User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 03:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That's a fact! It's 2008 and they still suck!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Rookie

This is my first post on here. I frequent the message boards often but I had to post on this company. I left Knight back in December. I drove out of the Chicago terminal. I did plenty of research on them before I chose to drive for them back in July. I have to say that going to Knight was the worst thing I ever did. I'm not even sure I got paid for orientation which was a joke to say the least. We did the physicals and what not and then spent the rest of the time sitting at a table reading the company manual. No one explained anything to us except that they want at least 2500 miles a week and we could run where we wanted to and they pre-plan you on your next load. Ok sounds good. From July to December I think I only had 2 weeks that I had over 2500 miles. I averaged 1300-1500 miles a week with them. I was never preplanned. Every time I got empty I had to wait at least an hour at a minimum to get another load but if I didn't have a trailer, I'd spend at least 4hrs driving here and there to go find one. The majority of my 14hr day consisted of waiting to get a load or going on a wild goose chase to find a trailer. God forbid you got to Atlanta to do a drop and hook. Forget about finding an empty trailer there. And the thing I don't understand is I researched them well on this site and others and no one had a bad thing to say about them!! If I chose to work over the weekend which I did most of the time so I could get more than a
Old 02-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Rookie

sorry I hit the wrong button on that last post..but anyway, you get the gist of what I was saying about Knight. If I worked on the weekends, most of the time I was stuck till Monday before I could get loaded. I don't understand how a company as large as Knight could send someone to deliver somewhere and not have them preplanned out of there. My paycheck for the week of Thanksgiving? Sixty dollars!!!! I have three kids and a car payment...they have seriously put me in the poor house. I got of trucking after that experience. Knight is not worth the headaches..
Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Rookie

sorry I hit the wrong button on that last post..but anyway, you get the gist of what I was saying about Knight. If I worked on the weekends, most of the time I was stuck till Monday before I could get loaded. I don't understand how a company as large as Knight could send someone to deliver somewhere and not have them preplanned out of there. My paycheck for the week of Thanksgiving? Sixty dollars!!!! I have three kids and a car payment...they have seriously put me in the poor house. I got of trucking after that experience. Knight is not worth the headaches..
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Board Member

You must be one of those drivers I see at every terminal crying the blues there not making any money and in your next breath you say..."well i ain't going there or I ain't gonna do that crappy load."
I see the same piece of shit drivers at every terminal doing the same thing. Hanging out having a bitchfest with other drivers. Meanwhile I am in and out after scanning my paperwork and keep on trucking.
As far as not getting over 2,500 miles per week, that is your own fault. If you are willing to work for it you will get it. Stop bitching and drive.
I have been with Knight since August of '07 and have NEVER dropped below 2,500 miles in a week. As a matter of fact I hardly ever drop below 3,000 miles a week. This week I ran 4,031 miles. Doesn't seem to me there is a shortage of freight.

Some people just aren't happy unless they are bitching!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:42 PM

Just curious dollarshort, how many days was your week to get 4,031?

How is the insurance and other benefits at Knight?

Is finding an empty really that much of a pain with Knight? That seems the biggest negative I've heard about Knight.

Thanks and have a great day.....expecting 12 inches of snow here just north of Madison, WI. Thats on top of 1/4 of ice that fell first
Old 02-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Here was my week:

Monday 2/11/08

Left Carlisle, PA terminal @0600
delivered in Rochester, NY
Reload in Buffalo, NY
End day in Carlisle, Pa terminal

Tuesday 2/12/08

Left Carlisle, PA terminal @ 1000
Drop/Hook in Atlanta, GA

Wednesday 2/13/08

Reload in Murrow, GA
Drop/Hook in Carlisle, PA terminal

Thursday 2/14/08

Deadhead to Topton, PA
Drop/Hook in Topton, PA headed for Billings, MT

Friday- Driving

Saturday 2/16/08

Deliver in Billings, MT @ 1700

Total of 69.5 hours for week.

This is how I work EVERY week! You can't make $$$$ sitting around bitching all the time.

My motto: 11 on 10 off PERIOD!

I am out here away from my family. I am not out here as a tourist sightseeing. I did that years ago. I am out here to make as much $$$$ as possible. If I am not making top dollar then I won't do it anymore.

As you complainers can see there is no shortage of miles if you intend to put the effort in and work for it.

The key is COMMUNICATION!!!!! Keep on your dispatcher and make sure they stay ahead of you. Once they see how you can run they will make sure to keep you moving.

Do you know how many times I have heard "I called you because you are the only one I can count on."

Be dependable and run hard and you will have more opportunities than you can handle.

By the way I am already Preplanned on a load from here to Salt Lake City, Ut. for a drop and hook going back home in PA.

So while I sit back here in Montana taking my 34 hour reset watching the Daytona 500 just imagine what you could do with a little dedication?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:10 PM

Still curious about the health insurance and other benefits and the real scoop on trouble finding empties like I have heard some complain on here about Knight
Old 02-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Insurance is so, so. i have my insurance through my wife. She works at a hospital and their coverage is phenomenal.

Yes, I have had a problem at time finding empties. Some driver expect to find one right across the street and they refuse to go look any further.

If you know where your next load is then try to have dispatch find one on the way there. If not make sure you keep track of how much time it took you to get one and demand to get paid by the hour to find it.

Perfect example.....I was in Fontana, CA looking for an empty. Problem was so were about another 10 drivers. I ran over a 100 miles outside of the area and got one. Got paid for the round trip so who cares.

You just have to be flexible in this business. Sure not everyday goes perfect, but you take the good with the bad.

I did look in the employee manual to make sure....Orientation pay is $100.00 and you will get 2 shirts and a hat if available. If not just keep asking and you will get them.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:16 PM