User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've heard end dumps are more risky to turn over especially if load sticks in front of trailer
They will roll over. Hoppers got to have a pit to unload over my thought has been end dump
But idk ...
Hopper seems the safer bet but like u said if it can go in a hopper it can go in a dump
Old 01-01-2009, 02:40 AM

kentucky24

Just out of curiosity, why have you dismissed the pneumatics? The freight generally pays well and you don't usually have to wait to load or unload.

I pulled them for a company in Brandon SD for a couple of years back in about 1999 and always made at least 1000.00 per week and had one week on a special haul from Houston to Virginia Minnesota that paid me over 1500 and only took 5 days. I was home every 10 days and was NEVER asked or allowed to run without hours. The only thing I didn't like about them was the frequent washouts but it wasn't that bad.

Gun Control isn't about guns, It's about Control.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 AM

I was told on pneumatics that it was a hassle with blowing frieght in and out to load and unload
Was also told that you had to have pressure settings in top set just right which doesn't scare me they just acked as if it were a huge hassle they did say you can do things like sugar flour etc with them also which did seem as a plus

But to answer your question I don't guess I have completely dismissed them just baising the other two options best from here say
I am glad you have given some positive input on that division
Please tell us more about them if you will I really do not know much about any of this bulk stuff I pulled a dry box for 10 years and have thought about the switch for the last few months reasons are mainly home time and the company terminal is just 9 miles away so. I have flirted with this a while now and just went in to talk to them Tuesday I was impressed

Talked to a few of their drivers I saw on the yard they all seemed happy also

On pneumatics I was also told freight avaloabilty is lower also but I don't know I base this off hear say

Please give insight

Thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 04:49 AM

I am also going to get my TWIC card which should open things up for me at the ports for freight also I have my HAZMAT and cleared for GOV freight also I figure with getting my passport for Canada I should be able to touch a broad specturium of freight oppertunites

Does any one got any insite or have any information on the TWIC which from what I have been told will be a plus to have cause by end 2009 even inland river ports will require this card for access

Thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 01:39 PM

kentucky24 said - "Please tell us more about them"

I never did any food products though the company I worked for did a lot of that. They did commodities like Corn Meal, Flour, Whey, and powdered eggs just to mention a few. The products I hauled were Bentonite which is powered clay, Catalist to refineries, Salt for animal feed, Coal Dust/Sand mix used at foundries, Powered Lime and things of that nature. The food products require a wash out between every load where the non-food sometimes I could go 3 or 4 loads before washing the trailer out.

I have to say that I did a fair amount of deadhead but the loads paid enough to compensate easily. I had one load of caol dust that went from Minneapolis to a foundry in about the center of Michigan and then had to deadhead to a small town just north of Milwaukee for a load of lime dust that went back to Minneapolis. I was out for three days and had to get the trailer washed out but the truck made $2700.00 so I made just over 700 in three days. At first I was going to refuse the load to Michigan until they told me what it paid. They said they new there would be nothing coming out of Michigan so they charge a rate that allows for a 400-500 mile deadhead.

As far as blowing off the loads, It only takes 30 to 90 minutes and I rarely had to wait to unload. The 30 to 90 minutes is dependent on how high you have to lift the product (how tall the silo is) and the size of the blower you have and the size of the off load hose an tube. The pressures are important but only about 15-17 PSI. The pressure only pushes the product from the tank to the tube on the bottom of the trailer but it's the volume of air that you move that determines how long it will take. If you've got a 5" hose and offload tube and the larger blower (I think its 14") and don't have to go higher then about 100 feet you can offload in about 20 minutes once you get used to it. You need to monitor the pressure while you unload but once your used to it you just learn where to set the valves and things go very smooth. Everything I did was loaded from the top and only takes 5-10 minutes. Some trailers have a unit on the back to be able to load itself but I have never done that.

I hope this was helpful.

Gun Control isn't about guns, It's about Control.

Last edited by Shnerdly; 01-01-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky24 View Post
I am also going to get my TWIC card which should open things up for me at the ports for freight also I have my HAZMAT and cleared for GOV freight also I figure with getting my passport for Canada I should be able to touch a broad specturium of freight oppertunites

Does any one got any insite or have any information on the TWIC which from what I have been told will be a plus to have cause by end 2009 even inland river ports will require this card for access

Thanks
go to this site https://twicprogram.tsa.dhs.gov/TWICWebApp/Privacy.do

pre enroll then schedule an appointment to go get fingerprints done,then they will call you to come back and pick up your card. takes about 3-4 weeks total from enrollment to when you have your card. $132.50 or less if you have hazmat fingerprints done already. any place that has water access will require a TWIC.