User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I hope he comes back. It'd be nice to hear how it's going. I remember one thing he said was the timing of getting you invoices in by the cutoff date was important to cash flow. Info like that can help out L/O's.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Talking to him now....he's in TX...headed east... toward TN.... still doing well, and trust me...he can handle criticism, but the difference between him and others....he has a concrete business plan and a plan for where he's going and what he's doing...stay tuned for his updates!! 8)
:evil: Aww, gee whiz guys...... I'm flattered! :evil:

I had actually planned to exhume my old Swift Flatbed thread. But now, you have gone and started a new one for me <evil grin>.

November 7th marked my 6-month anniversary as a Swift O(Lease)/Operator. More on that later, though...

Such a coincedence, Sky... Chatting it up on the phone while you were reading the posts to me, just at a time when I thought it might be nice to update my once loyal audience as to the mischief of yours truly.

"Last I remember he said he wasn't gonna post because of the people ragging on him for leasing."

"awww cant take negative critisim.....what a shame"

Actually, that wasn't the case at all. And Tootie, you should know me better than to cave under a little flame. I never mind telling someone where to go and how to get there <hehe>!!!!!!!!

"Poverty of Imagination is not a Strength"

Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Looking Good! 8)
Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown
Looking Good! 8)
Thanks, Htown!

Yup, Ms. BB is still kickin'. I am so deeply in love with this hunk of bolts. Hard to believe that I've racked up 85,000 on her since signing the papers. She loves getting serviced as much as I do. She's had her fair share of visits to the shop in the past several weeks.

To date, she's gotten new steers, new batteries, a new starter, a new EGR valve, several ECM diagnostics, the re-rate and re-cal back in July, and she gets PM'd like clockwork every 15,000.

But, it pays off handsomely. Her monthly average fuel usage consistently comes back @ 6.8 mpg. Not too shabby for a Dub-9.

Late this winter, I am going to have these guys: http://www.fireemup.com/

Install their Diesel Magnum kit on my tractor. It all makes perfect sense to me. Between the power gain and the increase in fuel economy, my bottom line should look damn good. I might see 9 or so MPG by the time all is said and done.

Swift continues to satisfy... I was having some issues with my DM and fleet manager at the Gary terminal during the past month or so. I was getting quite pissed off about a decrease in my mileage. I did everything I could to resolve the matter, but it got worse-er.

I jumped over the guys in Gary and started a line of communication with the fleet manager @ the PHX terminal. It was a good call and much has come to be as a result.

One of the many things that has made my Swift-Life so good is that I have networked myself with the load planners in the various regions in which I run. We all know each other on a first name basis, they all know my truck number by heart, and they are always happy to receive my calls and route me when I am in their area. This helps immensely when a favor is needed now and then.

Yup. I've been with Swift for 9 months and there's no appeal for me to look outside the company.

I'm very pleased with the operations of the leasing department and its staff. Everyone is extremely helpful to me. There are a lot of things to learn, regarding protocol and procedures, but I seem to find my way around without much fuss.

Believe me when I say that this is hard work. The trainers and the teams, with two log books to play with, do much better than the solos. What makes it so challenging for solos is the fact that Swift sets the rate of re-payment on high. It can be done, though. And I am living proof that the lease is nothing like a fleece.

Still, they'd have to kill me to get me out of this thing...... :twisted:

Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Yo Clint-o...good to see you tappin the keyboard again. Reminds me I need to give you a call and check in on your world. 'Member...the invite is still valid if you make your way thru the Sactown area.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Clint...got your voice-mail....I'll call you in a few days.... I'm up to something 8) No, not a new job....no way I'm quitting my job!! I'm on vacation right now....and well... I'll just have to tell you later...

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Talking to him now....he's in TX...headed east... toward TN.... still doing well, and trust me...he can handle criticism, but the difference between him and others....he has a concrete business plan and a plan for where he's going and what he's doing...stay tuned for his updates!! 8)
Glad it's working out for him
Old 11-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Board Member

What ever happened to Randolph Scott?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Board Regular

Samael9 wrote:

Install their Diesel Magnum kit on my tractor. It all makes perfect sense to me. Between the power gain and the increase in fuel economy, my bottom line should look damn good. I might see 9 or so MPG by the time all is said and done.

Sounds like a good investment. Have you asked the mfg about propane consumption ratios ? or what size propane tank they recommend for your truck ? They pictured a 40 lb horizontal tank in the bed of a pick up.

Filling might be a challenge now and then unless you have access to a propane filling facility with easy access. Maybe you can mount an RV rack that secures a 30lb upright tank out of an an impact zone for easy access. Looks like a pretty nice product. Hope it works out ok for you.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbski
Samael9 wrote:

Sounds like a good investment. Have you asked the mfg about propane consumption ratios ? or what size propane tank they recommend for your truck ? They pictured a 40 lb horizontal tank in the bed of a pick up.

Filling might be a challenge now and then unless you have access to a propane filling facility with easy access. Maybe you can mount an RV rack that secures a 30lb upright tank out of an an impact zone for easy access. Looks like a pretty nice product. Hope it works out ok for you.
It is a very good investment. They claim a 40% savings in *combined* fuel cost. If it's even close to that, I'll be happy. Seeing as how I've burned nearly $40k's worth of juice so far, it will be a welcomed addition to my margin of profit.

I spent a long time on the phone with John @ Fire 'Em Up. Apparently, the ideal ratio of diesel to LPG is 80%/20%. They calibrate the system to stream heated/gaseous LPG at an optimally determined boost pressure. As the gas is fed into the intake tract, the ECM then trims back on the amount of fuel. I guess that the system will get dialed in on a chassis dyno before I take it away.

They have a specially developed 45 gallon tank for class 8 rigs that exceeds DOT safety requirements. Also, because of the relatively small capacity, it in no way butts up against HazMat regulations.

Even though I carry 300 gallons of juice, I only think in terms of 200 gallons. Given the 80/20 ratio, then 45 gallons of LPG should be fine.

As far as where to buy LPG? Just about ever F/J has bulk LPG. I may have to unhook to get pumped, but so what. The money I save, in the long run will be well worth the extra effort.

The whole sha-bang, installed will run just under $5000.00. It should pay itself off very quickly. Figure this: If I knock off even 20% in my overall fuel cost, that would mean 8 grand more in my pocket, at the time of this post.

Very exciting indeed...