User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Job Back

I completed the maverick training and was assigned a truck. I got kinda anxious and lost my self confidence about doing the job and I resigned after about a month. Since then, I honestly miss it, i got a desk job and haven't been happy since. Do you think they would take me back or has the drop in freight given them the choice of drivers.
Just curious
Old 07-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

You're asking the wrong people here..... You know who to ask. Get on the phone and do your "pitch". Don't be surprised if you have to get a little humble and even grovel a little...... Be a man about it, and get to it. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Job Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucog
I completed the maverick training and was assigned a truck. I got kinda anxious and lost my self confidence about doing the job and I resigned after about a month. Since then, I honestly miss it, i got a desk job and haven't been happy since. Do you think they would take me back or has the drop in freight given them the choice of drivers.
Just curious

Brucog;

Whatever you do, you must first realise that you are the victim of your own disorganised thinking. Take a good, hard, honest look at what you said.
(the highlighted part!)

Your sense of anxiousness and apprehensions were assets, not liabilities. The most dangerous driver on the road is the one who no longer feels a sense of apprehension. Why is that?? Because he quickly graduates to the next level of complacancy.

The moment you start to feel like you REALLY know what you are doing, that you've "got it all down", is the moment you should park the truck, set the brakes, walk away from the truck, and turn in your keys!!

There is nothing wrong with gaining confidence in your abilities, but that comes with time, and if you have that sense of self confidence after only one month, then you should get back behind a desk where you can't hurt yourself or anybody else.

Those feelings of apprehension and tension can be hard to deal with starting out, but as I said, with only one month under your belt, they are assets, not liabilities.

Wherever you go, you are going to have to go back through a training phase again, but you'll still be ahead of the curve from other noobs who have just graduated from their local Freight Relocation University!!

BOL2U

BTW: If you still have doubts, scroll down to the "Anything & Everything Trucker Related" Forum and look at "Fozzy's" excellent thread on "Trucker's Math Problem"!!

Surely, that should give you a boost!!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:24 AM

How long has it been dince you drove? I think it would be easier if it has only been a couple months vs a couple years. Even if there has been a drop in freight, there are still a lot of companies needing drivers so like the Skywalker said, get on the phone!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:43 PM

That is a great point about becoming complacent. That is such a great way to put it that your aprehension is an asset and not a liability. That helped me a great deal with my own thoughts! Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Rookie

I think part of my problem was that I didn't stay with my trainer log enough to get thorough experience. Especially with steel coils. My first solo load of coils freaked me out. I loaded in indiana and the company was very fast paced with their loading procedures. being a newbie, i felt like i needed to take it slow and make sure I didn't make a mistake. But there were drivers behind me and in front and the company personnel were really wanting me to hurry, if it hadn't been for the guy in front lending me much needed help. Im not sure what would've happened. I have nothing but praise for Maverick and my trainer. He told me I could stay with him as long as I felt like I needed to but patience is not a virtue of mine and I wanted to get out there in my own truck.

Comments anyone.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member

You are very much aware of your short-comings, which are not unique.

Myself, I experienced the exact same things that you did. I had a great deal of apprehension in the beginning...but I'm hard headed enough not to let it over rule my common sense. Apprehension is as much a safety device as anything else. Its your subconscious friend advising you not to get head strong or take any unnecessary risks. He tends to quiet down after you get some experience.

I returned to pulling a chemical tanker last October.....do you think that I didn't have my fair share of apprehension the first several times I went into chemical plants to get loaded and especially when I had to do the unloading at customer sites? I can assure you that I broke a sweat a few times.... and was very happy when I was finished and no spills or anything else. I rarely have it now, though when I go to a new place with different protocols, my little friend rears his head....and I listen.

Remember this.... No matter how fast they want to go, you are the driver, its your vehicle, and since you are responsible for the freight, its proper securement, and transport to its destination... You are entitled to take all the time you want, regardless of what they think or want. Don't be afraid to tell them you are new at it, and you are not going to hurry and make a mistake. Even if they don't like it....tough. If they rush you, and later there is a problem...they could share in the legal liability because they are culpably negligent due to the fact that they prevented you, on their property from properly doing your job.

You will never get the answer to your questions about whether or not they will take you back....until you call them. If need be, eat a bite or two of a slice of "humble pie", and if you really want a second chance...don't be afraid to admit you were premature in your decision making. Humble is good, arrogance and thinking you know it all can be deadly.

Go for it!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Senior Board Member

You need to have patience. Even though you hurried up and wanted to get out of your trainers truck as fast as possible only to feel that you didn't spend enough time with him. Did your trainer feel you were ready to go solo? You may have to go back out with a trainer until YOU are confident enough to say I AM READY.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Senior Board Member

load securement should never be hurried ESPECIALLY WITH FLATBEDS.

that is the reason why i don't pull one. I have seen a couple of coils come off their trailer and the troubles they caused..

Nick
Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Board Regular
Default Sky & Useless

Awesome responses....very good choice of words, well thought out, most pertinent, and really encouraging for newbies like me. Thanks a lot guys !!