Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
Its almost like indentured servitude.
Almost? :lol:

There are two things you shouldn't do with your employer:

1. Rent a job from them by lease purchasing a truck
2. Rent a job from them by lease purchasing an education.

But I thought that was how you get rich :lol:
Old 07-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Millis Transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsclinger
Beginning to narrow down my choices and fro what little I am able to find out about this company on their website, they don't seem to be all that bad. They have a driving school about 2 hours from my home and I would then imagine that they have several freight lanes running in or through the Central Ohio area where I live. Their rookie finishing pay, when with a trainer on the road, doesn't seem too bad, but I do wonder about miles as to whether they are going to be constant or not?

Can anyone tell me anything about this company as currently they are running at the top of my list....

Thanks.
Have you decided what you're going to do?
Old 07-06-2008, 03:35 PM

If you need training,Schneider has one of the best around,work for a year and you owe them nothing,plus you'll get a years expiernce,after that ,with a decent record, you can write your own ticket,I was with Roehl for awhile,I ran 7 on 7 off,always got over 3000+ mpw,never unloaded a trailer,didn't like slip-seating, good luck to ya,how ever you decide.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Senior Board Member

I drove for them in the late 90's Better like hauling Beer waiting for the Brewary to finsih making the beer and ALOT and I mean ALOT of paper and Glass. I never got more than 2200 miles a week and also and this has been CONFIRMED by current drivers better like the back roads across OH and IN. Rohel or Schiender is a better company to start with than going with Millis. Especially now with their 2 year commitment to there training program if you leave before your time is up they come after you for 4500 over what you have paid them.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle_2006
I drove for them in the late 90's Better like hauling Beer waiting for the Brewary to finsih making the beer and ALOT and I mean ALOT of paper and Glass. I never got more than 2200 miles a week and also and this has been CONFIRMED by current drivers better like the back roads across OH and IN. Rohel or Schiender is a better company to start with than going with Millis. Especially now with their 2 year commitment to there training program if you leave before your time is up they come after you for 4500 over what you have paid them.
Should they like hazmat ping pong balls too?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Rev Give it up already. No wonder every PM I have gotten recently everyone is saying the same about YOU namely you are the FINAL END OF A HORESE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM.

My post here was to give this guy a clue about millis and here you go trying yet again to do what you do best being a TROLL.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:50 AM

Millis pays more during trainning, and yes, I know Money Isn't Everything, BUT IT IS ALOT....From the responses I've received about Millis, it almost sounds like Roehl or Schneider would be the better fit, for trainning, miles, and hometime. I've read about Roehl's 7/3-7/4 and 7on/7off programs, and both are available where I live. Now then it comes down to getting my own CDL and being able to pick the better available of the two, versus taking their trainning and being an indentured servant to them until I've paid them back. Also, the Community College I could get my CDL through is much cheaper than either of their trainning programs.....

It appears that I'm answering my own question, and that would be to sign up for the CDL trainning at the community college, take it on the weekends, so I can keep working and earning a paycheck until I get my CDL, and then throw it out to the two companies and see which one wants me and is willing to finish my on the job trainning and get my butt into a truck........
Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Millis pays more during trainning, and yes, I know Money Isn't Everything, BUT IT IS ALOT....From the responses I've received about Millis, it almost sounds like Roehl or Schneider would be the better fit, for trainning, miles, and hometime. I've read about Roehl's 7/3-7/4 and 7on/7off programs, and both are available where I live. Now then it comes down to getting my own CDL and being able to pick the better available of the two, versus taking their trainning and being an indentured servant to them until I've paid them back. Also, the Community College I could get my CDL through is much cheaper than either of their trainning programs.....

It appears that I'm answering my own question, and that would be to sign up for the CDL trainning at the community college, take it on the weekends, so I can keep working and earning a paycheck until I get my CDL, and then throw it out to the two companies and see which one wants me and is willing to finish my on the job trainning and get my butt into a truck........

I'm an ex pumpkin driver and IMO Schneider will be your best bet for training. They aren't the best company and they aren't the worst. You wont have to wait very long for loads (except if you are in a dead area) They will keep you moving and they will teach you the right way to drive a tractor and trailer.

Why would you want to waste thousands of dollars when you can get your CDL for free???All of the "starter" companys are the same. All you have to do is stick with one of them for a 18 months (SNI) and you got a free ride to just about anywhere you wish to go. Schneider looks good on a resume trust me.

Of course this is just my humble opinion. 8)
Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Now you're cooking with gas! :wink:

While you're at it, don't forget to inquire about any state grants or workforce development-type deals in Ohio. If you're a veteran, there's potential benefits you might be able to take advantage of through the VA. I know a couple of guys who went to CDL school for free.

But why limit yourself to the McMega carriers? The community college will have a job placement program and the instructors have contacts in the industry. You might be surprised at the options available to you. And don't be afraid to pound the pavement and make cold-calls. "Hello, I'm about to graduate from CDL school and I was wondering if you hire students...."

What you'll find is that most good jobs don't advertise because they don't have to...they have alot of guys who want to work for em' and the drivers they have rarely leave. Most of their hiring comes through word-of-mouth. So you could find yourself in the right place at the right time and land a sweet gig right out of school. No teaming with an a-hole trainer earning slave wages for a month or two. No spending weeks away from home. No pressure to lease a truck. No sitting over the weekends for no money. Basically bypassing the whole OTR "lifestyle" experience...
Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

LeBron, PM me as for some reason the Administrator won't let me PM to others, but I can reply. I've got a couple of questions to direct to you so if you don't mind, then that way I can just pick your brain.

Thanks..