Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn trunk monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdrvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari
Hi Haze. I was happy to read your post. I sent in my application to Crete the other day. Waiting to hear back from them now.

I live in Tampa and it's always an issue but I'm told 2-3 weeks out which is more than I want to be out but I'll live with it I guess. How long are you out at a time?

You say you're getting good miles. Care to elaborate on that? I'm hoping for 2800/week or more.

Have you had any runs up to NYC? I really don't wanna drive through that neck of the woods. Can you refuse to do NYC if you don't want to do it?

Are you able to route your own trip or are you assigned a specific route to follow?

Thanks
Dok
Howdy Dok. I been with Crete now for 6 years and can answer a few questions.

Quite a few drivers are out of Florida and get home bugt I always hear complaints of never when they want so don't make any pressing plans. It is that way with many drivers. I get home when asked a majority of the time but it is frustrating sometimes when you need to be there and they can't seem to do so. Many times I refuse a load as it is not getting me home and voila.....Magic I get one soon after. Crete does not care or try to get one home except at their convenience. They will do so eventually.

The miles can be very good and sometimes I will approach what the other guy said especially when I hold a trip back from the week before. Right niow is the slow period for most companies so the freight will pick up soon hopefully. I did just sit in Orgon for 4 days as there was no freight and when asked for sittting pay was told that Crete company policy was no sitting pay if there is no freight so I have to make diddly this week.

Every once on a blue moon a load will go the NYC area and if yoy get more than one choice then you can pick one of the others but if not then refuse it and then they will just make you sit. I have found many times I have gotten a choice and this has been real big with Crete for the years I have been with them is they will send a crappy load either on miles or to a crappy place like NYC that can be made on time. Then the other two choices are impossible to make legally. This it seems is a standard company policy as it has been going on for many years.

They have assigned routes. Sometimes I shake my head at them but usually it is what I would have taken anyway. They will do anything to avoid paying tolls though and will route you through the woods. It has been funny when they started to pay miles closer to the actual trip and even started putting it on their ads. Then they will route you their way and the out of route miles are the same as before. Many times though the miles and trips are close or somewhat close.

Any other questions then feel free to ask and I will come in here and try to answer truthfully.

I am starting to maybe look at another outfit myself but know there are no other companies that treat their drivers better. They all could care less about the drivers and care more about the truck also like Crete. They have a new deal starting and even though I doubt the rumours are true I may leave them because of them.

If THEY sent you to Oregan,,,then made you sit 4-days,,THEY should have made sure the HAD freight to get out of there BEFORE again BEFORE they accepted that load!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Its not your fault,,You should have been PAID!
piss poor planning by CRETE.......DRIVERS!! GET WITH A COMPANY
that has ther act together.....IF YOU ARE NOT AT YOUR HOME,,
You ARE WORKING...YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO GET PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to agree with you on That Tenn. I had never had probs before getting a load though and thought nothing of it. There were quite a few of us and two that sat for 5 days. Then everyone aks for sit pay and each was told that the policy was no sit pay if there is no freight to dispatch. Really piss poor. Now I am single and no kids but all the others except one has family and need to feed their families and pay bills. Not even acceptable behaviour.

Also now with Shaffer and Crete being consolidated and seeing a lot of Crete trailers and loads now being pulled by Shaffer drivers means a lot less for us Crete drivers. Last time I was at the Wilmer terminal and could find no trailers and saw 7 Shaffer trucks with Crete trailers. The sculttlebutt is that Crete dfrivers will now be forced to pull the Reefer Shaffer trailers and no differencial between reefer and Dry van. That is not sitting well with a lot of drivers atht came to Crete because it was a dry van company. Many came to Shaffer because it was a Reefer company. Now I am still hearing a final say so if it will be mandatory for us to haul reefer or not as many are also.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Haze. I was happy to read your post. I sent in my application to Crete the other day. Waiting to hear back from them now.

I live in Tampa and it's always an issue but I'm told 2-3 weeks out which is more than I want to be out but I'll live with it I guess. How long are you out at a time?

You say you're getting good miles. Care to elaborate on that? I'm hoping for 2800/week or more.

Have you had any runs up to NYC? I really don't wanna drive through that neck of the woods. Can you refuse to do NYC if you don't want to do it?

Are you able to route your own trip or are you assigned a specific route to follow?

Thanks
Dok

Quite a few drivers are out of Florida and get home bugt I always hear complaints of never when they want so don't make any pressing plans. It is that way with many drivers. I get home when asked a majority of the time but it is frustrating sometimes when you need to be there and they can't seem to do so. Many times I refuse a load as it is not getting me home and voila.....Magic I get one soon after. Crete does not care or try to get one home except at their convenience. They will do so eventually.

The miles can be very good and sometimes I will approach what the other guy said especially when I hold a trip back from the week before. Right niow is the slow period for most companies so the freight will pick up soon hopefully. I did just sit in Orgon for 4 days as there was no freight and when asked for sittting pay was told that Crete company policy was no sitting pay if there is no freight so I have to make diddly this week.

Every once on a blue moon a load will go the NYC area and if yoy get more than one choice then you can pick one of the others but if not then refuse it and then they will just make you sit. I have found many times I have gotten a choice and this has been real big with Crete for the years I have been with them is they will send a crappy load either on miles or to a crappy place like NYC that can be made on time. Then the other two choices are impossible to make legally. This it seems is a standard company policy as it has been going on for many years.

They have assigned routes. Sometimes I shake my head at them but usually it is what I would have taken anyway. They will do anything to avoid paying tolls though and will route you through the woods. It has been funny when they started to pay miles closer to the actual trip and even started putting it on their ads. Then they will route you their way and the out of route miles are the same as before. Many times though the miles and trips are close or somewhat close.

Any other questions then feel free to ask and I will come in here and try to answer truthfully.

I am starting to maybe look at another outfit myself but know there are no other companies that treat their drivers better. They all could care less about the drivers and care more about the truck also like Crete. They have a new deal starting and even though I doubt the rumours are true I may leave them because of them.

If THEY sent you to Oregan,,,then made you sit 4-days,,THEY should have made sure the HAD freight to get out of there BEFORE again BEFORE they accepted that load!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Its not your fault,,You should have been PAID!
I have to agree with you on That Tenn. I had never had probs before getting a load though and thought nothing of it. There were quite a few of us and two that sat for 5 days. Then everyone aks for sit pay and each was told that the policy was no sit pay if there is no freight to dispatch. Really piss poor. Now I am single and no kids but all the others except one has family and need to feed their families and pay bills. Not even acceptable behaviour.

Also now with Shaffer and Crete being consolidated and seeing a lot of Crete trailers and loads now being pulled by Shaffer drivers means a lot less for us Crete drivers. Last time I was at the Wilmer terminal and could find no trailers and saw 7 Shaffer trucks with Crete trailers. The sculttlebutt is that Crete dfrivers will now be forced to pull the Reefer Shaffer trailers and no differencial between reefer and Dry van. That is not sitting well with a lot of drivers atht came to Crete because it was a dry van company. Many came to Shaffer because it was a Reefer company. Now I am still hearing a final say so if it will be mandatory for us to haul reefer or not as many are also.
txdrv..I believe you said you been with CRETE ,,6-yrs...,,and you get that treatment!.. hope your making about .....42.cent mile ..home on weekends...and SOME during the WEEK!!....and you take your"VOLVO" truck home with you....no touch...and if you sit over,,,,3-4 hrs...you'r lucky...with dispatchers that HAVE,, it together....where do you live?.Ibelive i read a post that you said,,south of HOUSTON..how far are you from ,,MCAllen Tx....even with 29 yrs exp...it won't let me ,,PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:11 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
I did just sit in Orgon for 4 days as there was no freight and when asked for sittting pay was told that Crete company policy was no sitting pay if there is no freight so I have to make diddly this week.
4 days sitting around for no pay? What other profession has people show up for work 4 straight days for zilch? Oh yeah, but I forgot. It's all about the escape, sightseeing, driving a big rig, hoboing around, etc.

Crete...just another McMega hauler with a $hitload of generic slow-assed freightliners with empty seats.

They're all the same.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:15 AM
Senior Board Member

CFM, you forgot the part about the CEO who married the owners daughter and is a college boy who has never driven a truck out of the parking lot.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Dok

txdrv..I believe you said you been with CRETE ,,6-yrs...,,and you get that treatment!.. hope your making about .....42.cent mile ..home on weekends...and SOME during the WEEK!!....and you take your"VOLVO" truck home with you....no touch...and if you sit over,,,,3-4 hrs...you'r lucky...with dispatchers that HAVE,, it together....where do you live?.Ibelive i read a post that you said,,south of HOUSTON..how far are you from ,,MCAllen Tx....even with 29 yrs exp...it won't let me ,,PM.
Yes I live bween Houston and Galveston and McAllen is still aways south. Used to have to run down there for Walgreens before I came with Crete. Been with Crete 6 years on the 12 of this month.

I do make good CPM though and that I will give Crete credit as they do pay and I always wonder why drivers make a lot less for going to the same places and get treated as crappy if not more so.

Used to be it was rare to sit at all once upon a time here but it happens frequently now and I guess why worry when a company doesn't have to shell out the money to pay sit pay but just wait untill something comes up. No incentive to hurry for sure or find something to get that driver going.

The dispatchers I will put up against any dispatchers in the whole industry as being clueless. When I have talked to any potential driver that asks about coming to Crete I alwasy say that they need a certain amount of experience to come work for Crete. There are good training companies out there that is good to start with until one learns the ropes. They have what are called driver managers and they will be someone to contact when one is having a tough time ro needs info to guide them. Our dispatchers know nothing ever about anything. I learned years ago when I called about something and was told rudely to "Use the Quallcom" and slammed the phone down. I used the quallcom and got no reply. Frustrating to say the least. Feel for the newbies that come on to Crete.

There are a couple of thing Crete still do very well and that can offset a lot of crap but it does get old over time.

I put my yahoo IM in my profile.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Dok

Yes I live bween Houston and Galveston and McAllen is still aways south. Used to have to run down there for Walgreens before I came with Crete. Been with Crete 6 years on the 12 of this month.

I do make good CPM though and that I will give Crete credit as they do pay and I always wonder why drivers make a lot less for going to the same places and get treated as crappy if not more so.

Used to be it was rare to sit at all once upon a time here but it happens frequently now and I guess why worry when a company doesn't have to shell out the money to pay sit pay but just wait untill something comes up. No incentive to hurry for sure or find something to get that driver going.

The dispatchers I will put up against any dispatchers in the whole industry as being clueless. When I have talked to any potential driver that asks about coming to Crete I alwasy say that they need a certain amount of experience to come work for Crete. There are good training companies out there that is good to start with until one learns the ropes. They have what are called driver managers and they will be someone to contact when one is having a tough time ro needs info to guide them. Our dispatchers know nothing ever about anything. I learned years ago when I called about something and was told rudely to "Use the Quallcom" and slammed the phone down. I used the quallcom and got no reply. Frustrating to say the least. Feel for the newbies that come on to Crete.

There are a couple of thing Crete still do very well and that can offset a lot of crap but it does get old over time.

I put my yahoo IM in my profile.
I';m not a ,,computer genius...yahoo wanted me to download a bunch of
stuff ,,i don't need.... it's Tues,, at home allready got,,,,1340 pay miles this week ,,I run--west TENN to detroit,,,3 per wk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,left
mon morn,,,1100,,will wind up wk,,appox,,4020..home 3 times during wk.
and ,home ,,,sat evening,thru ,mon morn 1100................we are talking auto parts,,
85% ,,drop and hook,,,,,,,,,,,mcAllen Tx,,,to Detroit,,,,,,,,,,,,`I'm gone,,
gotta go to work,,wed,,-thurs --be back thurs evening
home on computer......by then,,will have,,2640 miles,,,1--more to go..
do the math,,,,,43 cents x 4020 miles=,,,,,,2007 VOLVO with APU,,,,
in my drive way.......
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a cousin with Trans X outta Canada and I think he runs auto parts like that too....from Kentucky to Detroit or Chicago.....have to ask him next time we talk.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Rookie

You'r right,,,see alot of TRANS-X......My self,,I do CHRYSLER........ 8)
Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
I did just sit in Orgon for 4 days as there was no freight and when asked for sittting pay was told that Crete company policy was no sitting pay if there is no freight so I have to make diddly this week.
4 days sitting around for no pay? What other profession has people show up for work 4 straight days for zilch? Oh yeah, but I forgot. It's all about the escape, sightseeing, driving a big rig, hoboing around, etc.

Crete...just another McMega hauler with a $hitload of generic slow-assed freightliners with empty seats.

They're all the same.
Have to agree. Crete is just another in a long line of mega carriers. They do a couple of things well and the pay is better than many OTR companies but the changes the last few years have made them just like any other company. Just another generic carrier and really no different than any other.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:55 PM

Also now with Shaffer and Crete being consolidated and seeing a lot of Crete trailers and loads now being pulled by Shaffer drivers means a lot less for us Crete drivers. Last time I was at the Wilmer terminal and could find no trailers and saw 7 Shaffer trucks with Crete trailers. The sculttlebutt is that Crete dfrivers will now be forced to pull the Reefer Shaffer trailers and no differencial between reefer and Dry van. That is not sitting well with a lot of drivers atht came to Crete because it was a dry van company. Many came to Shaffer because it was a Reefer company. Now I am still hearing a final say so if it will be mandatory for us to haul reefer or not as many are also.[/quote]

I must show this thread to my better half. We departed Crete last June and have never looked back.

She has started training to re-instate her nursing licence, and I have a nice dedicated run that gets me home every night, running from Austin, TX to Carrollton and back 5 days a week.

No more living in truck stops.

We ran into the same problem as many others living in Texas, not being able to get home when needed. Had to fight to get to Florida in November 2006 for the cruise we had booked.

And after the very poor miles we got as a team, we knew it was time to go.

With the changes I was warned were coming, the time was right.

And not having to put up with the Wilmer terminal manager is a big plus..