User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Best dry van or reefer company out there?

I live on the North side of Houston and am looking for the best dry van or reefer company out there. I am looking for the most miles, best pay, and a reliable company. Benefits are not that important. I can stay out at least 3 weeks at a time. I have over 20 years driving experience, both local and OTR, and have driven solo and team. I am open to either solo or team as I have a friend that is willing to drive teams with me, we have driven teams before. I am open to a lease purchase program and I do realize that they are not always the best, I probably would prefer to start out as a company driver first and then explore leasing or purchasing a truck later. I do have hazmat and tanker endorsements but would prefer to drive dry van or reefer. Thanks in advance for your responses and keep it safe out there.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Board Regular

Wal-Mart or most private carriers
Old 04-13-2008, 05:51 PM

That os an impossible question to answer. There is a perfect company for everyone, but what works for me might suck for you. SInce home time isn't that important, you open yourself up to just about every company. Since benefits aren't important, you can also look hard at smaller "family" fleets. Yours is to gifure out what you want and look hard for it (ask a lot of questions.)

Personally, I always felt more comfortable on small fleets where I was a name and not a number. Always made great miles always made good money (generally on percentage which is, IMO, the way to run.) But some days I'd be sitting at some DC for hours wishing I pulled for one of the larger carriers whose trucks were running in, doing 15 minute D/H's and rolling again. So, everything is a trade off.

In a way, I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm looking to go back out in about a year after being away for over 5 years. I've been away long enough that I may have to reschool or refresh and start with a training company. But after that, I have to decide, like you, where I want to be. What I've determined so far is

1. LTL or linehaul would not be a good fit for me. 2. I don't want a dedicated route. 3. I don't have the people skills for HHG. 4. If I drive a van I want lots of D/H. 5. I've had my fill of produce for one lifetime. 6. I no longer wish to run outlaw. 7. I won't run team. 8. I need health benefits.
I figure from that list, I've narrowed it down quite a bit and should be able to find a company that fits the bill. I think you need to narrow down your list a bit further, then start looking hard at companies. You're off to a good start, but still a bit vague.

Good luck to you.
And she keeps me satisfied"

"As if you ever knew what it was taking you down the line..."
Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Rookie

Try Southern Refrigerated Transport out of Texarkana, AR-just because I had a bad experience with them doesn't mean you will-and with that much experience you could become a trainer, and make some good money.

Just MHO
Old 04-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Waylon Jennings sang it best:

"There ain't no good in an evil hearted woman
And I ain't cut out to be no Jesse James
And you don't go writin' hot checks down in Mississippi
And there ain't no good reefer hauler."

:lol:
Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM

I know I may have been a bit vague and that it is a little impossible to say who is the best. I have hauled air freight driving teams and enjoyed that quite a bit, also hauled plastic pellets in a tanker and have done LTL flatbed work, also a short stint with Prime pulling a reefer. I have had a string of poor choices over the last 6 months and just want to make the next move be the last move for a while. I appreciated all of your input thus far. I kinda want to stay away from the "mega" carriers although I have been looking at Crete, they seem to have a decent pay structure for solos. As I said before, I would be open to teams as well, I have a good friend of mine and we have teamed off and on for about 3 years total. Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
Wal-Mart or most private carriers
I agree. If you are not wanting to go to work for an LTL carrier like Roadway, Yellow, etc then your best bet for the best pay is going to be with a company like Wal Mart or another private carrier.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Another one to look into are the companies hauling mail. I don't know who does it down in the Houston area but all you would have to do is find the local mail center down there and go and see whose trucks are around and start making calls.