User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pulling containers compared to dry van trailers

Besides the way the container locks onto the chassis, what would be some of the differences between pulling a container compared to a dry van trailer?

Anyones experience shared here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwervynMervyn View Post
Besides the way the container locks onto the chassis, what would be some of the differences between pulling a container compared to a dry van trailer?

Anyones experience shared here would be greatly appreciated.
the biggest difference is you usually dont load or unload, you pick up a loaded container, they take it off at the customer and you leave with an empty chassis, you will need a twic card for sure
Old 08-18-2009, 12:46 AM

Just wondering if there are any differences in the way they pull/ handle.

Is getting a TWIC card at all like getting the hazmat endorsement?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 AM

If you don't live near an actual port, you won't need a TWIC card. If you're in WI, you'll probably just be pulling stuff from the rail yards and returning them back, or back to the depots of that particular steam ship line.

And as far as not loading/unloading goes, there are plenty of both. I've never, in 6 years of intermodal went to a customer and they lifted the box. Alot is drop and hook, and alot of it is home every night. I'm on a dedicated run from St Louis, MO to Jefferson City, MO. I do that twice a day, then call it a day. 550 paid miles daily, and I sleep in my bed. Actually I get 70% of the load because I'm an O/O, but you get the point.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreer78 View Post
If you don't live near an actual port, you won't need a TWIC card. If you're in WI, you'll probably just be pulling stuff from the rail yards and returning them back, or back to the depots of that particular steam ship line.

And as far as not loading/unloading goes, there are plenty of both. I've never, in 6 years of intermodal went to a customer and they lifted the box. Alot is drop and hook, and alot of it is home every night. I'm on a dedicated run from St Louis, MO to Jefferson City, MO. I do that twice a day, then call it a day. 550 paid miles daily, and I sleep in my bed. Actually I get 70% of the load because I'm an O/O, but you get the point.
I hauled containers for 3 years and never had one unloaded, they always took it off. guess it depends on who you haul for. you need a twic card to get in the ports, I dont think he will start out with a dedicated run.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I did it all in my 4 years. Live load, live unload, drop/hook. Went to the ports(suck) and rail yards(suck less). Basically all chassis are pos and pull on an angle.

There are what are called high cube boxes which are 13'6 high and standard size boxes which are about a foot less in height. The dollies are gennerally really hard to roll up/down and most all the wiring is repaired already and shoddy at best.

The doors are hard to open and even harder to close, and usually never have a latch to attach to the box.There is really no difference going down the road except most containers are 96" wide and easier to see down the side of the trailer.

I enjoyed my time doing it and if the economy in Miichigan hadn't tanked I might still be doing it, being home more has it's plusses. Most runs are daily or 2-3 days at most. Most all container companies are gonna ask you do get a TWIC, not hard $132 if you don't have hazmat finger printing yet, $5o less if you do I think

Last edited by mike3fan; 08-18-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Rookie

They pull the same I hauled out of New Orleans LA, Gulfport MS, Garden City, GA. The went to Bowling green, KY I loved it some times finding a chassis can be a B*(&*^. But 85% of the time when I went to the ports I just used the same chassis they took the loaded container off that's going on the ship and they put a load container they just got of the boat on chassis. Gulfport was the exception ever thing was drop and hook could get in and out in less then 20 min if chassis did not need tires. a lot of the chassis use 10.00.20 tires they suck they are tube tires. If its hot out and you don't check tire psi, they tend to go boom.
plus its nice they are only 20' to 45' if you haul sea containers. I loved it i was home every other night and off on the weekends and did 2700 to 3200 a week. But we lost the contract so i am over the road again not sure how long being home on weekends spoiled me.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Board Regular

I pulled containers for about a year and a half and pretty much they are all junk. Crappy oriental tube tires that always blow/peel, taillight missing/don't work, doors that require three people to open/shut, missing important parts like the dolly crank handle/brake shoes, etc. you get the picture. Actually not a bad job if you get paid by the hour, just drive for alittle bit and sit A LOT. I was local though, not sure how OTR type positions would be.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 PM

With all your replies and experiences it has steered me off this path. Plus the other side of it was that JB Hunt was the company.

Guess I'll go ask my question about current Crete drivers and their experiece/ opinions of their company.

Thanks to all that replied.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:34 AM

I wouldn't really call JB Hunt Intermodal intermodal. It's basically picking up their freight in their containers and taking them to the rail yards. Hardly what "real" intermodal is like.