User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Family Dollar dedicated account

Hi there. Any one have any info on the family dollar dedicated account? Running from Virginia up to Maine and in between. Supposedly they pay to unload and for stops. Weekends off. Is my mind being toyed with. I'd really like to get off OTR and spend more time at home and also make a more steady paycheck.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Board Icon

Well, I know that Jacobson has that account. Not sure about your area. May want to check into Jacobson, and see. They have good benefits, and the pay is pretty good, for what I've heard.

Also, Werner has that account as well.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Family Dollar dedicated account

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm172666
Hi there. Any one have any info on the family dollar dedicated account? Running from Virginia up to Maine and in between. Supposedly they pay to unload and for stops. Weekends off. Is my mind being toyed with. I'd really like to get off OTR and spend more time at home and also make a more steady paycheck.
I hope that you are REAL GOOD at backing a trailer into tight spots. Most of those stores where not made for big trucks. I have seen and talked to some driver that do Family Dollar and Dollar General and lot of them say that the money is not worth it. Everything comes off the trailer by hand and onto a roller belt. When your HOS are up at the end of the day you may find yourself sleeping in a store parking lot and no where near any place to take a shower and after unloading inside a hot trailer all day, you would want to take one.
If you are intrested in a job like that, then may I suggest looking into a Foodservice company such as PFG. Not sure where in VA you are at but PFG has a big place in Richmond(Virgina Foodservice). The hometime, benifits and pay are worth it and it is easier then retail deliver.
Either way there is alot of physical work involved.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 10-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Rookie

Actually, the runs go from VA to Maine. I live in NYC.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Actually, the runs go from VA to Maine. I live in NYC.
Cross the Bridge into NJ and you can find several compaines that are looking for drivers if you don't mind physical work.
I'll give a start:
AFI/PFG Elizabeth, NJ (home every night)
Ferriero Foods Piscataway, NJ exit 7 off 287 and Roma Foods(same exit)
Both run into NYC and Long Island. I use to deliver to both and I know that they are expanding and looking for drivers. Pay is good. Know several drivers at both places. Was asked to work for both but I don't want to move at this time.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-09-2007, 03:03 AM
Board Regular

Sux. Too much work and PITA docks.
Quote:
Old 12-09-2007, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
I hope that you are REAL GOOD at backing a trailer into tight spots. Most of those stores where not made for big trucks. I have seen and talked to some driver that do Family Dollar and Dollar General and lot of them say that the money is not worth it. Everything comes off the trailer by hand and onto a roller belt. When your HOS are up at the end of the day you may find yourself sleeping in a store parking lot and no where near any place to take a shower and after unloading inside a hot trailer all day, you would want to take one.
If you are intrested in a job like that, then may I suggest looking into a Foodservice company such as PFG. Not sure where in VA you are at but PFG has a big place in Richmond(Virgina Foodservice). The hometime, benifits and pay are worth it and it is easier then retail deliver.
Either way there is alot of physical work involved.

Dollar -G and UN-Family dollar suck the backing horror stories mostly come from rookies who have no idea how to back b/c DollarG and Family dollar are easier to back than most Pilot truck stops ...what does suck is there are no docks to unload from , so you end up either with a lift gate ( family dollar) or a ramp and roll tainers (Dollar-G) ...You will be carrying stuff across icy lots in the winter and unloading vans that reach 150 degress in the summer heat ...These accounts are where the majority of Werners Workmans comp issue origionate from slips,trips ,And falls .

on a funny side not I knew a driver that was on the Dollar General account at Werner that was un-loading at a store he was at the bottom of the ramp moving stuff around ,and a roll tainer rolled out of the trailer he couldn't stop it ,and it hit the side of the building ...no damage ...but the store manager reported it , and he was charged a preventable accident on his dac...And the man wasn't even driving .
Old 12-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Board Regular

My other half did Family Dollar dedicated for Werner, and it didn't last long. Family dollar is either easy to back into or it's impossible. The trailers get unbearably hot in the summer. I helped him on a 3 stopper once. I like physical work, but once was enough for me. You need to be in good shape for it, it's alot of bending. And how they load those trailers..... you better watch your head.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Rookie

I'm a little late finding this but I'll tell you what I know and maybe you'll find it helpfull. I did Family Dollar dedicated when I worked at BoWevil Express. I run out of the West Memphis DC. We pulled their trailers. Most were not in good shape. All the loads were out and back. About every 3rd load we would have to pick up a backhaul for them going to the DC. It was all drop and hook at ther DC. Each store you delivered had to be tailgated. We had rollers. After it was on the tailgate it was the stores responsibility. Most loads were 4 - 6 stops. I've had them with as many as 14 stops and some where one store got the whole load. Most of the freight was light and not hard to handle. Some was heavy but not much. Some places were easy to back in to, some were a pain. Any FD store in a big metro area is in a bad neighborhood more than likely. As far as pay goes each carrier was different. We got mileage pay, unload pay and stop pay. In the summer I had a box fan and an extension cord and would plug it in at the store, but it still got plenty hot in the trailer, but not unbearably so. Cold in the winter and snow could be a problem at some of the stores. I did it for 2 years and it wasn't that bad. The pay was about average and I was home weekends and once during the week. If you aren't in good physical shape you'll never make it. I quit the dedicated fleet and went back to their OTR fleet because I just got tired of humping boxes and FD DC isn't the most driver friendly place. They are a real biotch about paperwork. Hope this helped you some