User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 03:31 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driver Solutions -> Star Transport

Im not really asking questions regarding the above. Its been a long year of looking into this company and that company, but the topic is the route that I choose to take.

Driver Solutions is a normal Recruiting outfit that pairs you, the new know nothing about anything rookie, with one of several different "starter companies" and those starter companies pick up the tab for your schooling and what not. You have to pay some back, but its over the lenght of a 1 year employment agreement with the carrier you choose to go to, which for me was STAR Transport out of Morton IL.

Anyhow though, back on topic of this post. I have always come here to CAD to read from others opinions and mistakes, so I thought I would share with others that are in the situation I was in my expierences.

I am working in blogging all the nitty gritty details of my trip through this route that I have taken, as I want to share with you guys on how things have gone and will go. More so a informational tool for the new person if you know what I mean.

Anyhow though, I just started the blog, and will be catching up the entries tommorow for those of you that are really interested in it. Right now Im sitting at home waiting till after the holidays to be picked up by a trainer so I can fill you in all the way up to that point.

You can find the blog at http://6thwheel.blogspot.com

Thanks guys for all your help. I feel I made a somewhat decent decision since Im not working for Crash N Roll!

P.S. If this is in the wrong board, feel free to move it. I put it here mainly for the people searching the boards for answers about said companies that I mentioned.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Senior Board Member

What eqipment does Star currently run ?
Old 12-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Board Regular

Star out of morton uses pete 387's with cat motors and 13 speed transmissions. Their trailers are wabash dry vans.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberducky
Star out of morton uses pete 387's with cat motors and 13 speed transmissions. Their trailers are wabash dry vans.
What he said.

Thier equipment is pretty nice. They start to replace the trucks every 500k miles. They're switching over thier fleet right now to the 386's with a few new features, like on-board GPS.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I thought 387 ,because I swore I saw a terminal off I think I-80 somewhere...can't rember the state...But there a bunch of white Pete's sitting there , However their website was showing century's , So I was confused at that ....A century is great when parked ,However moving it feels more like boat in a harsh storm . :lol:
Old 12-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Well, the 99.9% majority of thier fleet is 387's. I havent seen any Freightliners yet. I think your looking at the wrong company though.

Star Transport(ation) - http://www.startransportation.com/

Star Transport - http://www.startransport.com/

Im with the bottom one. The first one looks like a century, but thats a different company all together.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehedgecock
Well, the 99.9% majority of thier fleet is 387's. I havent seen any Freightliners yet. I think your looking at the wrong company though.

Star Transport(ation) - http://www.startransportation.com/

Star Transport - http://www.startransport.com/

Im with the bottom one. The first one looks like a century, but thats a different company all together.

YEP!... looking at the wrong company.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I got started with Star. I think they are a pretty good company to start out with. It was rare to have a "live" load or unload with them. Seemed like all I did was Caterpillar and Morton Salt loads.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Rookie

Yea, I think they said that 30 some % of thier freight is from CAT. Heck, there is like 2 or 3 CAT facilities there in Peoria and Morton. I just started, and all I have seen for now was a relay load to Cincinnati from Pactiv, or however thats spelled. Was more or less catching a ride back to Cincy from Morton. I start my actually training hopefully after the holidays.

I figured, out of all the "starter" companies out thier, why not start with a smaller one. At least they are more likely to keep to thier word than butter everythign up like CR England and Schnieder do. Probably the best thing about it is that they ARE a small company. 900 trucks roughly, and that means that they havent gotten the ($)($) so much in thier minds yet like the super carriers do. I could be wrong, but they have treated me awesome since I started. Things are different than whats was promised, but thier is more better changes than worse changes. Im glad im at where im at.

Anyhow though, Im going to try to get some detail about DS and the C1 School in tonight on the blog for those that are interested. I wanted to have them done today, but been busy with the family.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Driver Solutions -> Star Transport

Driver Solutions + Star = Lots of vasilene
Good luck. Numb your mind for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehedgecock
Im not really asking questions regarding the above. Its been a long year of looking into this company and that company, but the topic is the route that I choose to take.

Driver Solutions is a normal Recruiting outfit that pairs you, the new know nothing about anything rookie, with one of several different "starter companies" and those starter companies pick up the tab for your schooling and what not. You have to pay some back, but its over the lenght of a 1 year employment agreement with the carrier you choose to go to, which for me was STAR Transport out of Morton IL.

Anyhow though, back on topic of this post. I have always come here to CAD to read from others opinions and mistakes, so I thought I would share with others that are in the situation I was in my expierences.

I am working in blogging all the nitty gritty details of my trip through this route that I have taken, as I want to share with you guys on how things have gone and will go. More so a informational tool for the new person if you know what I mean.

Anyhow though, I just started the blog, and will be catching up the entries tommorow for those of you that are really interested in it. Right now Im sitting at home waiting till after the holidays to be picked up by a trainer so I can fill you in all the way up to that point.

You can find the blog at http://6thwheel.blogspot.com

Thanks guys for all your help. I feel I made a somewhat decent decision since Im not working for Crash N Roll!

P.S. If this is in the wrong board, feel free to move it. I put it here mainly for the people searching the boards for answers about said companies that I mentioned.