there are few RV parks in the Williston area and I'm sure they are full. I'm sure there have been some new ones built recently but I'm sure they cram them in there like sardines ... If you're situated in a good area, can you be "home" daily? Seen any decent RV parks for those with trailers well situated geographically for drivers?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:33 AM

90k gross a year-don't believe it whatsoever. Prove it. Post a paycheck online. They have an internet program for that.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Board Member

To the O/Op's that wants to put their trucks to work in the patch... Highway spec'ed trucks just fall apart doing oilfield work, (at least here in Canada they do) heavy framed 500 + hp 46,000 rears 4.10-4.30 rears w/ dual lockers being the standard.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Board Regular

Hi Guys..

So I've been thinking the same thing... chasing the money or as they say Rock'n the Baaken. Running in L.A. playing with traffic. Worried about being video taped not leaving a minimum of a 7 second space in front of me is frustrating but im doing it, hard, but doing....

For me my mother in Law lives in Baker, MT and my Ex brother in Law is on the fire dept there in Williston. We would probably live in Baker since I have immediate housing so if anyone has any info let me know...

As for 100hrs a week, no thanks. Running water or a vac truck interests me...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Board Regular

dew,

100 hours+ a week was a GOOD WEEK! You do get time to sleep, trust me, and you are on the clock while you are sawing logs. Ding, ding, ding, ding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Easiest money I have ever made. The hard part is finding the right outfit to work for, or lease on with. It is good money for sure, but there are more than a few fly by night outfits up here. Do your due diligence and do not forget the housing. Living in the truck is not housing, especially when there are few places to take a shower up there in NW ND. I think I know of three such places to get a shower, much less a sit down meal if you drive a truck and need to park it.

It ain't for sissies, but if you are willing the cash is pretty hard to pass up. You will not make this kind of money driving regional or OTR, trust me on that. I figured it out once, as a company driver, I was making anywhere between $2.50 to $3.00 a mile as a company driver hauling water in ND. Just saying.