User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
I don't intent on using my money and run the toll roads. I do want to know the cost being running US30 vs. the Toll Road. Still looking for information about if the road/fuel taxes are offset by the toll charge.

I have been thinking what I get paid by going either way. Since I make hub mileage it works out as follows:

384 miles Lake Station, IN to I76/I80 Jct, Ohio by way of IN49/US30/I71/I76 X 36cpm = $138.24

355 miles Lake Station, IN to I76/I80 Jct, Ohio by way of Toll Road X 36cpm = $127.80

Why don't I just be happy with running the extra miles and get more money since I get hub mileage? Because I believe in being cost effective(eg. keep idle time and OOR miles down, take care of the truck/tarps/load, etc.).

Someone here suggested that I pay the toll out of my pocket(and take the tax deduction). If so and I was Class 8 then it would be $59.25(Sorry, I don't have EZ-Pass). So I would make make $68.55(127.80 - 59.25) which is a difference of $69.69.

What does that work out per hour? For argument sake, the Toll Road take 5.75 hours(62mph; you got to slowdown for the toll plazas) and US30 is 7 hours(I just did it the other day).

$138.24 / 7 hours = $19.75 per hour(US30)

$127.80 / 5.75 hours = $22.23 per hour (Toll Road driver DOES NOT paid toll charges)

$68.55 / 5.75 hours = $11.92 per hour (Toll Road driver DOES paid toll charges)

What does it cost my company in fuel, wages, and toll charges between the two? Let's figure the fuel mileage is same(I don't think it is but I don't have data to state it isn't) at 6mpg and fuel is $2.50 per gal.

US30 - (384 miles / 6mpg) X $2.50 = $160.00
$138.24(wages) + $160.00(fuel) = $298.24

Toll Road - (355 miles / 6mpg) X $2.50 = $147.92
$127.80(wages) + $147.92(fuel) + $59.25(toll) = $334.97

Difference - $334.97 - $298.24 = $36.73

If fuel prices go up(and all indications they are) and fuel mileage is less on the back roads, then the difference is less. What happens if fuel goes to $5.00 per gal and fuel mileage drops by a half mpg on the back roads:

US30 - (384 miles / 5.5mpg) X $5.00 = $349.09
$138.24(wages) + $349.09(fuel) = $487.33

Toll Road - (355 miles / 6mpg) X $5.00 = $295.83
$127.80(wages) + $295.83(fuel) + $59.25(toll) = $482.88

Difference - $482.88 - $487.33 = -$4.45

Those are objective facts. Whether LEO enforces(or harasses) the law on the back roads, increased accident rates, or the local people don't like the big trucks(What about the owners and employees in the truckstops?) are subjective.

Does anyone know if road/fuel taxes for Indiana/Ohio are different for the miles run on toll roads?
if you have all the numbers figured out, why are you asking for advice??????
Old 06-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
if you have all the numbers figured out, why are you asking for advice??????
I am not looking for advice. I am looking for information to support my argument that it is cost effective to run the Toll Road. If I have facts in hand when I talked to the company owner, then perhaps I can come to some agreement. If I go in saying "There are free showers on the Ohio Travel Plazas" or "28 stoplights are annoying", I will get booted out of the his office.

I guess the only information I need is road/fuel tax difference, if any, between the backroads and the Toll Road. Should I move this thread to the "Owner Operator Forums"?

Thanks

Last edited by danske; 06-21-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Grammar and Additional Info
Old 06-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Senior Board Member

In NY you can turn in the toll reciepts and get an adjustment on the fuel tax from the miles running the toll road, but last I knew they were the only ones to do that, Ohio and IN don't so you basically pay a tax twice once for the toll and again on the miles traveled on their road.

Now this is the way I understand it and it may not even be this way anymore, but I don't have to pay my fuel taxes so maybe someone else could give you a definte answer.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:40 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
In NY you can turn in the toll reciepts and get an adjustment on the fuel tax from the miles running the toll road, but last I knew they were the only ones to do that, Ohio and IN don't so you basically pay a tax twice once for the toll and again on the miles traveled on their road.

Now this is the way I understand it and it may not even be this way anymore, but I don't have to pay my fuel taxes so maybe someone else could give you a definte answer.
Thanks for the reply. BTW, my company would rather we run the Southern Tier Expressway than the NY Thruway. Personally, it is not as bad as Indiana US30 except down by Elmira, NY.

Guess, I am not doing a very good job recruiting for my company! :-( :-D
Old 06-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Senior Board Member

I hate US30 so I avoid it like the plauge, if I chose to not pay the tolls I would run US20 to Toledo and then run US2 over to 90,480,14,then 76/80.

19 out of 20 times I pay the tolls.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
I didn't know about the free showers, so thanks for that information. And Yes, Ohio turnpike does have great travel plazas.
Used to have to bring your own towel but now you can buy them from the plaza. Not sure how much they cost cause I'm local now but I seen the sign out front by the driver's lounge the other day. They also got rid of the video poker machines there's just televisions in there now.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Rookie

Personally I will always run the toll road across indiana and ohio if im heading up to the northeast I have ran 30 to 71 to 76 before and it takes like 3 and a half hours longer
Old 07-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Rookie

Why are you running 30? 30 drops so far down in Ohio, I dont see where you save, at Upper sandusky your only 35 miles or so from Columbus, and then to work your way back up 71 to 76.

Indiana to me just isnt worth going around. However Ohio, I run 20 if I want to go around. Ateast your not going the wrong direction. Look at what 30 does east of fort wayne, goes south, 20 put s you closer in the direction of Youngstown, the 18 to 77, to 76, etc.

Why not see if they will cover Indiana? Then at your 1st exit in OH(no toll) run 49s to Rt 6, and 6 east to rt 20. 2 lane to Rt 20, but not bad, few stop lights, and youll keep a steady 55-60.

PA turnpike I understand, its expensive real expensive, but if your gonna run all over the country to save the company $5 bucks then you are just what they want a tool to save them money by f-in yourself.

BTW I dont see how you get 68.55 for a toll. Indiana is 21 bucks for 5 axles and Ohio gate to Youngstown i-80(exit 218) is 30.50 I get 51.50 for roughly 374 miles. Indiana is by axle count, and Ohio rate is for up to 90k. If you must avoid toll, 20 is a much better choice than 30, IMO

Last edited by steelhauler; 07-18-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler View Post
Why are you running 30? 30 drops so far down in Ohio, I dont see where you save, at Upper sandusky your only 35 miles or so from Columbus, and then to work your way back up 71 to 76.
I stated in my OP that the route I take adds 29 miles. I am aware that there are multiple ways to go if not the Toll Road, but I find this one the least painful. I do get paid hub mileage, so I good there it just that I have to work harder and longer.

Quote:
Indiana to me just isnt worth going around. However Ohio, I run 20 if I want to go around. Ateast your not going the wrong direction. Look at what 30 does east of fort wayne, goes south, 20 put s you closer in the direction of Youngstown, the 18 to 77, to 76, etc.
The hardest part of US30 is Indiana with all its lights. Once in Ohio, US30 has no lights to I71. The way you suggest has many lights from the Indiana line to Seville, OH(US20/US250/US224).

Quote:
Why not see if they will cover Indiana? Then at your 1st exit in OH(no toll) run 49s to Rt 6, and 6 east to rt 20. 2 lane to Rt 20, but not bad, few stop lights, and youll keep a steady 55-60.
The answer is no to cover Indiana Toll until I could present an argument that it makes financial sense. So, running US20 in Indiana is a problem especially around Shipshewana as there are many Amish carriages and 2 90 degrees bend(In the winter it gets very icy right there).

Quote:
PA turnpike I understand, its expensive real expensive, but if your gonna run all over the country to save the company $5 bucks then you are just what they want a tool to save them money by f-in yourself.
Yes, I am a Tool for making my company money; That is why they hired me. I am trying to collect information to understand how this is cost effective to NOT run the Toll Road. What facts I do have is that as the cost of fuel goes up, then NOT running the Toll Road is less of a savings(if at all).

No job is perfect, but overall my company is okay. I do get paid hub mileage, run coast to coast, paid a premium for OD/HM loads, and bonuses for LTL freight. I do know of several drivers with my company who have refused loads because it runs to the Northeast or Canada. I have been giving their loads and they have sat in the yard for several days. Plus, once I delivered to NE/Canada, I was setup with another load back to the NW. My weekly average mileage is very good(And yes I don't get home much :-( )

One thing I won't do is pay for the toll out of my pocket. Yes, I could write it off a personal business expense, but that only means Uncle Sam picks up ~25%. Plus, if I paid it then there would be no incentive for my company to change it policy or even pay the toll on a case by case situation.

Quote:
BTW I dont see how you get 68.55 for a toll. Indiana is 21 bucks for 5 axles and Ohio gate to Youngstown i-80(exit 218) is 30.50 I get 51.50 for roughly 374 miles. Indiana is by axle count, and Ohio rate is for up to 90k. If you must avoid toll, 20 is a much better choice than 30, IMO
My calculation includes the toll plus the 29 miles less in mileage pay. If I paid the toll out of my pocket the difference between running the Toll Road and running US30 is $68.55.

We can disagree on the non Toll route, as there multiple ways and each has it (dis)advantage.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:00 PM
Rookie
Default which state is better to buy ez-pass through

is there a better state to run your ez-pass account through ?