Old 11-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle
[b]$ 16.07 per hour x 12 hour days x 318 day worked = $61323.12

Must admit little better than the mega carriers

.28 per mile 2500 miles =$ 700 divided by 6 days $116 divided by 12 hour days $ 9.72 per hour[/b].

Ha, Ha, I am a system driver at Superior. We have trucks that go 68 mph. We cannot however "average" more that 60 mph on our logs. I Almost NEVER work twelve hours in a day unless I have to. I usually make my 650-660 miles within ten hours worked. ...Um ahem... I may log twelve, but I rarely work it.

Local guys... well that's a different story.[/quote]

my truck will run 87 but we arent suppose to log over 62.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide
Considering that I was simply just an average company driver at Superior for a while, tell me what's so wrong with how I did, or how Skywalker and Mudpuddle are doing???

Superior Carriers (July 31, 2006 to Oct. 07, 2007)
Gross Pay: $61,343.70 (All mileage pay, training pay, orientation pay, hourly pay, holiday pay, personal day pay, vacation pay)
Miles: 109,115
Avg.: .562/mile
Hazmat Loads: 28
Days Working: 318
Days Off: 124

Yep, real brutal pay and a selfish employer there!!! lol

8)
So.....does this mean that you no longer drive at Superior Cy? or did you go a do what ya was talkin about a few month's ago??

BTW, Miller Transporter "company" drivers are teamster. Union pension and benefits and all. Not so for the O/O's or driver's employeed by fleet owners, of which there are a few.
This is what it says on Miller's website, for driver qualifications :

Must be at least 21 years of age if married; If under 23 years of age, must be married.

Does the latter part make any sense at all ????
Old 11-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Rookie

they probably think you are more mature if you are married, that is a joke, I was married at 19 and it took until about 30 to finally grow up, 25 years later I think I have finally achieved it :lol:

Makes no sense
Old 11-25-2007, 02:25 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

.28 per mile 2500 miles =$ 700 divided by 6 days $116 divided by 12 hour days $ 9.72 per hour[/b].

Ha, Ha, I am a system driver at Superior. We have trucks that go 68 mph. . I Almost NEVER work twelve hours in a day unless I have to. I usually make my 650-660 miles within ten hours worked. ...Um ahem... I may log twelve, but I rarely work it.

Local guys... well that's a different story.
my truck will run 87 but we arent suppose to log over 62.[/quote]

We cannot however "average" more that 60 mph on our logs

You must have a different log sheet than me, mine goes by the hour... not by speed. Great company you have.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:
Quote:

Ha, Ha, I am a system driver at Superior. We have trucks that go 68 mph. . I Almost NEVER work twelve hours in a day unless I have to. I usually make my 650-660 miles within ten hours worked. ...Um ahem... I may log twelve, but I rarely work it.

You must have a different log sheet than me, mine goes by the hour... not by speed. Great company you have.
[/quote]

, they calculate how far you go in the hours you drive and then figure out how many mph you average, I think all companies do that, if you say you went 500 miles in 7 hours, something isnt right
Old 11-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:
Quote:

, they calculate how far you go in the hours you drive and then figure out how many mph you average, I think all companies do that, if you say you went 500 miles in 7 hours, something isnt right[/quote]

What would happen if your went 30 miles and the highway was shut down, for a accident or weather for 12 hrs what would you get paid?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:49 AM
Board Regular

If a highway is shut down and I am trapped and cannot exit I go on the clock. I turn in the hours on my pay sheet for the trip and am paid 14.95 per hour until I am moving again. They can check the time I report against the QC to verify I was sitting still.

I am sure you get paid by the hour because you are local. You could not possibly be paid by the mile because I imagine you rarely go more than a hundred or two miles in a day.

I however routinely go 550 to 650 miles per day and since I get 41.5 CPM plus accessorials I happily accept mileage pay. I have friends who work for UPS and one who works for Yellow. To a man they are all miserable and counting the years to retirement. I do not have that problem. I do not fight ridiculous traffic every day. I do not have to get out and move pallets to get into tight docks. I never have to tailgate my chemicals. I haven't ever had to back out of a cul-de-sac after tailgating an air compressor someone bought off E-BAY. I don't have to climb in and out of my truck fifteen or more times a day. No one micromanages my time and tells me how many deliveries or bills I have to make per hour.

You may love your hourly job but many of us prefer to work in an environment where we plan our schedules and have a little freedom. I am paid for every minute I work. I am often paid for two hours for a task that takes a few minutes. I am paid for my pretrip, I am paid to load, I am paid to drive to the consignee, I am paid to unload, I am paid to wash out my tank, I am paid to drive to the place I will spend the night, and I am paid to do my post trip. I really don't see how I could ask for more.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
If a highway is shut down and I am trapped and cannot exit I go on the clock. I turn in the hours on my pay sheet for the trip and am paid 14.95 per hour until I am moving again. They can check the time I report against the QC to verify I was sitting still.

I am sure you get paid by the hour because you are local. You could not possibly be paid by the mile because I imagine you rarely go more than a hundred or two miles in a day.

I however routinely go 550 to 650 miles per day and since I get 41.5 CPM plus accessorials I happily accept mileage pay. I have friends who work for UPS and one who works for Yellow. To a man they are all miserable and counting the years to retirement. I do not have that problem. I do not fight ridiculous traffic every day. I do not have to get out and move pallets to get into tight docks. I never have to tailgate my chemicals. I haven't ever had to back out of a cul-de-sac after tailgating an air compressor someone bought off E-BAY. I don't have to climb in and out of my truck fifteen or more times a day. No one micromanages my time and tells me how many deliveries or bills I have to make per hour.

You may love your hourly job but many of us prefer to work in an environment where we plan our schedules and have a little freedom. I am paid for every minute I work. I am often paid for two hours for a task that takes a few minutes. I am paid for my pretrip, I am paid to load, I am paid to drive to the consignee, I am paid to unload, I am paid to wash out my tank, I am paid to drive to the place I will spend the night, and I am paid to do my post trip. I really don't see how I could ask for more.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Board Regular

Wow,,,good stuff seems like your getting paid for all work done. In trucking, without a Union seems like Companies are always scamming drivers out of overtime, pension's hours worked, ect. If I were you I would keep my cards close to my chest.

Drivers that drove the ICE ROADS in Canada wished they kept there little know good paying jobs to there self's. After the show ICE ROAD TRUCKERS went on tv the wages went down hill. 65,000 drivers applied for the 300 jobs this year. Usually there need to hunt for drivers and pay them well for the job.
Just goes to show how easy a driver can be replaced for cheaper labor.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes, there are good non-union, non-LTL companies out here and Superior Carriers/Carry Transit are a couple of them. I myself rarely ever had a 12-hour on-duty day with Superior, never ran out of hours while out on the road, and will say that my normal work day consisted of a true, by-the-book-logging of nine to ten hours daily max. Now did I push more total hours than that daily? Yes, especially considering my normal day consists of pre-trip, driving four hours, half hour break, driving four hours, half hour break, etc. Obviously this is adjusted during loading/unloading days but still the basic principle remains the same for me. Superior/Carry isn't a company where the old "work 100 hours but only log 70" joke applies.

Also, I don't concern myself at all with the whole breaking down of OTR pay into hourly pay. It's not a big deal to me at all, especially considering that twelve years of my life were spent in the military..another occupation that forgotten by many is many more than "average" or "normal" hours and not paid all that well. I do know that what I made at Superior as a company driver was more than comfortable, especially with the time off I took.

My family and I's needs and wants were met and obtained, and that's all that mattered.

Hey Stan, last I heard and from talking with a Miller terminal manager, he said that not all the company driver's were union, and that it depended upon the individual terminal... Yep, doing that other thing we spoke of months ago. Will share with everyone else soon enough

Now, all bickering aside gang, can we please keep this thread open for those who are curious can see what the different tanker companies have to offer??? If we're going to argue this whole pay, hourly versus OTR, time off, etc. thing let's move it to another post...

8)

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."