User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CRETE - A Year in Review

OK, My first full calender year with Crete (Jan-Dec) 2007 has passed and I thought I would show the actual numbers.

Anyone that has spent any time on this forum knows that there are endless opinions , good and bad, about every trucking company. What is often lacking is actual facts.

The intention of the following information is to give just that. Facts without opinions. I would love to see other drivers for all companies do the same, to some extent anyway. Let the other drivers on this board know what kind of money can be made. If people would stop driving for the bottom feeders, the day would come when these companies might have to stop paying slave wages.

The chart below shows the miles for each run of the past year. Please note miles are posted on the day the load was delivered and monthly totals are not adjusted to show partial miles for trips that begin in one month and end in another.

The following will show various breakdowns of the mileage chart above.

Days lost due to Breakdown: 0

Total days of Layover: 0

NUMBER OF ILLEGAL LOG ENTRIES: 0

I was going to post my final paystub also, but it seems the payroll website is acting up today and I can't pull it up. But for now, here an approximate but very close to actual pay information for the year. Please note that my pay increased from 41cpm to 42cpm in September.

My final pay check on 12/27/07 for miles run through 12/21/07 was aprox $61,500.

Final Pay 2007 $61,500.00
Less: First paycheck 2007 for last week of 2006 - 575.23
Add: First paycheck 2008 for last week of 2007
including 1week pd/vac @ $1154 + 1612.59
-------------

Gross pay for 2007 $62,537.36

Some of you will note that if you add 139,453miles by 41cpm that it doesn't come up to 61K+. The additional pay is due to Detention pay, Stop Pay, one referral bonus of $1000 and other various accessorial pay that is more detailed than I care to get into.

There are good companies and bad ones, why work for a bad one?

[email protected]
Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Board Regular

in the words of Borat "very nice"

How much experience do you need to sign on with crete? how long have you been with them? im going to school soon locally and weighing my options. Does crete take noobs or do you have to have a certain amount experience with them?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Good job!

Very nice to see someone besides me do this! The only thing I don't like is the fact that according to your numbers you only took off 53 days through the year of actual hometime. That's not a lot of time to reap the rewards of your hard work. But nonetheless, if it works for you that's the ONLY thing that matters. Stay safe, keep up the good work, and stay happy!

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa7272
in the words of Borat "very nice"

How much experience do you need to sign on with crete?( how long have you been with them? im going to school soon locally and weighing my options. Does crete take noobs or do you have to have a certain amount experience with them?
For starters, do a search on Crete and you will find all kinds of info on them.

I've only been with them for about 1 1/2 years. I have 10 yrs driving exp, but most of it was local work(doesn't count toward pay level). I did have over 3 yrs OTR but couldn't verify all of it so I was started with Crete at the beginning pay of 41cpm.

Crete hires student drivers, but they must attend a PTDI certified school:

http://www.ptdi.org/

Or a school that has been pre-approved by Crete.

Trainees are paid $500/week for 8 weeks and then assigned their own truck and paid 34cpm for the first year. You will then be paid 41cpm. Huge raise.

Experience drivers are paid 41cpm for 1-3 yrs OTR exp and more for more exp.

[email protected]
Old 01-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide
Good job!

Very nice to see someone besides me do this! The only thing I don't like is the fact that according to your numbers you only took off 53 days through the year of actual hometime. That's not a lot of time to reap the rewards of your hard work. But nonetheless, if it works for you that's the ONLY thing that matters. Stay safe, keep up the good work, and stay happy!
Hey Cyanide;

You are the one that gave me the idea, we need to show other drivers that they don't have to work for 30K a year.

I know what your talking about with hometime, it's my only real grip with Crete. I love Crete passionately and if you want a nice cushy job pulling a van and don't need to be home often, Crete is the only place to be. With that said, I put my app in with Superior last week. Imagine my surprise when I found out they have a terminal 10 miles from home. HOMETIME here I come

[email protected]
Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Board Regular

would they take me if I went to north american trade schools? North American trade schools is not PTDI certified but the course they offer is 320 hours

i cant see paying almost close to double for school just for ptdi certification. the only other reputable school in the area is allstate career.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
would they take me if I went to north american trade schools? North American trade schools is not PTDI certified but the course they offer is 320 hours

i cant see paying almost close to double for school just for ptdi certification. the only other reputable school in the area is allstate career.
Call a Crete recruiter and ask them if they will accept your school

www.cretecarrier.com

As far a not seeing paying double for PTDI, see above pay and then try to get a swift, werner etc driver to do the same. The extra pay will more than cover the additional cost. Also, a number of Community Colleges offer PTDI courses for much less than the for profit outfits.

[email protected]
Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 PM

To the "Newbie" drivers that will be reading this. Please take into account that this driver worked extremely hard, often staying out MONTHS at a time. It takes a very dedicated individual to do this and I applaud his hard work.

If I ever decide to go back to a real OTR company, CRETE will be my first application. Sounds and looks like they treat you well for the work that you do.

Looks like you should take a nice two month vacation to Bangkok Thailand and spend a few thousand of that hard earned cash. :twisted:
Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Board Regular

Quote:

How much is north american trade? College of Southern MD is only about ninety minutes from Baltimore (depending on where in baltimore you are and is PTDI certified. But yeah, I'd call a recruiter. If you PM me, I can give you the phone number for the recruiter I'm working with now.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHG0069
To the "Newbie" drivers that will be reading this. Please take into account that this driver worked extremely hard often staying out MONTHS at a time. It takes a very dedicated individual to do this and I applaud his hard work.

If I ever decide to go back to a real OTR company, CRETE will be my first application. Sounds and looks like they treat you well for the work that you do.

Looks like you should take a nice two month vacation to Bangkok Thailand and spend a few thousand of that hard earned cash. :twisted:
You said it, I stay on the road for extended periods of time, but I do that so I can stay at home longer when I'm there.

What the chart doesn't show is the numerous extended restarts that I took (two days and one night type)on the road. These times were often spent in places like the French Quarter in New Orleans; Kittery, ME(there is nothing like a fresh lobster just off the boat); Las Vegas; Portland, OR; Phoenix, AZ(80 in Feb); South Beach, FL; Gulf Coast, San Antonio, TX; Chicago, IL(go Cubs); ETC.

Any major city has rental car companies that will come and pick you up and bring you back to your truck. I alway have a laptop with me and get great rates at 1st rate hotels and resorts through Priceline and Hotwire. I've been able to travel all over this country and see things on a regular bases that just wouldn't be possible working behind a desk. And I'm doing it on Crete's dime.

Yes I ran hard to make that pay. That's my style, I love to run hard. If I'm going to be stuck in this truck, I want it to be moving and making money. I don't think twice about working a 14hr day. The info only shows that it is possible to make good $ for those like me that love to run hard and play hard in between. The nice part about Crete is you don't have to run that hard. The way their loads are set up you can easily run 2500 miles a week or less, be home more often, and still make 50K year with little effort.

It's what you make of it, much liKE life.

Live it, Love it

[email protected]