User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Other benefits

I like the safety bonuses, service bonuses, etc.

Just by doing your job the right way you will receive $1,000 savings bond the first year. Then every year after it will increase by $500.
So your 5th year you will get $3,000.

Also, since Knight is a publicly traded company you will receive 800 shares of stock options after you 2nd year and 400 shares every year thereafter.

Vacation pay is your 52 week average paycheck.

But I have to say my biggest plus with Knight is they keep you moving.
Also, when you do someone a FAVOR they remember it! And they REWARD it!

Sure, not every company is the right fit for every person, but for me and the way my work ethic is Knight is the fit for me.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't think they do orientations in Lemont. Let me find out for you.
Lemont is just a drop yard basically. They are going to build a brand new terminal in Joliet soon.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Senior Board Member

START YOUR ENGINES!!!!!! Finally :roll:
Old 02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Rookie

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dollarshort says:
You must be one of those drivers I see at every terminal crying the blues there not making any money and in your next breath you say..."well i ain't going there or I ain't gonna do that crappy load."
I see the same piece of $&!+ drivers at every terminal doing the same thing. Hanging out having a bitchfest with other drivers. Meanwhile I am in and out after scanning my paperwork and keep on trucking.
As far as not getting over 2,500 miles per week, that is your own fault. If you are willing to work for it you will get it. Stop bitching and drive.
I have been with Knight since August of '07 and have NEVER dropped below 2,500 miles in a week. As a matter of fact I hardly ever drop below 3,000 miles a week. This week I ran 4,031 miles. Doesn't seem to me there is a shortage of freight.

Some people just aren't happy unless they are bitching!

First of all you know nothing about me to say the crap that you have. People like you always assume that drivers like me turn down loads and blame the lack of miles on the drivers. I've never turned down a load, thats number 1. I have no control over the miles I got per week, thats up to the dispatcher and load planners thats number 2. Thats a fact Jack. I should have not had to sit waiting on a load everytime I delivered. I WAS WILLING TO WORK. Lets get that straight. I stayed out 3 out of 4 weekends. But every time I called, it was we're working on something for you or there's no frieght in your area. I should have been preplanned but rarely was. Congratulations on getting in and scanning your paperwork and getting out. I wish I had that luxury. And to the others...yes they do orientation in Lemont. You're right Dollarshort..you can't make money sitting around and bitching. But you're dispatcher also has to have loads for you so you don't sit around..I've blown the phones up at Lemont asking to get loaded...Kevin was my dispatcher. Nice guy and all. Worked with him many times to get loaded but did more waiting than anything.
It never ceases to amaze me how once a driver tells of his negative experience with a company how some other driver thats with the company has to jump on their a$$ and assume its the drivers fault for it not working out. You know nothing about me and how many times I bent over backwards for Knight to get a load. May paycheck for the week of Thanksgiving? Sixty Dollars and that was a run from Independance Mo, to Philly. And I stayed out that week and weekend trying to make money. So don't go preaching to me that the miles are there if I'm willing to work for it. I was willing day in and day out. Like I said I never turned down a load so how can the lack of miles be my fault? Explain that one to me..I need a good story.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Well now I guess I can say I do know you and how you operate.

Missouri to Philly, PA is approx. 1,000 miles.

@ a minimum of .35 cpm that would be $350.00 for that run. How do you end up with a $60.00 paycheck? Explain that one to me.

My guess would be you are hanging out at the truckstops taking advances. How else could you explain the difference?

And if you are not happy with the miles your dispatcher is giving you GET ANOTHER DISPATCHER! I don't care how nice he may be, he's not making you any money.

I fired my first dispatcher because he wasn't doing as well as I thought he should be.

Again, the moral of the story......Instead of setting around bitching about it. Do something to change it and make it better.

It appears to me you had plenty of time to figure out what to do to make it better. Call your terminal manager and get him involved. If that doesn't work go over his head. Do whatever you have to do to get what you want. did you ever hear the phrase "The squeaky wheel gets the grease?" Believe me it works. Just don't throw your hands up and say "I quit!"

Regardless of your personal situation. Knight is not considered profitable unless every truck hits the 2,500 mile per week mark. And trust me they are doing everything possible to make sure that happens.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
did you ever hear the phrase "The squeaky wheel gets the grease?"
And sometimes it gets replaced. :lol:

Quote:
Knight is not considered profitable unless every truck hits the 2,500 mile per week mark. And trust me they are doing everything possible to make sure that happens.
Yes, however there is little penalty when a driver is not moving due to the crappy layover/detention polices in OTR trucking. OTR trucking will always have too many trucks chasing too little freight.

3,000 average mpw...4000 miles last week...those are not realistic mileage rates in the area of the country you are based out of in a governed company truck. I know why you're getting those miles and so does your dispatcher and so does Knight. But don't bash a guy because he isn't getting miles...not everyone is gonna get those kinds of miles and there are many other factors which come into play.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
did you ever hear the phrase "The squeaky wheel gets the grease?"
And sometimes it gets replaced. :lol:

Quote:
Knight is not considered profitable unless every truck hits the 2,500 mile per week mark. And trust me they are doing everything possible to make sure that happens.
Yes, however there is little penalty when a driver is not moving due to the crappy layover/detention polices in OTR trucking. OTR trucking will always have too many trucks chasing too little freight.

3,000 average mpw...4000 miles last week...those are not realistic mileage rates in the area of the country you are based out of in a governed company truck. I know why you're getting those miles and so does your dispatcher and so does Knight. But don't bash a guy because he isn't getting miles...not everyone is gonna get those kinds of miles and there are many other factors which come into play.
You are incorrect sir! The Carlisle, PA terminal is the most productive as far as miles per driver.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Rookie

Dollarshort says...
Well now I guess I can say I do know you and how you operate.

Missouri to Philly, PA is approx. 1,000 miles.

@ a minimum of .35 cpm that would be $350.00 for that run. How do you end up with a $60.00 paycheck? Explain that one to me.

My guess would be you are hanging out at the truckstops taking advances. How else could you explain the difference?

And if you are not happy with the miles your dispatcher is giving you GET ANOTHER DISPATCHER! I don't care how nice he may be, he's not making you any money.

I fired my first dispatcher because he wasn't doing as well as I thought he should be.

Again, the moral of the story......Instead of setting around bitching about it. Do something to change it and make it better.

It appears to me you had plenty of time to figure out what to do to make it better. Call your terminal manager and get him involved. If that doesn't work go over his head. Do whatever you have to do to get what you want. did you ever hear the phrase "The squeaky wheel gets the grease?" Believe me it works. Just don't throw your hands up and say "I quit!"

Regardless of your personal situation. Knight is not considered profitable unless every truck hits the 2,500 mile per week mark. And trust me they are doing everything possible to make sure that happens.

Ah yes..I hang out in truckstops taking advances..Nope sorry don't take advances so you can squash that theory. Its a little over 1000 miles but instead of making .35cpm how about .22cpm? They have this little thing they call per diem or did you forget about that. So take the .13cpm off for per diem and thats what the load payed. And they only pay you .11cpm of that per diem back on the net side for the load and keep .2cpm for to take care of "expenses" on their end for paying per diem? Are you kidding me? Its a rip off. I've never seen a company whine as much as they did when I asked them numerous times to take me off the per diem pay plan. Did they do it? No. If a company is going to pay per diem, pay the whole daily allowance allowed by the government instead of ripping drivers off by only paying part of it and ripping drivers off by keeping .2cpm for "expenses." And although its none of your business, I do have to pay child support. But thats not the point. The point is what happened that week was typical of every week I spent at Knight. I called Phoneix and asked them who was responsible for getting 2500 miles to the truck. Their answer, load planners and dispatchers. So I asked them to look at my runs and tell me why I'm only averaging 1500. They couldn't give me an answer. Believe me all levels of management got involved in trying to figure out why I sat so much...my dispatcher, my terminal manger Dave and folks out of Phoneix. The response I always got was "we'll get back to ya, lets us do some research." Well you know, I can only put up with this "research" for so long. Its sad when a company as large as Knight won't even call its own drivers back to let them know whats going on or what they've found out. I have never in my life been so direspected by a truck company. And its sad to see they still have trolls like you working for them oblivious to who they really are. You should open your eyes and get the big picture. I worked my ass off for them 70hrs a week only to sit and wait for loads and chase down empty trailers that weren't where they said they were. Ya know it gets old going to 5 different places looking for empty trailers that don't exist. You would think that with this satellite tracking they have on their trailers, they could eliminate this problem. Saying that other drivers expect empty trailers to be across the street or accusing drivers of not wanting to go look for trailers shows how much of a blind idiot you are. You are apparently one of those drivers that knows it all right? You been there done that? You sure do talk like you know me and know my driving habits. Hell you see me sitting around at truckstops taking advances apparently so I must be wrong right? I'm just making this all up, surely it can't be true. The owner of Knight Transportation..former VP of Swift..need I say more. Buty hey Dollarshort, you go ahead and keep driving for them cause it working out great for you so it must be that way for all their drivers right? Oh I did solve the problem with them by the way, I left them back in December. Pretty much had to or I was gonna lose everything I had cause I couldn't pay the bills. I'm done with the trucking industry. 1300-1500 miles per week with per diem pay, are you serious? You have a good time with them.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
You are incorrect sir! The Carlisle, PA terminal is the most productive as far as miles per driver.
Perhaps. I'm just wondering how you could legally do 4,031 miles in a governed company truck? Average of 3k mpw....only way to do that is to put a good deal of elbow grease into the logbook. Been there, done that. I was one of those "high-milers" at one time...to see a picture of me back then...the drive/sleep/drive/sleep/drive/sleep mentality took a toll...had bags under the eyes, hardly ever saw home, got sick more often...it's a tough way to make a living and the risks involved are great. But dispatch will always throw bones to such drivers. That's just the way it goes.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Perhaps. I'm just wondering how you could legally do 4,031 miles in a governed company truck? Average of 3k mpw....only way to do that is to put a good deal of elbow grease into the logbook. Been there, done that. I was one of those "high-milers" at one time...to see a picture of me back then...the drive/sleep/drive/sleep/drive/sleep mentality took a toll...had bags under the eyes, hardly ever saw home, got sick more often...it's a tough way to make a living and the risks involved are great. But dispatch will always throw bones to such drivers. That's just the way it goes.
CFM...You amaze me!!! You just made a perfectly sound arguement, without being the least bit snide!!

Good job!!!

Love the new avatar!!