User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2cd Week at JB Hunt

Monday morning I ran the shuttle over to Nissan and live unloaded. I was the only truck at the giant warehouse and it took about 1/2 hr to unload. Not a good sign for the economy if there is only one truck at a warehouse with about 100 doors. I ran back to the yard, dropped and hooked for my load to Lafayette, LA and took off. 1 Shuttle and 429 miles

Tues: Delivered the load by about 0800 and went to the truck stop. Sat until 1130 and was dispatched to pick-up a trailer that was ready at 0700 for a run to Ft. Smith, AR. Went to get it and when I got onto I-10 promptly came to a stop. An accident shut down the road for about 2 hours. Someone lost control in the rain. Got to the customer and went to drop my trailer and boy was it tight. I've backed into some tight places in New England but this place took 2 tries and over an hour to drop and hook. Yuck. By the way, on my messed up first attempt instead of continueing to try and shoe-horn the trailer into the hole, I pulled out, took a deep breath and went around the parking lot for fresh shot at it. Came around the corner and was stopped by a Schneider trieing to back in. I got out and spent 20 min giving him a hand then went to give it another shot. The Schneider guy came around and when he had enough room instead of helping me out he went on by and left. Thanks alot buddy. Ran up through MS and LA into AR missing a tornado. 70 mt and 492 loaded.

Wed: Got to the customer at 1230 when everyone was at lunch. The place had no dock and they were going to unload me in the street. I went in and told the guy that i was going to walk over to a short-stop and get a cup of coffee and would be right back. Got a little side-tracked by the gun shop next door and when I got back they had me half done. Got sent a pre-plan that loaded the next day at 1000am about 1 mile from there. So when I was done at 130pm I ran over just in case. No dice. After shooting the bull with the shipping guy he told me to drop my trailer and they would load it for me that night and give him a call the next morning at 0800. No real miles today. Bob tailed to the truckstop and sat it out.

Thur: Called at 0800 and the load was ready. Ran over and got it. It was going to Norcross, GA for Friday Morning. 671 miles

Fri: Delivered at 1100. Turned out to be a drop and hook. Waited for an hour and was sent to Coke to load for Rocky Mt, NC. Load up and take it home for the weekend and deliver it Monday at 0700. Went to Coke and sat for 3 hours in a door. Free fountain Coke in the Break Room and a flat-panel tv that plays Law and Order non-stop! Not too bad but I spent so much time there that I couldnt make it home so spent the night in a truck-stop and got home about 0930 Sat Morn.

Total Miles for the week: 2141.

I still have not gotten my scale re-imbursements for the previous week. I also didnt get paid for the shuttle I did on monday because my boss didnt enter it into the computer and because it didnt have any miles attached to it I wont get paid anything until he does.
I should mention short-haul pay. For every load under 300 miles we are supposed to get short-haul. this is done on a sliding scale. 1 - 75 miles = $45 down to 225 - 300 = $15. Helps to even out the short loads a little. Problem is i didnt get paid any short-haul miles for any of my loads yet. Need to find out why. I cant continue to do 100 - 200 mile all day loads at .34 per mile and make a living. If I dont get my money for these loads I'll start refusing them.

I have looked into local jobs and Wal-Mart, Tank Jobs hauling gas etc but no-one is hiring. I've been driving for 16 years and have over 1.5 million safe, accident and ticket free miles with Tank, Doubles/Triples, Haz-Mat endorsements and a TWIC Card. I've run Vans, Doubles, Flats and double-flats and reefers. I'm still having a hard time finding anything else and am working harder and making less than I have in years. Oh Well
Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Board Regular

I'm with you man.That's how's been at swift for me too and left them after a month OTR.I hoped to do a lot of miles since i was going to get married in like 2 months but that didn't happen(the miles).Thankfully i had some money saved up and didn't have any huge bills.But i know how frustrating it is,that you do your best to make some money and it's not happening.I hope things turn out better for you.BOL
Old 12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
BANNED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Tues: Delivered the load by about 0800 and went to the truck stop. Sat until 1130 and was dispatched to pick-up a trailer that was ready at 0700 for a run to Ft. Smith, AR. Went to get it and when I got onto I-10 promptly came to a stop. An accident shut down the road for about 2 hours. Someone lost control in the rain. Got to the customer and went to drop my trailer and boy was it tight. I've backed into some tight places in New England but this place took 2 tries and over an hour to drop and hook. Yuck. By the way, on my messed up first attempt instead of continueing to try and shoe-horn the trailer into the hole, I pulled out, took a deep breath and went around the parking lot for fresh shot at it. Came around the corner and was stopped by a Schneider trieing to back in. I got out and spent 20 min giving him a hand then went to give it another shot. The Schneider guy came around and when he had enough room instead of helping me out he went on by and left. Thanks alot buddy. Ran up through MS and LA into AR missing a tornado. 70 mt and 492 loaded.
3.5 hours waiting for a load at the truckstop.
2 hours stuck in traffic.
1 hour to drop and hook.
20 minutes helping the Pumpkin guy back in.

So that's about 7 hours of unpaid work you put in. Bet you toplined all that time too. Most people work 8 hours and get paid for 8 hours. And then go home.

Now you know why these trucking companies can't find drivers.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
Now you know why these trucking companies can't find drivers.
now if we could only figure out why you continue to come here........

Old 12-24-2008, 02:30 AM
BANNED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I still have not gotten my scale re-imbursements for the previous week. I also didnt get paid for the shuttle I did on monday because my boss didnt enter it into the computer and because it didnt have any miles attached to it I wont get paid anything until he does.

I should mention short-haul pay. For every load under 300 miles we are supposed to get short-haul. this is done on a sliding scale. 1 - 75 miles = $45 down to 225 - 300 = $15. Helps to even out the short loads a little. Problem is i didnt get paid any short-haul miles for any of my loads yet. Need to find out why. I cant continue to do 100 - 200 mile all day loads at .34 per mile and make a living. If I dont get my money for these loads I'll start refusing them.
You're a fool to put up with that treatment. Get out of OTR trucking it's a loser's job.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 PM

you have 16 yrs XP and went to work for JB Hunt?!?!?!?

Why????

Did you expect something different???
Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
You're a fool to put up with that treatment. Get out of OTR trucking it's a loser's job.

How's the burger flipping going?

Old 12-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Rookie

My as well come home! I have 14yrs of experience and i feel you on the NO JOBS!. I am getting laid off from a very good local job i been with for 7yrs. I have applications in for local jobs, and nobody is hiring. It may possibly pick up in the new year, or when freight picks up in the spring. I won't take OTR work. I paid my dues with that bullshit, and will dig ditches by the hour before i waste my life away OTR!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
How's the burger flipping going?
The problem is that he is also at Burger Flippers.com telling them what losers they are for having that job.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Board Regular

welcome back CFM,LBJ,Coolio. missed you putting down an entire industry and all those that do it. how are things in NE? dick.