User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It's been nuts but I don't regret going with them. I was out of work and unemployed benefit was running out and Michigan was leading the charge over the cliff in the economy so no good local jobs. Got setup with C1 Driver Solutions in Fort Wayne, IN just over a year ago. Practiced backing up the trucks in the cones and tried to figure out the double clutching. Somehow I got through it all. I passed my state test on the 3rd try.

After that I took a week off and then a trainer with PAM took me out on the road for a month. That is where you get most of your real training. Also if you don't know PAM's fleet is all auto shifters so no stick.

Got through all that and was tested again in orientation at their headquarters and signed more piles of paperwork. Finally I get assigned a truck someone had abandoned in Flint, MI so I catch a ride with another driver up there. It was in decent shape and fortunately not trashed or anything. It was one of PAM's last Volvos. I really like it and so far I still think it's been my favorite truck. It was high in miles though so 2 months later i had to turn it in to retire it and was disappointed to pick up one of those International 9400 things. I mean the thing is okay I guess to drive but not much for living space. It's a total utility vehicle with a frustrating lack of storage.

Managed to keep driving that until to many starter problems so I got switched into a Freightliner which I like almost as much as that Volvo.

I'm getting a little tired of this gig though and am looking to move on. For some reason either the company or dispatchers don't explain things very well and I'm getting frustrated with my dispatcher. I feel like any time I ask my dispatcher questions I get contradictory answers.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Board Regular

"Also if you don't know PAM's fleet is all auto shifters so no stick."

Never forget how to drive a stick, you never know when it comes in handy. Fortunately, I think it's like riding a bike, you never forget. My latest truck is a 13 speed, so it's neat to know that I can drive that if ever I really need to.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodrome View Post
I finally finished my year with PAM. It's been a weird time to be a trucker noobie with the rollercoaster economy we have.
If you don't mind my asking, what was your year like with hometime and salary? USA Truck says 25 or 26CPM I think. Even if you can get 100K miles per year that is still only 25000 dollars. While that may be good for some people it is terrible for me. Especially when you figure in the hardships of being away from home and all that. Not to mention the expenses of being on the road.

Anyone else that knows this can answer also, what can a trucker expect to make starting out? 25K seems very low. I know the training schools all say 38+ first year and over 50 in a few years, but I know that is all just a selling point for them.

I am thinking about changing careers, so I am not a newbie in life and cannot take that kind of salary and still live.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Here's a little word of advice to you-- DON"T DRIVE A TRUCK. Sure, the school says you can knock down 38000 your first year, but its a load of bull more than likely. With the way the economy and freight is right now, you'll be lucky to got 100,000 miles your first year. I'll be lucky to knock down 100,000 miles this year myself, and I've been out here 4 years, but I make a little more than 25 cent a mile, so its a little easier.

Here's some other over-looked facts about driving a truck:

How do you like your back? You probably don't think about it much now, but get to driving 8-9-10 hours a day, and all you'll think about is your back because it hurts. Sitting for that long in a truck is not good on your body. No truck has a good enough seat or suspension to protect your joints. Before long your back will hurt, your neck, your knees will get weak from not using them. Also, your hands will get to hurting being wrapped around a steering wheel all day. Many of these things won't show right away, but years and years from now (maybe even after you're retired) you'll find out about the long term effects of driving a truck on your skeletal system.

Thats just the bones. Then you have your muscles. Sure, we all think we're going to exercise when we're on the road, but very, very few actually do. Your body will get weak from sitting all the time. And when your not sitting, your laying in the bunk.

Don't even get me started on the food. The price alone can kill you on the road. Most fast food anymore want $6-7 for a simple value meal with sandwich, fries, and a medium drink. Multiply that by twice a day, everyday. PLUS-- add what it will cost you in the future to eat a greasy cheeseburger (or nasty chicken which isn't much better the way they cook it) french fries and a soft drink.

Bottom line for me: I'm glad there are people out there who can run OTR and be happy about it. I am not one of these people. I have a wife, two small children (2 1/2 and 3 months) and things to do at the house. I used to have hobbies. I used to hunt and fish and go bowling once in a while. Not anymore. No time. I'm trying to find something else so I can go back to college, but times are tough right now. Its hard to find anything.

If you have a family and hobbies and things to do at home, do something else. Sure, some guys have great driving jobs being home a lot and making lots of money, but those are years away if your just now starting. Plus, a lot of those great jobs are getting cut right now. Auto loads are getting cut left and right. USPS is talking about cutting down on mail delivery. What will that do to mail haulers? You're better off to find something, anything closer to home.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulRacer View Post
Anyone else that knows this can answer also, what can a trucker expect to make starting out? 25K seems very low. I know the training schools all say 38+ first year and over 50 in a few years,but I know that is all just a selling point for them.
Heh heh...........Sucks huh? You'd think that belpre122 was spouting a whole load of **** your way. Even the dyed-in-the-wool OTR apologists on here are hesitant to question the numbers. Rightly so......................

That's just the way it is SR. Sad............but true.

The days of becoming a truck driver and entering 'middle class America' are long long gone. Deregulation solved that.

Truck driving used to be a respected occupation. No more. Quite the contrary in fact. Basically, mobile hobos traversing the country while not earning enough income to even sustain their own road expenses, much less a family.

Sad? You betcha! Kind of like listening to Neil Young all day.

You're doing the right thing SR. Keep asking those questions! Let's see who will be the first to challenge my guidance to you........................

Old 05-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulRacer View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what was your year like with hometime and salary? USA Truck says 25 or 26CPM I think. Even if you can get 100K miles per year that is still only 25000 dollars. While that may be good for some people it is terrible for me. Especially when you figure in the hardships of being away from home and all that. Not to mention the expenses of being on the road.

Anyone else that knows this can answer also, what can a trucker expect to make starting out? 25K seems very low. I know the training schools all say 38+ first year and over 50 in a few years, but I know that is all just a selling point for them.

I am thinking about changing careers, so I am not a newbie in life and cannot take that kind of salary and still live.
I started out at .28 cents per mile but I've heard the pay for beginners has been cut.

As for what it's been like? Well I can't give you figures for earnings that are meaningful because sometimes I'll run hard and sometimes sit or get stuck in their shops. I will say that I've made progress in my personal financial recovery at least. I've knocked down my debt and should pay off my last credit card if things go well.

I will also mention something I heard from someone else who went to my school though. Supposedly of the 20 or so people who were in my class only 4 including me are still doing their job. Everyone else has quit.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Well I can't give you figures for earnings that are meaningful because sometimes I'll run hard and sometimes sit or get stuck in their shops.

Sure you can! Running hard and then getting stuck in shops (for free) is trucking! "That's part of the job." (well, according to some people:rofl

You manned up and completed your contract. Good for you! I wasn't surprised to see the 4 out of 20 figure though. That just reaffirms my theory that C-1 is as much, if not more in to the debt collection business as they are driver training/placement.

I think what soulracer was looking for, if you are willing to share, is a solid dollar amount that you earned during your first year with PAM?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
Here's a little word of advice to you-- DON"T DRIVE A TRUCK. Sure, the school says you can knock down 38000 your first year, but its a load of bull more than likely. With the way the economy and freight is right now, you'll be lucky to got 100,000 miles your first year. I'll be lucky to knock down 100,000 miles this year myself, and I've been out here 4 years, but I make a little more than 25 cent a mile, so its a little easier.

Here's some other over-looked facts about driving a truck:

How do you like your back? You probably don't think about it much now, but get to driving 8-9-10 hours a day, and all you'll think about is your back because it hurts. Sitting for that long in a truck is not good on your body. No truck has a good enough seat or suspension to protect your joints. Before long your back will hurt, your neck, your knees will get weak from not using them. Also, your hands will get to hurting being wrapped around a steering wheel all day. Many of these things won't show right away, but years and years from now (maybe even after you're retired) you'll find out about the long term effects of driving a truck on your skeletal system.

Thats just the bones. Then you have your muscles. Sure, we all think we're going to exercise when we're on the road, but very, very few actually do. Your body will get weak from sitting all the time. And when your not sitting, your laying in the bunk.

Don't even get me started on the food. The price alone can kill you on the road. Most fast food anymore want $6-7 for a simple value meal with sandwich, fries, and a medium drink. Multiply that by twice a day, everyday. PLUS-- add what it will cost you in the future to eat a greasy cheeseburger (or nasty chicken which isn't much better the way they cook it) french fries and a soft drink.

Bottom line for me: I'm glad there are people out there who can run OTR and be happy about it. I am not one of these people. I have a wife, two small children (2 1/2 and 3 months) and things to do at the house. I used to have hobbies. I used to hunt and fish and go bowling once in a while. Not anymore. No time. I'm trying to find something else so I can go back to college, but times are tough right now. Its hard to find anything.

If you have a family and hobbies and things to do at home, do something else. Sure, some guys have great driving jobs being home a lot and making lots of money, but those are years away if your just now starting. Plus, a lot of those great jobs are getting cut right now. Auto loads are getting cut left and right. USPS is talking about cutting down on mail delivery. What will that do to mail haulers? You're better off to find something, anything closer to home.

Very well written and informative. You are certainly spot-on with the health issues.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
I will also mention something I heard from someone else who went to my school though. Supposedly of the 20 or so people who were in my class only 4 including me are still doing their job. Everyone else has quit.

Yeah, I gave that a bit of thought, and here is how I see it:

Let's roll with some of my rudimentary/cave man style mathematical logic for a moment and see what we come up with..............

Ok, 20 students started, 4 finished = 20% success rate from this random sampling of your C-1 class. Meaning that 16 did not complete the one year of servitude to PAM Transport. Follow me here.....................

16 failed students @ (approx) $6000.00 per student = $96,000 that became immediately due from these (students). That figure represents just one class! Imagine how many sessions that a joint like C-1 cranks out annually. Even to the most casual observer, it becomes obvious that this is clearly a debt (producing) collection agency with a side interest in truck driver training.

What does C-1 have invested? Not a whole lot really. Instruction time, some books and wheel time. $6000.00 due! That's a pretty steep price to pay for being indentured to a company for a year, and being compensated at less than the national minimum wage.

An 80% failure rate! (from our random sampling) What type of credible training boasts 80% attrition/failure in the first year with an (approx) $6000.00 penalty if things don't work out. 80% failure. Think about that.

That's coolie carrier trucking for ya. Start 'em out by ripping them off, and then kick 'em in the ass on their way out.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Rookie

I know all about the physical aspects of driving a truck. My dad drove for 30+ years...he also drove a local truck and I doubt it was anywhere near as nice as most trucks on the road today. It took its toll on his back and wrists to say the least. Good thing for him though is that he was home every day..8-10 hours tops.
I am willing to endure the possible pain, and the loss of hobbies, etc. All of my kids are older, 2 graduating high school in a week. The home time would be good, but not a necessity per se.
I don't care about hanging out with coworkers and friends, I'd rather be alone most of the time anyway..and I have always liked driving. If we go on long trips, etc. I am always the one to drive..everyone else sleeps while I drive between 4-10 hours per day. Nothing to me really.
The part I have a problem with is this - I am trading what I have for 25K.? I am not 21 years old any more..I need some financial security. You'd think with all you give up that you be handsomely compensated..AND, that 25 is only if you happen to hit 100,000 miles, which seems like a crap shoot from what I am hearing. 25 is poverty level, and it is not even a guarantee!! AND, after uncle sam gets his, plus the school takes out another 45 per week, you are lucky to bank 1200 bucks BEFORE expenses. I can live fairly cheap, but not that cheap. So, I end up with maybe 900/ month for my home expenses/bills. That is less than I am getting from unemployment currently. So, I take a harder job, with less benefits, and put strain on my family just so I can make less than I do sitting here at home doing nothing. The only thing I get out of it is the experience and the ability to say I actually have a job. That is it. BUT, I do want a job..and I don't care that I have to take a pay cut from my previous job, but I cannot take that big a cut with the possibility to ruining my life/marriage. The benefits do not out weigh the costs. Not for 25K. If it were high 30s I'd think about it.