User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider Wal-Mart Dedicated

Been at this job for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd share a little about it.

It's running Groceries from the Henderson, NC Wal-Mart RDC in NC, Southern VA and one run to Johnson City, TN. Mostly night driving and 5 on/ 2 off with 48hrs off and that I'd be home 3-4 days a week min.

How is it working? Well, in 3 weeks I have been out overnight (or overday) once and that was because I couldnt find 2 of the Wal-Marts and got stuck 50miles from the yard when my hours were up. 48 hours home means just that. When I come in I put my ready or slot time 48hrs out and thats that. The downside of this is if I get home 2000 on Monday then I have a ready time of 2000 on Wed. Positive is if I get home Tues am then I'm off till Thurs am with a good chance of not going out till Thurs evening.

All trucks are slip-seated but this isnt proving to be a problem because all the guys are pretty clean and we are not spending the night in the truck anyways. They could run this with day-cabs and do alright.

They tend to use up your clock pretty much. I'm not back much before 12hrs everyday.

They also will call on your days off if they have the freight and need it covered but it isnt required that you work. They are asking for volunteers and its a chance to get an extra days pay if you want it. I did one last week that took about 5 hrs and made $100. $20/hr pretty good money in my book.

Pay: Was told it would average around $45,000/yr. I'm grossing $900/wk so its going to be a little more with the bonuses added in.

This week is going to be very heavy freight because of the holiday coming up and they are asking for volunteers to work on their days off. This will happen on a regular basis before holidays. They are going to pay extra for this. Work on your day off and you get the regular pay + $100. No pressure, just volunteer and if you don't want to work a full day then you can just do a local run which pays around $100 and takes 3-4 hrs. they are ok with that as all the freight needs to move anyways.

All in all this is working out just like I was told that it would. Pretty refreshing to have a company tell you what the job will be and that is exactly what it is. Sure not like JB Hunt which lied from the start.

The only downside is the night driving. I'm getting used to it but I feel like a vampire.

This is a good job so far and I'm lucky I got in.

Last edited by jonp; 05-18-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Thumbs up

You deserved a break Jon. Glad to hear that it is working out so well.

I would have been gun-shy also if I'd have lived your JB Hunt experience.

:thumbsup:

Old 05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Rookie

I have a years experience with PAM. Do you think Scheider would let me run dedicated anywhere? I live in Michigan so maybe they have a dedicated nearby like Greenbay?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 AM

Good to hear things are working out for you at Schneider, they were a pretty good outfit to run for. I really liked my time with the Pumpkin. Some of the guys that i went to the STA with got dedicated runs right out of school, most were on the West Coast. I ran a dedicated gig with my TE and decided then it would not be for me. We usually started at 2:00 am and almost always headed for L.A. for an early a.m. delivery. Lots of hand unloads, lots of tires, until you unload a 53' trailer full of tires, you have no idea how much that trailer can hold it seemed never ending.
I could have got a dedicated run but realized because of the logistics, I would be away from home as much as OTR. And driving in LA everyday is not my idea of fun, it is only rivaled by Jersey City, Chicago, NYC, and just about every other eastern seaboard city.
Schneider will treat you well if you have a good DBL and are willing to work hard.A lot of people complain about them, but I think for a big outfit they are by far the best to work for. Some of the fringe bebefits are gone, I heard no more free boots, is that true? The OC's are usually clean and comfortable, given a choice I would stay at an OC rather than a T/S, with the exception of Dallas, had a driver shot there last year or the year beforre. Schneider is so big I rarely stopped somewhere that i did not run into another orange truck, Almost every SNI driver will give you a big wave when you cross paths on the interstate, many orange trucks on the I40 and I80, there is a comraderie amongst SNI drivers. I also noticed that many Swifties will wave or stop and shoot the bull with you at a T/S. Probably because many of them are newer drivers like I was.
Sorry did not mean to hijack your thread, got caught up reminiscing. You'll like SNI, they will treat you pretty good if you log legal, pick up and deliver on time, don't call about every little problem. They like responsible people who can use some sense and problem solve. 2nd and 3rd shift is a different story, but with the right attitude, they will also be as helpful as they can. I never had the problems that others seemed to have, its amazing how far a little politeness and common courtesy can get you.
Good Luck, sounds like you are off on the right foot.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Board Member

good for you Jon P.. like i told you in PM's, this a good account and it would probably be a GREAT account if Schneider Treated like it should and Wal-Mart didn't F up so much stuff (like routing) i have my reasons for leaving this company/account but if it's working for you then good luck bud and stay safe!!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
Schneider will treat you well if you have a good DBL and are willing to work hard.

What's a DBL?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Driver Business Leader... Bascially Just Your Main Dispatcher...
Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the positive wishes, guys. The boot program is alive and well. I got a new pair of Rockys with steel toes on my last day of orientation to ride my Softtail with.

After the less than positive experiance with JB I'm kinda waiting for the shoe to drop. We will see.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Driver Business Leader... Bascially Just Your Main Dispatcher...
Thanks, Hawk!

Did you have a reconcilliation with yourself? Still driving?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Senior Board Member

who in there right mind would shut down not even an hour from the yard?